Made a deal. thanks.

K1LLROI
03-13-2010, 10:04 AM
BUMP...

Cokebottle
03-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't think they're made anymore.
The "black" was a lubricant.

The Winchester Ranger SXT JHP is basically the same round, but really, there's just a lot of mythology about the round's capabilities and the Speer Gold Dot is just as effective and reliable at expansion.

But assuming you want them for a presentation/collection/display... I wish you luck.

Cokebottle
03-13-2010, 10:44 AM
BTW:
Here's a guy in the SFO area:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=279295

$60 for 20rds of .45.

K1LLROI
03-13-2010, 1:48 PM
Yeah, I read up on all the rumors. Kind of silly. I read they stopped making it due to pressure from certain people.

I was hoping someone stocked deep, and wouldn't mind letting some go.

Thanks for the heads up Cokebottle.

Cokebottle
03-13-2010, 4:18 PM
Yeah, I read up on all the rumors. Kind of silly. I read they stopped making it due to pressure from certain people.
Ya, they were touted by the media as if they were some kind of magic bullet.
They had a teflon coating that allowed them to penetrate body armor (the black coating is to aid in chambering and reduce barrel fouling).

From there, there were two different reports on what they did... one wasn't far from the truth, the other was pure imagination.

When they expand, the jacket forms claws that cause massive tissue damage.
Duhh... isn't that what a JHP is supposed to do? Massive tissue damage or not, a person shot is more likely to survive two or three big holes than six or eight little holes.

The pure imagination was that they "exploded" on impact and spread thousands of tiny sharpened plastic pieces through the body, making it virtually impossible for a surgeon to save a patient.
They honestly believed that they are little fragmentation grenades!

The Speer GD and Federal HST, as well as the Winchester Ranger, all have jackets that "fold back" and create "talons".

mikengracie
03-14-2010, 10:00 AM
During that period I bought a few boxes and put them in my defense magazines. Still have 357, 44 mag and 45. maybe a few boxes of each.
Federal hydroshocks produced more damage but only the Talons were blacklisted.

vantec08
03-14-2010, 10:15 AM
pm sent