PDA

View Full Version : What's considered the "BEST" sks?

mkthreetilinfinity
03-11-2010, 12:12 AM
What's considered the "BEST" sks? russian, chinese, albanian, korean, german, vietnamese, yugo?

Palimino Stripe
03-11-2010, 12:40 AM
"Best" is such a subjective word. Best in terms of rarity? Quality? Accuracy?

If I take the word "best" loosely- I would personally rank them in the following order:

Russian
German (good luck finding one though)
Albanian
Romanian
Chinese
Yugoslavia
Korea
Vietnamese (good luck finding one though)

It should be noted- the Yugoslavians are very well made. However- Yugoslavia didn't quite have adequate sources of chromium to line the bores. So It's almost a tie between Chinese & Yugo's.

-Palimino

SVT-40
03-11-2010, 8:17 AM
What's considered the "BEST" sks? russian, chinese, albanian, korean, german, vietnamese, yugo?

The "best" SKS is the one you can afford.

It's more about condition than who made it.

Lucky Scott
03-11-2010, 4:27 PM
They are all good, but I would get a russian SKS because you dont have to DROS it and can buy it cash and carry.
I love my Yugo SKS but think one without the gas valve would be better.
Mine work great and are a blast to shoot. I am not worried about the lack of a chrome lined barrel because I clean it every time I shoot it.

mkthreetilinfinity
03-11-2010, 4:53 PM
the reason why im asking is because i got a russian sks a few days ago and i know nothing about it.

Lucky Scott
03-11-2010, 5:35 PM
The russian is a good one. Keep it!

The best advice I can give you is to not change anything on the gun, dont change the stock, or try to use magazines in it. it is perfect the way it is and you will only make it worse.

Shoot it and clean it, the Russian SKS is a great gun.

Vladimir
03-11-2010, 8:12 PM
I'd say in terms of ranking and "best" - russian sks

Cato
03-11-2010, 8:37 PM
My SKS I got at Turners has the disappointing muzzle break. It won't come off and I can't hit the side of a barn with the thing!

Alexjr1967
03-11-2010, 11:12 PM
I say the best SKS is one that you can get your hands on ...

0321jarhead
03-12-2010, 7:21 AM
Good going, you got yourself a Russin sks. Now you need to get some books. Learn of the markings, ect. But be VERY carefull with the SKS. They can become very much an addiction. So far I have the Yugo 59/66 & Yugo M9, Albanian, Romanian and Russian. Trying to find an East German which is NOT EASY. Its all good.

OneApart
03-12-2010, 7:23 AM
Simple answer IMHO: Russian (everyone else was the Russian's attempt to spread the weapon, along with their ideals across the COMBLOC... sort of a SKS road tour throughout Eastern Europe,Middle East, Asia, etc.).

The Tula factory where the SKS were originally produced is still producing AK's, and Ammo (TCW aka WOLF).

http://euroheritage.net/flagofsoviets.png

PatriotnMore
03-12-2010, 7:25 AM
Tula

mls343
03-12-2010, 8:04 AM
I have 3 - a Russian (50's), Norinco Chicom (90's), and a Chicom Vietnam capture. The one I use the most is the Russian.

0321jarhead
03-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I have 3 - a Russian (50's), Norinco Chicom (90's), and a Chicom Vietnam capture. The one I use the most is the Russian.

That's pretty cool about the Vietnam capture. Do you have the "Bring back papers?":cool:

caoboy
03-12-2010, 11:28 AM
What is the maker of the SKS that comes with the cherry red stock? Russian?

icormba
03-12-2010, 11:46 AM
What is the maker of the SKS that comes with the cherry red stock? Russian?

Russian...
http://www.m1garand.net/M1Pics/Chris/SKS/sks_stock.jpg

although sometimes it depends on if it's a refurb or not. Some refurbs have it, some don't, an example...
bottom one here is a refurb, top is not... both have artic birch wood.
http://m1garand.net/M1Pics/Chris/SKS/2SKS.jpg

caoboy
03-12-2010, 11:47 AM
That's the one I'll be looking for then, thanks.

That was the first rifle I shot...I remember it was red, and fricken beautiful.

icormba
03-12-2010, 12:27 PM
That's the one I'll be looking for then, thanks.

That was the first rifle I shot...I remember it was red, and fricken beautiful.

The first rifle I ever shot was a East German SKS years ago... hooked on the SKS ever since! I would prefer the East German for that reason, but finding one for myself is/was the problem.

Second was a SVD, with that same red'ish color!, though out of my price range back then. ;)

mls343
03-12-2010, 1:46 PM
That's pretty cool about the Vietnam capture. Do you have the "Bring back papers?"

Yes, yes I do. And, I have about 200 rounds in their original stripper clips.

I didn't bring it back, but my Father did for me.

My first official gun of my own. The weapon came is a green plastic cover and was soaked in cosmoline. The capture docs were attached to the outer cover with masking tape. As a kid os 12, man, it took me so long to clean it up. The barrel was so full of the stuff, that a cleaning rods would not go down it unless pushed.

My Father found it in a cache site in Cambodia on the 3rd level, with most of the first few layers under water. This one came right off the top.

See attached pic.

0321jarhead
03-12-2010, 2:43 PM
That is so cool. Hang on to it and the papers, they are priceless. Knowing that your father gave it to you. That is more than just special. SEMPER FI

mls343
03-12-2010, 3:55 PM
Thanks, 0321jarhead, you know I will!

mls343
03-12-2010, 7:33 PM
BTW - My Grandfather was active in the Marines from 1922 until 1954. Salty.

Semper Fi

0321jarhead
03-14-2010, 9:03 AM
As far as I know I was the first and only. And this old fart would do it again in a heart beat if I could turn the clock back. If I was to try to explain to someone what it is like to be a Marine, they would'nt understand. One has to experience it them self.