PDA

View Full Version : Nor Cal pig hunting?

tango 5
02-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Is there anywhere in the nor cal area to hunt pig legaly? What are some locations? Ive never hunted pig before, been deer hunting, duck, phesant, but no really big game.

C.G.
02-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Fort Hunter Ligget and Paso Robles region.

glen avon
02-03-2006, 8:25 AM
hunter liggett is about the only option for public land with any chance for success. the overwhelming majority of wild pigs are taken on private land. private land almost always requires hiring a guide.

Choptop
02-06-2006, 6:54 PM
or just knowing a land owner... no need to hire a guide if the land owner says you can hunt, and he/she can give you a little local knowledge on the pigs habits.

m98
02-06-2006, 8:33 PM
it's very likely it'll cost you some $$$ for pig hunting since very to little land is open to the public with pigs living on it. I've been scoutin' for public land with pigs on it with no success other than the military bases and privately owned lands (a few of the owners wants a boat load of $$$ and a few don't want any kind of hunting/fishing on their lands:mad: --basically the libby's )

gotgunz
02-13-2006, 10:20 PM
I know an area... lots of pigs and totally open.... all BLM land.

pm me for details and directions.. less than 3 hours from Antioch and camping overnight is no problem.

sohijiro
02-14-2006, 6:49 PM
i just went pig hunting last weekend,. spent 6 hours tracking this one pig, but was unsuccessful. it was a area near patterson ca, forgot what its called, its not blm land but it is open to hunting. good spot in my opinion, but hard terrain, lots of climbing. im interested in some other places to try out too.

Pablo
02-15-2006, 3:45 AM
I know an area... lots of pigs and totally open.... all BLM land.

pm me for details and directions.. less than 3 hours from Antioch and camping overnight is no problem.

I have a 12 pack of beers with your name if you share the info with me!!!:D

gunshack
02-15-2006, 8:02 AM
I have a 12 pack of beers with your name if you share the info with me!!!:D

The information is Cow Mountain, and unless you have a pack of dogs that you are willing to send into the thick brush, and pay the vet bills that result, forgetaboutit!

I've been hunting all sorts of game there for years. Plenty of pigs, but they mover around through out the year. The closest I've come to one is 20 feet, yes I said twenty feet, but I never saw it due to the brush!

FHL or private land are really the only options.

Pablo
02-15-2006, 7:18 PM
The information is Cow Mountain, and unless you have a pack of dogs that you are willing to send into the thick brush, and pay the vet bills that result, forgetaboutit!

I've been hunting all sorts of game there for years. Plenty of pigs, but they mover around through out the year. The closest I've come to one is 20 feet, yes I said twenty feet, but I never saw it due to the brush!

Thanks for the info "gunshack". I don't consider myself cheap but I really don't want to pay $400+ that most guides want to charge for hunting on private land...

C.G.
02-15-2006, 7:48 PM
Thanks for the info "gunshack". I don't consider myself cheap but I really don't want to pay $400+ that most guides want to charge for hunting on private land...

Some of that money goes to the landowner.

gotgunz
02-15-2006, 9:35 PM

Uhhh?
Wrong! Not Cow Mountain (which is located outside of Ukiah) Sorry.

Rob454
02-18-2006, 4:43 PM
Hi
Ive gone pig hunting on blm land and its pretty tough to find. Most places here charge anywhere from 450-800$. Sorry but Im not willing to spend that much $$ to have someone lead me to a feeding/ water trough so i can jsut point and shoot.
Im in So cal and to go hunting you gotta drive a ways. ive driven as far as Shasta to go hunting.
Rob

cocorador
02-19-2006, 2:45 PM
I've gone to Ventana Wilderness area just south of Gilroy. It's been quite a few years sence I'v gone but saw quite a bit of pigs and turkeys. I don't remember how to get there but it's off of J12 or J15. You can get a BLM map from the area.

Sohijiro- Is the area your talking about off Mines Road and the Junction between Livermore and Patterson? I use to hunt there but the people sold the land I used to hunt on. There were a lot of pigs. If you go to the Junction bar at the corner of Junction and Mine on top of the hill near the observatory, across from the fire department, there are lots of pictures from pig hunts. Some pigs are around 300 to 400 pounds taken by bay area folks. Where were you talking about.

I also would like to find a free area to pig hunt.

carsonsig
02-21-2006, 4:58 PM
PM'd you blackedout.

gotgunz
02-21-2006, 7:37 PM
PM'd you back Carson.....

sohijiro
02-22-2006, 7:14 PM
pmed you cocorador

cocorador
02-22-2006, 9:59 PM
Thanks blackedoutharley and sohilro for the information. I will have to sheck both places out when I get a chance and tell you all about it.

RW Dunn
02-23-2006, 4:48 PM
. I'm a life long monterey county native and been hunting hogs for over 20yrs and ran a traping operation for local farmers useing depredation permits all over the salinas valley,southern santa clara and san benito countys and have killed and hunted pigs every way imaginable from Dogs to bows,day and night,horseback and foot.Legally and illegally (younger stupid days)and have hunted ventana wildreness in the los padres national forest.Tough steep land alot of brush with fewer chances to bag one.This area is not for the out of shape hunter, very hardcore hunting,no road hunting ops, but holds pigs just gotta really work for them.I've hunted alot of BLM land areas and have taken alot hogs with dogs on them.Some of the best areas are out of the way and long hikes :eek: from the start which weeds out alot of non hikers and the competition:D laguna mtn is a good bet to start,small parking lot for camping theres 2 access spots for this area which are from the start "up hill",from the main parking lot, once on the upper first ridge line you can follow the trail to the left, it'll will take to a small creek bed that snakes up into the area. Once 3 miles back in there it opens up alittle,make sure you stay on the right side of the property line(not that i care what you do)theres a old man who has property that adjoins the mtn to the south and at the time we were hunting it.He was having a land dispute with the BLM and the local hunters and was a major pain to everybody that he came across.His name i think was Mr redfern or something like that, his property is fenced with lodge pole pines can't miss his place on the way up and this was over 15yrs ago he might be dead by now.Second access was 3-4 miles south of the main. redferns was in the middle of both access points,access was marked with a small BLM sign on a pine tree got to look for it.this access is a hard hike to the top, but opens up to some awesome hunting, fair amount of pig hunting.Ok i'm not going to give the directions to these spots,due to the fact that if your not willing to do your homework and obtain BLM map packs at the BLM office in hollister.Then your to lazy to hunt this type of land and will keep some of the lazy hunters away and not have a bunch yahoos road hunting the general area.(call me a D*#k)Of course you all heard of clear creek area,not so good hunting area.But areas above new idria held some good pig populations, but most of the access roads are now gone ,washed away and never repaired, but some of the start of the roads are still there, got to look for them and also try above new idrias water pond.Ok in monterey county on carmel valley road theres a nice area known as piney creek in the los padres national forest(best bet is to purchase map of the forest at the regional office in king city).Best way to reach this area is taking arroy seco rd off of 101 at soledad follow arroy seco rd back into the hills till you hit carmel vally road and travel about 5 miles it'll be on the left and once again look for the access road which is dirt and you will be going over a creek to reach the gate.For some reason locals at all these areas like to tear down signs to prevent outsiders from hunting these areas.I'm sitting here remembering areas as i go, so bare with me.Another area is on highway 1 past big sir area, this area is NF(national forest) ok as you go up the highway heading south towards san simeon on the left your going to reach nacimento/fergson rd which is the start of NF land and will lead you to the back gate of Ft hunterliggett which will be open.But before you reach that point and at the top of the road, you come to a intersection to the right,which will be plaskit or plasket rd and runs for miles and and miles of NF roads, hunt away, 4X4 recommended.To the left is another road dont remember the name but runs about 5-6 miles comes to a radio tower and deads end there after.Staying on nacimento/fergson rd will run another 8 miles not sure but you can hunt both sides of the road till the Army back gate.You'll notice land gets better 1 mile before the army gate and make sure your still hunting NF land and not Army, big trouble if you have no permit to be hunting on Army land.Theres two NF camping grounds on nacimento/fergson ponderosa and the other dont remember the name of it.On plasket ridge during the summer beaware of marijuana growers in the area.These are not the hippie growers of the 70s,but hardcore mexican drug cartels and if you don't believe me, just ask any ranger or game warden you come across.When in the forest i always pack,better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.With the amount of freaks that frequent these areas its good to be safe.Years ago me and a hunting buddy staked out a camping area and along came a van load of santa cruz hippies with their kids 5 adults, 3 children.The parents were taking Lsd and tripping out on the camo freaks with weapons of mass destruction (us)Well after the novelty of us wore off the adults retired to the van for alittle partying all night and left their kids with us.Do you see a problem here,good because what kind of freaks leave their kids in the middle of know where with armed men in camo? and i' ve had other experiences in the forest as well.Back to hunting you can try liggett and camp roberts down 101 and if i remember other spots i'll post them here and soon as i post this i'll remember aleast another one.

theseacow
02-23-2006, 6:56 PM
excellent post rw dunn. There is alot of truth in there. I have done alot of what is in here and this has been my experience as far as ok places to go.

subroutine
02-23-2006, 10:28 PM
pigs aren't KOSHER!!!!:eek:

SUB

gunshack
02-24-2006, 7:33 AM
I won't tell Moses or Mohamed, and Jesus doesn't seem to care anymore.:D

Pablo
02-24-2006, 3:42 PM
Thanks for the info Dunn!!!

RW Dunn
02-24-2006, 7:25 PM
No problem Pablo

big jon
03-12-2006, 12:58 PM
I use to book hunts for Camp 5, Scobie ranch, Esterbrook ranch and a few more i dont rember any more. Look at the BLM maps for the area around prakfield and colinga. I have had good luck at the clear creek area in parkfield but you have to make sure that you stay within the BLM areas the nighbors dont take lt verry well if you jump a fence, you are however able to if you are trackig a wounded hog i always leave my long gun behind and continue with my sidearm only. In colinga i had only seen good sighn over the years and only a few pig to far or to fast to shoot at. If your able to consider paying for a hunt make sure you ask a few questions, like whats the sucess rate what size of pigs are there, if your able to get a hog on the first day will you be able to hunt with the others or hunt varmits or anything else that might be in season like birds. some of these ranches want you to leave right after you take a hog. Get all the questions ancered befor you book a hunt you dont want anything to take away from the hunt, depending on the ranch youll see more hog in the first hour than a month of BLM hunts dont get me wrong i love a fair chase hunt you can get on BLM its just that the ranches have more hogs, its just something you have to do in your life time at least once. Rember 270 or better always shoot it just behind the frount shoulder, and with hand guns allways aim for the frount shoulder try to break it ive taken more hods with a 38 spc than any thing else.GOOD HUNTING...

Czechsix
03-12-2006, 9:33 PM
I'd like to head out later this year to check out some of the hog hunting - from southern california it's a bit of a drive, but I'm still up for it.

Anyone know how far south decent hog areas extend?

This is a great thread....

mrkubota
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Here's a local SoCal ranch that offers guided hunts:

http://www.bighorncanyonranch.com/

A hunt review from a happy AZ customer:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=13&t=222765

Pablo
03-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Here's a local SoCal ranch that offers guided hunts:

http://www.bighorncanyonranch.com/

A hunt review from a happy AZ customer:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=13&t=222765

$350 is probably the cheapest guide hunt I have seen here in CA... I'm still going to try hunt in public land before spending my money on a guided hunt...