PDA

View Full Version : What does the COE do??

eighteenninetytwo
03-12-2010, 9:56 AM
I get the C&R thing, Somone like SOG will send rifles to my door. Can somone tell me what the COE and fingerprint document is for? do I have to have that aswell as a C&R or is that juts for CA purposes?

Z ME FLY
03-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Usually some FFLs require you to have a COE. COE tells them you are ok to have a firearm. People can get a COE without a C&R if they are question if they have a firearm or not.

Also having a C&R and COE allow you to dros an C&R handgun or rifle at a ffl and bring it home the same day vs. waiting the 10 day dros period.

Cokebottle
03-12-2010, 11:13 AM
COE also exempts you from the 1-every-30 day handgun limit.
It is believed that, once (or if) AB962 goes into effect, it will still allow for online purchase of handgun ammo.

eighteenninetytwo
03-12-2010, 2:02 PM
So I actually have to send my COE AND C&R to a supplier befire they will ship to me. And to buy a c&R rifle in , Big5 for example, I have to have my COE with me aswell as my C&R?

cryoguy
03-12-2010, 2:19 PM
So I actually have to send my COE AND C&R to a supplier befire they will ship to me. And to buy a c&R rifle in , Big5 for example, I have to have my COE with me aswell as my C&R?

That is correct

timdps
03-12-2010, 2:35 PM
Just took a look at the CGF C&R wiki and added some COE information.
There is COE info in the wiki, but COE is not shown in the index, so there does not appear to be any way to directly access the info.

Tim

Cokebottle
03-12-2010, 3:05 PM
COE is not needed.
When buying a long gun from Big-5, the 03FFL is not even needed.
C&R long guns are "cash and carry". C&R handguns still have to be DROS'd, having the 03FFL and COE eliminates the 10 day wait.
That is correct
Only with respect to online ammo purchases after AB962 goes into effect.
Currently, there is no need (or use) for the COE outside of California or for online purchases.

Cokebottle
03-12-2010, 3:07 PM
Usually some FFLs require you to have a COE. COE tells them you are ok to have a firearm. People can get a COE without a C&R if they are question if they have a firearm or not.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Where did you get this?
The background check tells them that you are ok to have a firearm.

paul0660
03-12-2010, 3:14 PM
C&R long guns are "cash and carry". Not from dealers like Big 5. Without a c&r and coe, you still need to dros and wait 10 days, just like handguns of all ages.

Z ME FLY
03-12-2010, 3:22 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Where did you get this?
The background check tells them that you are ok to have a firearm.

You are correct the background check tells them you are legally able to own a firearm BUT the COE shows that you had your background check already and you are good to go. For example, a lot of times people have questions on if they are legally able to own a firearm based on their past history, so they fill out the COE to see if they can or not. Based on that it will tell them if they are good to go. This is why I believe they ask for a C&R and COE when getting something from a FFL, I don't know that for a fact just guessing. But here is a quote that I found.

The C&R, by itself, allows you to purchase C&R firearms (handguns and long guns of any vintage) while out of state. It also allows you to mail/internet order 50+ year old long guns and have them shipped to your door.

YOur C&R, by itself, does not give you any other privledges while in CA.

The COE, Certificate of Eligibility, is an extra state+federal background check you can have done. With it, you are entitled to a couple exemptions to CA law. With both the C&R+COE, you are exempt from the 10-day wait on all C&R firearms from a dealer. You do have to DROS it, but you can cash-and-carry right after you finish the paperwork. You also are exempt from the 1-handgun-a-month law for ALL handguns, C&R and Modern. You still have to do the 10-day wait for modern firearms.

How to get a COE, here's the app, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf. Just follow the directions and you are set. There is a link to livescan locations in the instructions. It costs about 75-85 for the first year, and renewals are ~$25 per year.

Pretty good to just have when you have a c&r I think. It would be nice to walk into Big 5 and walk out with a Mosin.

Cokebottle
03-12-2010, 3:33 PM
You are correct the background check tells them you are legally able to own a firearm BUT the COE shows that you had your background check already and you are good to go. For example, a lot of times people have questions on if they are legally able to own a firearm based on their past history, so they fill out the COE to see if they can or not.
That's a pretty expensive way to do it.... $22 plus the Livescan and other fees.
The 03FFL is only $30 for 3 years... the COE initial cost is over $100.
It's much easier just to fill out the DOJ eligibility check paperwork and pay whatever it is (I think it's under $20, or maybe even free).

Z ME FLY
03-12-2010, 3:34 PM
That's a pretty expensive way to do it.... $22 plus the Livescan and other fees.
The 03FFL is only $30 for 3 years... the COE initial cost is over $100.
It's much easier just to fill out the DOJ eligibility check paperwork and pay whatever it is (I think it's under $20, or maybe even free).

Yup!
But damn, I need to fill out my c&r app. When I do, I will get my COE too. Then.. I can hunt down some c&r handguns :)

Cokebottle
03-12-2010, 3:39 PM
Yup!
But damn, I need to fill out my c&r app. When I do, I will get my COE too. Then.. I can hunt down some c&r handguns :)
Oh absolutely... if you've got the 03, there's no reason not to get the COE.
I just don't see a big advantage in having one or the other unless you go to gun shows out of state hunting for C&R.

dfletcher
03-12-2010, 3:46 PM
I have C & R FFL and the COE.

The COE is useless outside of California and I have never had any FFL inside CA ask me for it when I was purchasing a gun WITHOUT the use of the C & R. I've never had or heard of a CA FFL saying "Hmm, I'm not sure you're OK to buy - got a COE?" and be convinced I am OK. Just my experience. Further, one could get a COE in Jan, do dastardly things in March and still possess the COE - the background at time of sale is what is relied upon, not the COE. Again, just my experience - if someone who works in a gun store can answer maybe we'll get a different POV.

Having the COE in conjunction with a C & R FFL allows no wait on C & R guns and no "one per 30" on any handgun to include modern.

I believe the COE also dispenses with the need for an HSC when buying C & R handguns, but since the HSC is much cheaper and still required for modern handguns I keep my HSC current.

Oldbud
03-12-2010, 3:56 PM
Just took a look at the CGF C&R wiki and added some COE information.
There is COE info in the wiki, but COE is not shown in the index, so there does not appear to be any way to directly access the info.

TimFrom the wiki's (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/) main page there is an entry in the index for "1.6 Curio and Relic/Licensed Collectors (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page#Curio_and_Relic.2FLicensed_Collectors)" which takes you down further on the main page of sub sections.

The title of the subsection "Curio and Relic/Licensed Collectors (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Curio_and_Relic/Licensed_Collectors)" is the actual link to a page of further info of the 03 FFL & the COE. Of course that page has a index of subsections as well.