PDA

View Full Version : CMP Elligibility Question

NDFMF
03-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Okay, so I definitely messed up. I thought that the NRA was an affiliated organization for the CMP, but I was reading through the FAQs on the CMP sales page today and I found out that they were not.

If I am a member of the NRA may I purchase firearms and ammunition from your facilities?
Membership in the NRA, at the national level, does not satisfy our requirements that customers be members of a CMP affiliated club or organization. The NRA at the national level is not an affiliate. Most of the NRA state associations have affiliated with the CMP and do satisfy the requiremen

It does mention that most state level NRA associations are, but does that include the CRPA? I didn't see CRPA on the list of affiliated clubs: http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi?all=YES&clubMembership=OPEN;state=CA

So the problem is, I already sent in my paperwork to try and buy an M1 Garand, and I included my NRA membership info. Anybody ever make this bonehead move before? If so, how did you fix it?

CEDaytonaRydr
03-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Okay, so I definitely messed up. I thought that the NRA was an affiliated organization for the CMP, but I was reading through the FAQs on the CMP sales page today and I found out that they were not.

It does mention that most state level NRA associations are, but does that include the CRPA? I didn't see CRPA on the list of affiliated clubs: http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi?all=YES&clubMembership=OPEN;state=CA

So the problem is, I already sent in my paperwork to try and buy an M1 Garand, and I included my NRA membership info. Anybody ever make this bonehead move before? If so, how did you fix it?

It shouldn't be that big of a deal. You just join the CRPA for $20/year and call the CMP. I'm sure they'll be able to help you out if you explain your situation. They're very personable...

mls343
03-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I just joined the Garand Collectors Club - GCA. The best $25 dollars spent, for the magazine alone, in my opinion. The GCA will even electronically notify the CMP once you register with them.

http://www.thegca.org/

BTW, the CMP are very easy to work with. They will call you and work something out if the paperwork is wrong.

froman118
03-10-2010, 1:15 PM
The CRPA meets the requirement, I used it last year to order my first Garand and Carbine.

Since you already ordered, I'd maybe lean towards joining the GCA. If you could provide proof that you joined they'd probably be okay. Never been to the stores, but I think you can join the GCA on the spot and take your rifle home.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-10-2010, 2:12 PM
Don't forget, your C&R FFL meets their requirements. One more reason to break down and spend the $30 every 3 years...

littlejake
03-10-2010, 2:13 PM
The CRPA meets the requirement, I used it last year to order my first Garand and Carbine.

Interesting, I used my Life CRPA card and my American Legion card as proof of club membership when I ordered my Garand a couple of years ago. I just signed into my CMP account and got a message that my club membership was expired and I could update it by sending a scan of an updated membership to the CMP.

Is it possible the CRPA has fallen off the list?

littlejake
03-10-2010, 2:16 PM
Don't forget, your C&R FFL meets their requirements. One more reason to break down and spend the $30 every 3 years...

That's good for showing firearm related activity. A separate requirement from the club membership.

At age 62, I no longer have to show firearm related activity -- but still have to keep up a club membership for the CMP.

NDFMF
03-11-2010, 8:04 AM
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I sent an email to CMP customer service yesterday, and they sent me a reply this morning. The CRPA is an affiliated group, even though it's not listed on their page. So, all I have to do is send in a copy of my CRPA card when I get it (new member here) and they'll match it up with my order. Disaster averted!

crackerman
03-11-2010, 8:22 AM
If you like those new fangled plastic guns (like I do :) ) in addition to classics Glock's GSSF counts also

powaybob
03-11-2010, 9:00 AM
I lost my CRPA card and they accepted a scan of a recent newsletter that included the mailing label that includes expiration date. Good reasonable folks at CMP.

I ordered my Service Grade about 2 weeks ago. I received an email in a week that my order was in the queue. Tuesday I received a call and the nice lady said they were sold out of slings and the cleaning rod I ordered was sold out- I had to spring for another $3 to get one that was available. I just wanted a cleaning rod to actually clean the rifle and was not concerned about maintaining it as a collectible. She said that the rifle should ship in 7-10 days.

CSDGuy
03-11-2010, 9:13 AM
Interesting, I used my Life CRPA card and my American Legion card as proof of club membership when I ordered my Garand a couple of years ago. I just signed into my CMP account and got a message that my club membership was expired and I could update it by sending a scan of an updated membership to the CMP.

Is it possible the CRPA has fallen off the list?
No, the CRPA is still on the list. Just scan & email your CRPA card. Also, keep in mind that they need to update their membership info every 3 years anyway. Otherwise, just send them an email first to see what they need from you. Their customer service is absolutely excellent, bar none!

littlejake
03-11-2010, 9:52 AM
No, the CRPA is still on the list. Just scan & email your CRPA card. Also, keep in mind that they need to update their membership info every 3 years anyway. Otherwise, just send them an email first to see what they need from you. Their customer service is absolutely excellent, bar none!

I emailed a copy of my American Legion card near 5 PM EST yesterday -- got a reply this morning that they have updated my records and I am good to go. That is excellent customer service.

powaybob
03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I just received the email that my CMP Garand arrives tomorrow via Fed Ex. That is less than three weeks and I snail mailed in my purchase request. Is that amazing service or what!

mls343
03-11-2010, 1:20 PM
CMP Customer Service is first rate. And, just wait until you receive your rifle!

Enjoy!