PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher refinish

PEZHEAD265
03-10-2010, 10:15 AM
When you put the stock in the dishwasher do you use the heat dry cycle??How deep of a dent does it steam out?Want to try doing a birch M1 carbine stock for a custom rebuild any suggestions?

Omega13device
03-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Unless it's a non-original junk stock to begin with, I'd avoid the dishwasher altogether. I wouldn't subject a historic piece of wood to that kind of treatment. Instead you can use an iron and damp rags to steam the dents out. If you want to remove the finish use Minwax Antique Furniture Refinisher.

This is a great guide from the CMP on refinishing old stocks: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/wood_cleaning_article.htm

rjf
03-10-2010, 2:17 PM
For that stock use dishwasher soap and no heat dry. It should come out as clean wood with no finish. Most compression dents will come out. Gouges will not. Hidden cracks may become visible. Let the wood air dry then use an oil finish. Inspection stamps may be lifted and hidden inspection stamps have appeared. YMMV.

I have no experience with hand guards, but have heard they usually come out ok.

I would not hesitate to dishwash an M2 birch replacement stock.

blackbok
03-10-2010, 5:02 PM
dishwasher refinish rules!Done 3 times no issues.

kurac
03-10-2010, 6:09 PM
The dishwasher method worked great for me. I did put some sealer on the end grain to avoid swelling of the wood, no detergent but I did use the heat dry cycle to steam out the dents. I have before and after pictures but too lazy and busy right now to go digging for them.

I tried it on birch and walnut, it turned firewood into nice usable stocks.

RandyD
03-11-2010, 2:14 AM
I have taken out gouges using wet rags and a soldering iron. It works well and fast. I don't see the need to put the entire stock in a dishwasher.

bruss01
03-11-2010, 7:34 AM
I have used this method. I first strip any cosmoline and oil finish using easy-off oven cleaner and a green scrubbing pad. This assumes I am going to re-finish the stock.

I use a small amount of detergent (as a wetting agent really). I do use the sanitize setting for steam but I do not heat dry. Remove stock immediately upon completion of the cycle... towel dry and let stand in a cool place for a few days to let any moisture in the wood come out naturally. You don't want to let the stock cool down with moisture on it... that would cause water to be sucked into the air cells in the wood, which you want to avoid.

I think that using heat dry, or drying the stock too rapidly afterwards can increase the likelihood of warping the stock.