PDA

View Full Version : Request for suggestions on making my wife's range trips better

outland
03-11-2010, 7:40 PM
So last weekend I was able to take my wife on her first range trip. I borrowed a friends 22lr ruger, and I made some super soft 9mm handloads. About a half hour into it she was done. I love to shoot and I'm hoping I can get her interested. She wants so go again, and she understands the importance of self defence. I'm looking for some suggestions on making her range trips more comfortable. She expressed the following issues.

1. The earmuff ear pro was uncomfortable. in retrospect she believes her ear rings were digging into her neck. She hates things in her ears, I tried plugs but she didn't like it. I'm wondering if custom plugs would work. Are there any super comfy options for ear pro?

2. She is supposed to wear glasses. she hates wearing them, but she couldn't see the target and the sights. So she wore her glasses and some oversized shooting glasses that went over her specs. They were kinda slipping on her nose and bothering her. I believe the double glasses were bothering her ear pro. I think it was prying up the ear muffs.

3. She was cold

4. Now this one is mine and it correlates with 1. She did allot of flinching when others were shooting. The ear pro needs to be quieter.

I remember the first time I was at the range, It was a little unnerving, I'd shot before but outdoors and not with other shooters. Maybee an outdoor range would be better. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48841&stc=1&d=1268364403

masameet
03-11-2010, 8:15 PM
I think your wife needs to toughen up a little. lol

For the cold weather I wear Patagonia Capilene 1 and 2 garments underneath my regular street clothes. (They're basically thermal underwear.) Also wear my current favorite cap (I think it's wool) that's topped with a little wool puff ball on a string. A leather jacket or an old goose down vest complement my warmth needs. A few days ago a storm was blowing in while we were at the range. One moment there was sunshine and the next we had skies darkened with thick grey clouds, gusting winds, rain, and then hail. Fun! The guys were going Brrrr! I even encouraged one fellow to retrieve his wool jacket from his car. I myself was feeling fairly toasty comfortable.

I like the Howard Leight Impact Sports electronic ear muffs (http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1268366108&sr=8-4). It's comfy and collapses to a compact size. It also attenuates the human voice over gunshots. Since I ride motorcycles I'm already used to wearing foam earplugs (http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Earplugs-Uncorded-NRR33/dp/B0013A0C0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1268366280&sr=1-1). The ear muffs are rated at NR 23dB and the Howard Leight orange foam ear plugs are rated at NR 33 db. When everybody's shooting, I find wearing both ear plugs and ear muffs help me concentrate better. (It's also a great way to ignore the gabby shooters who can't shoot! lol)

As to seeing, lol. She's gotta be able to see the target, whether at 3 yards, 7 yards, 15 yards, 25 yards, etc. BTW I wear glasses. I'm blind without them.

Flinching is normal for beginners and experienced shooters. It's part of anticipating the recoil. I bet she even closes her eyes just as she pulls the trigger. lol I do this stuff too and it's nothing to be ashamed of. For sure, bad habits like these are meant to be overcome. If she's willing, encourage her to take a firearms lesson or two soon and with someone who can instill in her the basic fundamentals of good shooting technique. After that, it's then a matter of practicing at the range, dryfiring at home, building up one's stamina, contemplating one's actions when things are not going well at the range, etc.

outland
03-11-2010, 8:49 PM
Great reply thanks!

Yea she's a softie... but that's one of the reasons I'm with her.

What do you do with your glasses? do you wear saftey glasses over them or do you have larger corrective lenses?

Foam earplugs are definitely out i tried that already, but those earmuffs look awesome though. I think that'll be on my weekend shopping list.

Thermals are a great idea. and maybe a regular fleece. everything she has is low cut or frilly or pockety just perfect to catch spent brass.

You should of seen the heels/boots she wore. Awesome

soopafly
03-11-2010, 9:13 PM
What do you do with your glasses? do you wear saftey glasses over them or do you have larger corrective lenses?
I wear prescription glasses and had similar problems with finding comfortable eye protection. I finally ponied up the money and got myself Oakley prescription sunglasses with polarized polycarbonate lenses.
http://www.oakley.com/women/search/women+prescription+sunglasses
With a single pair of eyewear I now have:
1. prescription lenses...I can see clearly!
2. polarized sunglasses...lotta sun? notta problem!
3. polycarbonate lens construction...rated for use as safety eyewear, no more doubling up!
The pair I bought came in at just under 4 bills, and it's well worth the money. They are also very durable. I accidentally sat on my pair just 3 days into owning them and thought, "Crap! I just wasted $400!" My glasses separated into 3 pieces and I just snapped them back together...good as new! It was like nothing happened.:coolgleamA:

NorCalMama
03-11-2010, 9:29 PM
lol, she definitely sounds like a girlie girl!

Ok, so as a chick myself, I'll tell you, I HAD to initially double up the ear protection. And no, it didn't feel nice having these expanding ear plugs in my ears, but I'll take that any day over having a veritable cannon going off next to my head with inadequate protection on. As for the eye protection, my husband wears his corrective lenses and nothing else. I don't really see any reason to double up. As for being cold, just have her wear thicker layers/warmer clothes. Or wait for the weather to get warmer. I'm not really into shooting when it's cold, but will do it because I LOVE to shoot!

And the flinching, me too! I don't know if it's because I'm female so I'm more sensitive, but I flinched a TON, and ultimately, it just took exposure to get comfortable around it. It's kind of like driving. At first you're hesitant and make mistakes. You aren't too comfortable and feel like you'll never get the hang of it, but over time it becomes second nature and gets easier and easier.
One huge huge thing that helped me was getting lessons. Once she KNOWS that she knows how to properly stand, grip, etc she'll have more confidence and get more comfortable.
Where are you guys located? I'm always looking for ladies to get together to go shooting, so if you're up in this area, let me know. Who knows, maybe she'd do better with other women?

Good luck and give it time. She'll be fine! :)

outland
03-11-2010, 9:41 PM
East Bay area. I'll talk to her about a class. Anyone know of a good female friendly class in the bay area?

I don't know if her specs would qualify as safety glasses they are a little small. What exactly are the specifications? they look kinda like these... I'll post pictures of hers when I can.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48845&stc=1&d=1268372412

Sheepdog1968
03-11-2010, 10:27 PM
My gf (close to future wife) will come along and I've learned a few things that have helped. Pack lunches and snacks for the two of you and get those moist towletts to wipe your hands. Buy a thermos and fill it with her favorite hot tea or hot chocolate.

I did the following and it really helped. Buy her some thin shooting gloves. Buy her those hand muff warmers u can wear around the waist and also buy plenty of those hand warmer packets and put them inside. I double her up on hearing and she finds the outdoor ranges more pleasant. Be the pack mule and take all the stuff from the car to the shooting benches and back when u r done. I sprung for a womans only training class just so she could get some formal training. Buy her flowers the day of or day before. Also consider making her breakfast

The more you can dote on her, the more she will appreciate how much you are trying to make it enjoyable for her and she will indeed enjoy it and look forward to it. Also, I find the my gf doesn't want to stay as long at the range as I do so when she starts to get tired, loose interst take a snack, lunch break. If she after resting is done for the day then leave. Over time she will likely want to stay longer.

In the near future my gf and I are going to an appleseed enent so she can learn marksmanship in a fun environment. Might be worth doing one when one is offered in your area.

Good luck and I hope she enjoys it.

Sheepdog1968
03-11-2010, 10:37 PM
East Bay area. I'll talk to her about a class. Anyone know of a good female friendly class in the bay area?

I don't know if her specs would qualify as safety glasses they are a little small. What exactly are the specifications? they look kinda like these... I'll post pictures of hers when I can.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48845&stc=1&d=1268372412

Bill Tidwell and his wife teach from time to time out at the Livermoore Rod and Gun club. They are a very nice couple in their 50s who are mellow and might even offer a womans class. Google them and their names should pop up. If not, their names are on the Reeds indoor shooting range in Santa Clara and they also teach there as well. In terms of female onle classes. Liza Normandy teaches one. She can be reached via Jackson Arms. She teaches from time to time at some other ranges. My gf took a class from her in Nov in San Rafael for all women and loved it. Liza is planning on offering one in the near future. Liza is also a very good choice.

masameet
03-11-2010, 11:33 PM
I did the Tidwells' Train2BeSafe (http://www.train2besafe.com/index.html) NRA First Steps Pistol class in Livermore. Loved it! When they had us initially work in class with a pistol and then a revolver, just getting used to racking the slide/opening the wheel, inserting a snap cap, and then reopening the slide/wheel to remove the snap cap, I thought: Man, this is kinda hard! lol

In the shooting segment we each shot their handguns -- among them was a S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum la Dirty Harry. Whoo-ee! The thing went BOOM! so fast, I wanted to say: Can I have another shot?

Cathy let us gals shoot her Lady S&W .38. It had rosewood grips, as I recall. That was a sweet little revolver.

outland, I'm in the East Bay too. After your wife completes a pistols class, I can suggest a great local firearms instructor with whom she can do one-on-one training, if she likes. Plus some of us occasionally go over to Bullseye on Wednesdays for Ladies Night, where we get free range use. It can be cold in that indoor range though, so if and when you two come along, make sure she brings a nice fleece jacket just in case.

Catheaven
03-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Also coming from a lady I can totally understand where she's coming from.
I think her glasses should be enough for the eye protection. My husband wears his everyday glasses and hasn't encountered any problems.

For the ear protection I have to agree with her about not liking the foam thingies. I just don't like the fact of anything sticking in my ear. Maybe try and look for another brand of ear protection for her? The other thing if possible have her take off her earrings or wear only studs.

As for the flinching I've only been out shooting less than a handful of times and I still flinch pretty bad when I initially walk into the range room. I think it'll just take time for her to get used to it. I tend to forget about the noise since I get engrossed in shooting and learning about my gun.

For the cold definitely just dress warmer.

Have her try and shoot different types of pistols. That's what initially got me started. I shot a bunch of different guns and found a few that I really liked and of course some I didn't like it.

You could always show her sites where there are the pistols that are custom colored. :)

Good luck

soopafly
03-12-2010, 12:44 AM
NO! NO! NO! This does not suffice. I cannot stress enough the importance of proper safety eyewear. At a minimum, the eyewear should wrap around and close up any gaps where any debris can reach the eye. Another Calgunner had to have surgery to remove metal particles from his eyes because he thought his regular prescription glasses were "good enough." If you value your vision, a few hundred bucks to protect it is cheap. Those who are fashion conscious should consider the Oakley saftey eyewear I linked to earlier. http://www.oakley.com/women/search/women+prescription+sunglasses
The eyewear that can be had with polycarbonate lenses are what you look for.

Steyrlp10
03-12-2010, 12:51 PM
NO! NO! NO! Those who are fashion conscious should consider the Oakley saftey eyewear I linked to earlier. http://www.oakley.com/women/search/women+prescription+sunglasses
The eyewear that can be had with polycarbonate lenses are what you look for.

I'd like to add that I fish with Oakleys that are prescription-wear. I'm not sure if you're a LEO, but there's a discount for the agencies.

To the OP, is your wife open to posting on here? We don't bite - lol. Just curious to hear from her directly about her concerns since there are female Calgunners who are quite experienced in their respective disciplines.

1. Personally, I prefer outdoor ranges to indoor ones, but when it comes to practice, sometimes there's not much of a choice when it comes to travel time. Not to repeat any of the prior posts, but indoor ranges tend to be louder if someone is shooting CF. I have custom plugs, but I suggest ear muffs over customs when indoors. The part of her wearing earrings, well, she needs to consider sport-appropriate attire -- no matter how pretty she looks on the line.

After all, is she learning a new skill (like driving a car,) or is she just slinging lead and doesn't care about the end result?

2. Cold, eh? Well, given the alternative of breathing in the dust and fumes, she needs to understand that the fans are going for a reason. Duck hunters are the best advisors when it comes to recommending layered clothing. I bass fish, so I know what real cold is like, especially when the lake looks like an ocean - lol

3. Flinching is the beginning of a bad habit that will be hard to stop. There isn't a rush for her to learn CF, is there? I would suggest sticking with a .22/air pistol until she understands what the sight picture, grip, and breathing are all about. Again, this is like driving. There's a lot happening all at once without making her feel anxious. Some people think a .22 and air pistol are toys, but if you see the match grade price tags, you'll change your mind.

At any rate, let her know not to be discouraged. We all start somewhere. Feel free to drop me a line if she has any questions. I compete at Chabot in Castro Valley.

Good luck!

outland
03-14-2010, 2:17 PM
I'd love for her to post, but it's hard enough to get her to the range much less talk to people about it. We'll have to look into glasses, and I'm going to try to get her into a class. Hopefully I'll be able to get her into a female only class I think she'll be more comfortable with that. Thanks for looking at the glasses I didn't feel comfortable with her wearing them they look a little small.

On a side note, thanks for the great replys calguns has been an invaluable resource. I appreciate all of the advise.

pax
03-14-2010, 5:34 PM
It is NOT fun to shoot if you are uncomfortable. And if it is not fun, then why would you want to shoot? (Unless you *had* to.)

To the OP:

#1 and #4: When shooting indoors, double up the hearing protection, earplugs and earmuffs. Outdoors should be fine without doubling up. There are different types and sizes of earplugs, the Howard Leight Laser Lite Earplugs are low pressure foam designed for smaller ear canals, and disposable plugs are more hygienic. The earmuffs should be have a good seal yet not fit so tight as to cause the temples of the eye protection to embed themselves into the head. If wearing a hat for warmth or for additional protection against flying brass, the behind the head style of muffs are an option. If dangling earrings interfere with earmuffs and are a bother, then remove them, studs should be OK.

#4 Get familiar with the handgun outside the range - dryfire helps a lot. Learning to relax and not tense up is key.

#3 Indoor ranges tend to run cold especially in winter, I always tell new shooters to always pack a warm jacket when shooting indoors. At an outdoor range on a cold day, you might also need gloves or chemical handwarmers to keep the trigger finger from getting cold. Hats are not just for keeping the head warm, they also help keep the sun off. And stray brass.

#2 Eyewear is important for safety. If contacts are not an option, then with the next Rx, make sure that impact-resistant lenses are used. Depending on the Rx, Oakley-style wraparound frames may or may not be an option. If the curvature of Oakleys will not work for your Rx, work with a firearm-friendly optician (ask around at your range or on Calguns) to get an appropriate frame that still provides protection.

Ask your wife what would type of basic firearms class would be more fun for her. Would private lessons fit her schedule better? Would she be fine in a small class? Would she be more comfortable if she and a friend were in a class together? Would she be more comfortable if the other students in the class were all women? If the instructor(s) was also a woman? Would she like you to drive her to and from the class, or is she OK going on her own? Where would she like to go for lunch/dinner after her class?

Hope this helps.

Intimid8tor
03-14-2010, 5:50 PM
This is a great thread. I bought a mp 15-22 and it is what my wife will learn on. Now when I take her, we can be prepared from the start.

Ladyliss
03-15-2010, 12:08 PM
When I'm getting ready to go to an indoor range, I always make sure to dress warmly. Wear a high-necked shirt (have had hot shells fall in my top), wear a baseball-cap (have had hot shells also get wedged between my glasses and my brow). I have a feeling a burn would turn her off further.
I bring my own earplugs and safety glasses.
We also have silicon plugs our kids use that custom form to your ear, she might find those more comfortable as those don't go in the canal. (You can get them at the drugstore.)
To get her used to pulling a trigger, she can practice with snap-caps at home.
Over time, she will get used to the environment of the range and hopefully she'll really enjoy it. It is my favorite way to spend date night with my husband.

El Gato
03-15-2010, 12:12 PM
1. The earmuff ear pro was uncomfortable. in retrospect she believes her ear rings were digging into her neck. She hates things in her ears, I tried plugs but she didn't like it. I'm wondering if custom plugs would work. Are there any super comfy options for ear pro?

the ear pro is ok.. find some with soft pads on the cups and add plugs if the noise makes her jumpy.. custom plugs are really expensive and foam works pretty well.. in an indoor range I like both for our female customers...men will find using both a plus... I use both when shooting rifle competition to filter out the noise...

2. If she bought her reading/seeing glasses in california they are acceptable as shooting glasses...with the aforementioned warnings about side protection etc... I wear Rudy Project prescription shooting glasses after taking a piece of jacket material in the face....

3. dress for the range... cold is not fun...

outland
04-01-2010, 9:21 PM
thanks all for the great replys

bambam8d1
04-01-2010, 9:33 PM
I was really lucky... first time i took my ol lady shooting she loved it. The ride home she was saying oh my god i totally see why youre always wanting to buy more magazines and stuff for your guns now... will you build me a pink AR? lol this past weekend she wanted some of those custom made earplugs cuz she was tired of my old construction job economy size box of earplugs we have been using lol. so she got some custom pink earplugs this weekend. also picked out a 1022 stock she wants. on top of that she has made a list of guns she wants now... i am now on duty finding a beretta bobcat, a pink gripped snubby revolver, a 1022 build and an OLL build. what have I created? lol but back on topic, definately bring snacks... good ear protection... baby wipes or some kind of hand wipes. thats about all i can think of.

sd_shooter
04-02-2010, 1:20 PM
I will have to try the flowers/tea/cocoa approach. My wife used to be an anti, but she's at least putting up with all my guns. I'd love to take her plinking but she adamantly refuses. Now I don't want to force her (that would probably make things worse) but I think some exposure would help ease her fears.

She's been to two trainings: a beginners hand gun class that we both took and she also went through a "Women on target" NRA class. She shot well but was freaked out both times.

Steyrlp10
04-02-2010, 2:25 PM
She's been to two trainings: a beginners hand gun class that we both took and she also went through a "Women on target" NRA class. She shot well but was freaked out both times.

Did she say what specifically freaked her out?

glock21fan
05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
My wife hated the ear protection. I picked her up some surefire ear pro and she loves them. Basically a custom fit. She wears just her normal glasses which are poly carbonate (sp?) good luck. I taught mine to shoot and now she out shoots me

oddjob
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Have her "double up" on the hearing protection (nice plugs & ear muffs) and the flinching will be reduced. Its the "bang" that makes people flinch. I would guess that if she shot a suppressed 22 lr handgun she would not flinch for long. There are gel pads for ear muffs to make them comfortable. Pro Ear has them.....I think. Have her keep shooting with the 22lr. If you could spend a day with her you could go with the 9mm.

Here is a video of Taran Butler showing two women how to shoot. The brunette has shot three times, but the blonde shooting is her first time out! It took two hours of instruction for the blond to shoot like that. I believe the blond won Americas Next Top Model. My point is it can be done. One more thing....Husbands/boyfriends are a female shooters WORST instructor. Its not just shooting either....it could be golf or anything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9C1TONL2U

Steyrlp10
05-07-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9C1TONL2U

Thanks for sharing the video. Hearing rounds on steel plates does make it more fun and less boring.

sd_shooter
05-07-2010, 1:49 PM
Did she say what specifically freaked her out?

No, but I think the "guns kill babies" idea is indelibly in her brain. That and the more black there is on a gun, the scarier it is. Stainless revolvers scare her a lot less than black pistols with rails & lights, not to even mention black rifles complete with scopes, bipods, flash suppressors etc. :43:

It doesn't help that every couple months there's a story of some numskull "cleaning his gun" (ie. playing cowboy) who has his gun "go off" (ie. he pulled the trigger) - and someone dies.

BUT, there is a ray of sunshine among all the clouds. She agreed to go shooting in the desert if I would pamper her with a spa session. Sounds like a decent deal to me!

Steyrlp10
05-07-2010, 4:35 PM
BUT, there is a ray of sunshine among all the clouds. She agreed to go shooting in the desert if I would pamper he with a spa session. Sounds like a decent deal to me!

Good job :)

All female shooters need a cabana boy to inspire them to do better, and I know she'll appreciate all your efforts to make her feel safe.

2Cute2Shoot
05-07-2010, 6:13 PM
So last weekend I was able to take my wife on her first range trip. I borrowed a friends 22lr ruger, and I made some super soft 9mm handloads. About a half hour into it she was done. I love to shoot and I'm hoping I can get her interested. She wants so go again, and she understands the importance of self defence. I'm looking for some suggestions on making her range trips more comfortable. She expressed the following issues.

2. She is supposed to wear glasses. she hates wearing them, but she couldn't see the target and the sights. So she wore her glasses and some oversized shooting glasses that went over her specs. They were kinda slipping on her nose and bothering her. I believe the double glasses were bothering her ear pro. I think it was prying up the ear muffs.

3. She was cold

4. Now this one is mine and it correlates with 1. She did allot of flinching when others were shooting. The ear pro needs to be quieter.

I remember the first time I was at the range, It was a little unnerving, I'd shot before but outdoors and not with other shooters. Maybee an outdoor range would be better. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48841&stc=1&d=1268364403

I know exactly what to do for your wife!! Because I understand EVERYTHING that she is feeling!

Don't take her to a range. I think she will enjoy outdoor shooting much more and it will help with everything else she doesn't like about shooting.

My first advice is don't make her wear eye protection. I know EVERYBODY will flame me for that :mad: and I know you should be safe, but if she doesn't wear any for the first few times, it will make it easier for her to love shooting :). Then if she wants to keep going, she can start using glasses!

I get cold in indoor ranges too! The ranges where the gunpower smell isn't too bad also I think always have a strong fan or AC blowing, so it is cold. I love shooting outdoors, especially in the summer. It's warm, and I can get a tan! Sometimes I wear my swimsuit top when I shoot so I get to tan and work on my shooting at the same time ;). Girls like sunbathing, especially up here in northern California when it's sunny and sooo nice to get outside!

I flinch when other people shoot too. Especially if they are shooting shotguns :mad:. If you can take her to BLM land somewhere you can spread out from other people, it won't be nearly so bad. Luckily for me, when we go shooting, it is usually to secret spots with just my family and friends, so I can yell at them to stop shooting when I'm shooting! But as long as she is off on her own, it isn't too bad...not as bad as an indoor range.

And regarding earmuffs, I hated most of them. They hurt my ears too! So I tried on lots of pairs until I found one that I liked - really big...so I must have a big head :).

I hope all that helps. It sounds like your wife kinda likes it and wants to try more shooting, which is good. Now it's up to you to make it the best experience she could have!!

Steyrlp10
05-07-2010, 7:56 PM
I'm not flaming about the non-eye protection advice, just reporting that at the ranges here, it's a mandatory requirement. It has nothing to do with comfort but with safety. If you want to shoot, you have to wear eye protection -- and have some sort of hearing protection in place.

If anyone has initial discomfort with the eye protection she has on, start trying on other brands before actually going to the range. Women understand shoe shopping -- they can understand eye wear too.

And while you're at it, test out all the handbags that will match your range outfit :) (I have a range bag for every event - lol)

2Cute2Shoot
05-07-2010, 11:14 PM
And while you're at it, test out all the handbags that will match your range outfit :) (I have a range bag for every event - lol)

Just when I was starting to wonder about you, you finally say something that makes sense to me. :p

And I know it was probably dangerous advice I gave Outland :(. I just want girls to enjoy shooting and when I heard about what his wife didn't like, I totally related to everything and wanted to share how I started to really enjoy it :).

Jaiofspam
05-10-2010, 11:00 AM
sensgard zem.. 31db for hearing protection... i know she doesnt like stuff in her ears but these are pretty comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-SensGard-Hearing-Protection-Device/dp/B001IMHSP4

Kelvrick
05-10-2010, 4:24 PM
When I take my GF to the range, she wears a set of surefire earpros and when indoors, doubles up with set of howard leight sports.

Customs are like 65 bucks, earpros are 12 but to be replaced every few months.

Tell her to take off the earrings. Wear contacts.

Get RX shooting glasses.

riyanjason
06-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks, Vinoth! :-) I am personally concerned that “short-term mission trips” are now more commercialized. And it’s getting “short” and “short” too! :-) *just my 2 cents* I’m reading “The Insider” now… Have you read it before?

joedogboy
06-20-2010, 1:26 PM
Some suggestions:
Get her to go to a store and try on several different models of ear protection - without the earrings (or with simple stud earrings, if she won't go without). Comfortable hearing protection is important to having an enjoyable time.

If her rx glasses aren't able to do double duty as safety glasses, then get her rx safety glasses or contacts and safety glasses. Safety goggles over glasses might also work, but many don't find goggles comfortable.

Layers of clothing are important - to include headgear and gloves.

If you must go to a range, try to go when it isn't very busy, and leave several bays open between you and the other shooters. This cuts down on the noise, as well as other distractions.

Perhaps you could go with a group that includes other women, so she feels more comfortable, and enjoys the social aspects of the event.

Drinks and snacks are also good to have as part of your shooting event.

Having a spotting scope allows shooting to be a team effort, makes the day more social, and gives immediate feedback, even if you are simply putting holes in paper. It also makes the ammo last longer.

Practice at home - either dry firing with snap caps, or even with a realistic featured airsoft gun - will make a new shooter more comfortable.

These are good tips for making any new shooter comfortable, not just ladies.

sigguy552
06-20-2010, 6:39 PM
Drop her off at Union Square with your credit card! :D

Hair tie, high collar shirt(brass), small set safety glasses, sneakers, plugs ICW amplified ears and you loading all her mags for her go a long way.

tacticalcity
06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Find her a hunky 20 something private instructor to take a class with. Sadly, most look like me. ;)

Not to be too critical, but most of the complaints sound like immaturity to me. She probably just doesn't want to be there in the first place. And all these things which she could easily adapt too only compound the issue. Its the shooting in the first place that most likely bugs her.

Earrings come out just as easily as they go in. Wore one for years back when it was considered cool. So that is a non-issue. You can get a much higher rated ear muffs, just look at the NR rating. Get that rating as high as you can go and she won't be bothered by the noise at all, then again she won't hear your instructions either. They need not exceed $100. Avoid the electronic ones. They cut out way too late, and are really jarring for new shooters. I used to wear these because I too had trouble adjusting to the noise. Over time, hearing instructions became more important so I found a proper balance. But at first, they helped.

You can get safety glasses that slip over your eye glasses. There is no reason that for the brief time she is on the range she can't wear her eyeglasses. Nobody is looking at her fashion sense there. They are just happy to see a female on the range for a change. She could be wearing boot camp birth control glasses and still be "hot". She's got a gun in her hand, that instantly makes her sexy to that crowd. They also make prescription Oakley's, just confirm they are range safety rated. I'm pretty sure they are if you get them directly from Oakley. I've found people who normally do not like glasses will wear prescription sunglasses without complaint because they are "cool". The trick is getting a pair that is safety rated for a range and similar activities.

An outdoor range, or open range in the middle of no where like the one in Oroville will have less noise and be a lot warmer this time of year. If that is not an option, bring a nice warm jacket for her. Keeping her warm, is your job my friend. Boyfriend 101. You should have an extra jacket in the car just for her. It's not her job to plan for that stuff, it is yours. Sucks doesn't it? Old school my friend. Old school.

All of these things are things she can both adapt to, and grow out of the more time she spends on the range. The question is whether or not she wants to. Some women just don't find it appealing at all. If that's her mindset, there is not really anything you are going to be able to do to change it.

Its not strictly a female thing either. My 17 year nephew hates the noise and fears the guns as well. Nothing I say or do is going to change his mindset. It is heart breaking for me because I had hoped he would continue the family tradition of serving in the military. Kid just doesn't have it in him. I've done my best not to let my disappointment show, because there are so many other things he excels at for which I can be proud of him. Plus he is family so I love him regardless.

As for 2Cutes advice about not wearing the glasses, she is usually smart as heck and more than lives up to her username but this is terrible advice. My Oakleys have scratch after scratch from hot brass hitting them. Soft eye ball jelly vs. flying hot brass equals blind and disfigured for life! I would rather your girlfriend never touch a gun again, than loose an eye. Not only should she be wearing safety glasses she should be wearing a ball cap. That brim keeps brass from sliding down her forehead and getting lodged in between the glasses and her face. Besides, women look very cute with the baseball cap and ponytail thing going on.

SupermotoChick
07-25-2010, 9:33 PM
Does she wear prescription sunglasses? If so, an outdoor range would be helpful for the eyewear issue, right?

With that big laundry list of issues, it doesn't seem like she is that interested in shooting. I hope you figure a way to make her more comfortable and have some fun with her though! :)

glbtrottr
07-26-2010, 8:05 AM
1.Dude, take her to a place where they can custom fit earplugs. She gets to pick snazzy colors, which she will dig.

2. Oakleys, or something else that's snazzy, will do it for her. Who cares what glasses she wears? Only she does :)

3. Sweatshirts. They do wonders.

4. Flinching is caused by noise and concussion. Better plugs will help with one; little will help with the other.

I'm with others - try to take her to an outdoor range, and before you go, pick her targets with her so she can shoot at fun things; squirrels, bad guys, turkeys, anything she'll find more fun for an experience.

WildWildWest
07-26-2010, 8:42 AM
I usually use ear plugs then wear ear muffs on the outside. This way I will not go deaf by the age of 50yrs old ...j/k lol

Seriously I only either wear electronic ear muff or ear plugs + ear muff whenever going to indoor ranges since those are closed ranges...
For outdoor ranges, I'll just wear ear plugs...