PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, inheriting firearms, need good learning resources

skitch
03-10-2010, 12:56 AM
I am a total newbie* when it comes to firearms. My sibs and I have inherited our Dad's gun collection (handguns, rifles, air rifles). Before I decide to take possession of one or more of the firearms, I'd like to learn the information and skills to safely store, transport, shoot and maintain the firearm(s).

I live in the San Gabriel Valley; I found this site while searching for the Santa Anita Firing Range (which I just learned is, alas, no more). The guns are located 50 miles away in Orange County.

What would you recommend a brand new beginner to do?

Thanks,

skitch

*Well, okay. When I was young, Dad and uncles took me to the Arizona desert to go shooting. I didn't like it much. It was a long, long time ago. Want to give it another try. Consider me an absolute beginner.

NaughtyMonkey
03-10-2010, 1:10 AM
There is tons and tons to learn, best thing to do is use the search on here for your questions and if you don't find the answer, just post, just make sure its in the appropriate section.

P.S. Welcome to the forums.

corrupt
03-10-2010, 1:41 AM
The California Department of Justice (CA DOJ) requires you to submit a form notifying them of the transfer.

Read the Handgun Safety Certification study guide. It will tell you a lot of the basics, including laws that you should be aware of.

Contact a local gun range and ask them if there are classes geared towards the beginner.

skitch
03-10-2010, 2:19 AM
@Naughty Monkey, thanks for the welcome. A search for 'beginner' did bring up lots in many forums. Probably the most helpful, given where I am, were mentions of places to take classes.
(one possibility: Civilian Arms Training Level 1 Defensive Handgun (http://www.civilianarmstraining.com/?page_id=4) location: Chino.)

@corrupt, thanks for those two mentions. Am loading the PDF of the Handgun safety certification guide (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf) into a browser tab, and just looking over the table of contents, this is perfect for me.

Good, too, to know about the transfer requirements.

skitch

RedFord150
03-10-2010, 8:33 AM
Some good local dealers in or near the SGV;
Gunrunners Tactical in Duarte.
Gunslingers in Glendora.
Buckhorn Guns in Glendora.
Entreprise Arms in Irwindale has limited hours and products.
Bain and Davis in San Gabriel.

A great range and dealer in North Orange County is OC Indoor Shooting Range in Brea. They are on Berry, North of Lambert. They have classes for beginners and can advise you on storage and other needs.

A lot of these places have websites.

Good luck.

Mad Scotsman
03-10-2010, 9:32 AM
[QUOTE=corrupt;3934558]The California Department of Justice (CA DOJ) requires you to submit a form notifying them of the transfer.

How long has this been a requirement?
Long guns also??

skitch
03-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Found this while reading that PDF from the California attorney general's website (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf).

The infrequent transfer of firearms between immediate family members is exempt from the law requiring private party transfers to be conducted through a licensed firearms dealer. For purposes of this exemption, “immediate family” means parent and child, and grandparent and grandchild but does not include brothers or sisters. Please note if the firearm being transferred is a handgun, prior to taking possession of the firearm, the transferee must comply with the Handgun Safety Certificate requirement described below. Within 30 days of the transfer he/she must also submit a report of the transaction to DOJ. You may obtain the required report form (FD 4542) by contacting the DOJ Firearms Division at (916) 227-3703 or you can download the form yourself from the Firearms Division web site at http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms. (from page 33 of the pdf linked above, emphasis mine)

The bit about sibs is a bit puzzling. I'd better get my education and make my decision in such a way that if I decide not to take Dad's gun(s), I leave em at the location in the homestead so my sibs can take them and we avoid the no sibs part. Weird.

skitch

Chk Chk Boom
03-10-2010, 11:44 AM
The bit about sibs is a bit puzzling. I'd better get my education and make my decision in such a way that if I decide not to take Dad's gun(s), I leave em at the location in the homestead so my sibs can take them and we avoid the no sibs part. Weird.

skitch

Long guns aren't really registered by SN or anything. You don't need to worry about any non-"Assault Type Rifles" (Eg. Un BB'd AR-15's, AK's, etc.). You can take possession and not look back.

Handguns are a different story. The DOJ probably has something you need to fill out for this.

Come out to the Lytle Creek shoot on the 20th! It'll be a little far for, but there will be a ton of calgunners, lots of food, beginners classes (reasonable prices!), and it'll be a blast. I think it would be worth it.

Remember that when transporting handguns they must be unloaded and kept in a locked container while in your car. Long guns aren't as picky. Just keep guns and ammo away from each other and you'll be fine.

You'll find a lot of great information on here, and a lot of amazingly knowledgeable and kind people on here.

Welcome to Calguns, my friend.
Jeff

skitch
03-10-2010, 11:49 AM
@RedFord150, thanks for mentioning those dealers/ranges. I came across one of them (http://www.gunrunnerstactical.com/) in my reading of the forum; good to know the others.

Also discovered there's a place called AllSafe in Orange County just off the 55 (http://www.allsafedefense.com/) According to this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=269295), They do stuff also at Burro Canyon, which is in Azusa, not far away.

Since the guns are in OC, and due to the freakish wrinkle about intra-family transfer that works just fine between parent to child, but not between sibs, I'll probably do my initial training+shooting in OC near the guns so I can return them to where they were until I decide that I do, in fact, want to take them. If I take them and then decide not to, it gets weird if I want to transfer them to one of my sibs.

I'll also note this discussion thread here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=196884), about classes in LA/OC areas. (I'm turning this thread into a note-to-self compendium of my links and research. Plus, these here internets are so helpful to lurkers and others who come along later. I know I won't be the only one to benefit.)

skitch
03-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Remember that when transporting handguns they must be unloaded and kept in a locked container while in your car. Long guns aren't as picky. Just keep guns and ammo away from each other and you'll be fine.

Awesome, thank you, Jeff. I received a PM advising me and my sibs to have gun safes, but one of the questions I had was how exactly I transport the thing(s) from hither to yon when driving is involved (I'm thinking handgun, here). The trunk is considered a locked container? It is "not concealed" according to my new best friend (document), the attorney general's PDF:

A firearm locked in a motor vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container carried in the vehicle other than in the utility or glove compartment is not considered concealed within the meaning of the Penal Code Section 12025; neither is a firearm carried within a locked container directly to or from a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose (PC section 12026.1). [ye olde pdf, page 36]

Thanks for the invite to the 20th event. Can't make it. I have something else scheduled.

skitch

Chk Chk Boom
03-10-2010, 3:28 PM
Yes, the trunk of a car would constitute a locked container (A lockable glovebox is not). I'm not sure of the exact laws, but if I put handguns in the trunk I'd probably keep the ammo in the car with me just in case. I don't quite remember the law whether you can keep ammo in the locked container or not (Someone else will surely chime in for this).

If you take posession of the guns I highly HIGHLY recommend getting a safe (Plus if you don't have one already, it would be a great place to store important documents, heirlooms, etc.).

Ah it's not a big deal. They do lots of shoots all around socal including Angeles, Burro, and Lytle Creek throughout the year.

Good luck,
Jeff

mrlonewolf
03-10-2010, 4:37 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

AndrewMendez
03-10-2010, 6:43 PM
skitch, first and for most, we are terribly sorry for your lose. 1 thing I highly highly suggest is that you take your time, if you decide to sell any of the firearms, so that you can get fair market value for them. I have seen similar situations, where people lost thousands of dollars by selling them for far less then they where worth. We are having a shooting event here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3938212#post3938212) on the 20th, it might be a good time to come down and rekindle the flame. Your more then welcome to shoot a couple rounds thru anything I bring with me, and I am more then positive, that 95% of the people who will be up there with us, will be just as generous with theirs. I live on the East side of the San Gabriel Valley, if you would like to meet up and go over any questions you may have. Shoot me a PM.

Librarian
03-10-2010, 7:58 PM
[QUOTE=corrupt;3934558]The California Department of Justice (CA DOJ) requires you to submit a form notifying them of the transfer.

How long has this been a requirement?
Long guns also??

1991-ish - and long guns are excluded from reporting if intrafamily or inheritance.

See the Calguns Foundation Wiki FAQ, link below.

skitch
03-11-2010, 12:05 AM
@mrlonewolf, thanks for the welcome

@andrewmendez, thanks for the condolences. We will take our time, and I doubt that selling them is an option. I'm one of 5, so with that big a family, there'll always be takers.

In fact, I definitely think I'm going to take my time w/ this. Even with the education, learning to shoot, and transfer of the guns. There are a couple other of Dad's possessions that need to be offloaded before I/we approach the cabinet containing the firearms. This handgun stuff may require a DOJ form, but for other stuff, the DMV is always hungry.

Am very glad to find this resource. People here are very helpful. I've already learned tons (when you know nothing, learning something --anything-- is a vast improvement!), and will definitely check back on these boards and take advantage of invites to PM to talk further when I'm ready to dive in. After I do a full day safety class, I'll definitely click around to find out what the next big shoot activity is.

You all are helpful. You rock. In gratitude, I posted a wonderful, astonishing vid. It's over in this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=278732).

skitch

skitch
03-11-2010, 12:10 AM
P.S.
@Librarian, I just checked the WIKI linked in your sigline.

This.

Exactly what I was looking for. Über basic.

AndrewMendez
03-11-2010, 9:11 AM
Glad to hear your taking your time, best of luck to you.

rod
03-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Welcome to Calguns