PDA

View Full Version : Reparking an m1 carbine?

SanPedroShooter
03-10-2010, 5:34 AM
I have an saginaw s'g' carbine that has some wear on the reciever rails (it's down to the white). Is reparkerizing a good idea? I dont want to screw with the historical value etc..

Milsurp Collector
03-10-2010, 8:51 AM
Personally, I wouldn't refinish a whole barreled receiver just because the finish is worn in a normal wear area. If you refinish it and actually shoot it on a regular basis it will just start wearing in the same area, so what is gained? Part of what give an original unrestored firearm its character and look of authenticity is finish wear in areas where it is normally worn through use. Finish that has no wear and looks like it was applied recently probably was.

As long as you keep Eezox or similar oil on the area it won't corrode. Mosin Nagant, Gewehr 98, and Arisaka Type 38 bolts are normally in the white yet they don't corrode faster than the rest of the rifle.

CEDaytonaRydr
03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Don't bother re-finishing it. You will hurt the "collectors value" and it is not necessary. Just keep it cleaned and well oiled so the worn surfaces won't rust...

If you plan on using the rifle as a working gun (ranch rifle, tactical rifle, etc.) then go for it but even then, I might suggest "dura coat" instead of parkerizing. However, in your case, I wouldn't do that with a Saginaw. Get an old, mismatched, rack grade Inland and do that. Don't mess up an original saginaw...

SanPedroShooter
03-10-2010, 5:34 PM
thats what i thought. thanks for the info

a1c
03-10-2010, 5:46 PM
DO. NOT. DO. THAT.

If you're not happy with your Saginaw, I'll buy it from you just so that it doesn't get hurt. That poor thing.

SanPedroShooter
03-11-2010, 4:47 PM
spare me the theatrics. thats why i asked first, jeez...