PDA

View Full Version : Sturdy Safe

tjschia
02-02-2006, 2:23 AM
I have been researching safes for a while now and wondering if any one has heard of (or owns a) Sturdy Safe? If so what do they think about them? It seems like they spend some extra time / money on making a higher grade safe and just curious if someone else thought the same thing. Any insight on Sturdy Safes would be appreciated.

socalsteve
02-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Sturdy safes out of Fresno?

I have a good friend who owns 2 of them. One firelined and one not.

I have researched them quite a bit and think for the money they are one of the best made. You can phone them during the day and talk with the owner. He's pretty good, I asked lots of questions and felt he was very honest.

His website lists (when it is working right) lots of tips to look for when comparing safes.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/sturdy.htm

I actually visited some safe manufacturers around LA and they were not as good as sturdy safes. My only problem is no in home delivery.

Fatcat
02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
+1 with socalsteve. I posted another response on this forum. If you do visit them, they have cut aways of "typical locking" mechanisms of other makers. They point out their strong/weak points which leads to why they design their safes their own way (i.e. does it make sense to have 20 - 30 locking bolts when only 4 or 6 will do the same job?). Where and what does your money go to? A nice fancy paint job with velor interior or a well designed and built safe body. If you can visit the factory, it's a really good education. The whole philosphy of the design is to think like a thief - How can I get in? I recommend them especially if you're going to invest in a big safe.

Most safe dealers around So.Cal are just that. They sell the items but don't really know about safe security design or manufactoring. One company I did not like is those people called "Sportsman Safe" in Long Beach (?). Their build quality was OK (maybe medicore), but it's their fricken attitude. People don't want to get B.S.'d and "sold" on something. They want to get educated and make their own decisions. You do your own research and make your decisions.

TRP PRO 1911
02-05-2006, 5:38 AM
I will only trust a sturdy safe. after steve (owner) showed me how to defeat the safes of the competition by showing me how they could easily be broken into, I bought one.

He sells safes to the US Govt and the CA DOJ uses their safes for securing evidence. His prices are good too; a safe is a piece of equipment; not something pretty you want to display for all to see.

50BMGBOB
02-05-2006, 3:24 PM
+1 with fatcat, I have a "Sportsman safe" and while the safe is OK, I would not buy another one from them because of their service. I even had their owner curse at me over the phone. If they hadn't had my deposit and my safe ready to ship (after twice the time they quoted) I would have canciled my order. I also ended up taking care of the cosmetic damage from shipping myself. I have had several friends buy safes after seeing mine and none have been from them, agian, not because of the safe but the service!