PDA

View Full Version : 1858 Barrel Swap?

Longshot37
03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
I have a 1858 Rem .44 cap and ball with a 12" barrel on it, however it is brass framed =(
I just got the same thing in steel frame but with an 8" barrel.
Are the barrels hard to swap?
If not what is the process
Thanx

Argonaut
03-09-2010, 1:25 PM
I would build a really close tolerance jig to hold the frame in the vice(particularly the brass one) It will need very strong complete support so it doesn't spring. What are you trying to do? It would be safer to just cut the 12" down in place if you are trying to get a shorter one.

Longshot37
03-09-2010, 2:07 PM
I want to use the 12" barrel on the steel frame

Asphodel
03-09-2010, 2:47 PM
Do you know for any certainty that both of the revolvers were made in the same plant, in Italy, or where-ever, and at approximately the same time?

If so, the barrels *may* be interchangeable, but its very unlikely.

You aren't dealing with older Smith & Wesson close tolerances/replaceable parts here.

Its probably a really bad idea to try to remove a barrel from a brass frame revolver, actually. Depending on the thread fit, you have a very good chance of warping/distorting the frame unless you make up some really good fixtures to clamp the barrel and frame, with suitable felt or other padding to avoid scarring the metal, but enough clamping area to avoid distortion.

In short, trying to break the barrel threads loose is probably a really bad idea.

cheers

Carla

Longshot37
03-09-2010, 3:34 PM
yeah i guess i'll leave it alone just a thought no worries guess i'll just have to settle with having 2 fun guns to play with.......what a bummer :gunsmilie:

scrat
03-11-2010, 6:49 PM
good choice. One thing you did not mention was the maker of both. Uberti, Pietta, ASM there are many different types. Same time some of the makers change the way steel and brass are made. Take original colts back in the first days of those guns. You could take a cylinder off an 1851 .36 and put it on a 1860 Navy no problem. However today they do not match even from the same maker. Some of the reasons is the design is slightly different on the brass frames versus the steel. Same time different manufactures will use different tolerences and sizes. I have an 1851 in Brass frame and an 1851 in Steel frame. The cylinders for these guns are not interchangeable Neither are the barrels. They are both different and only fit those guns. Ever watch The Good The Bad and The Ugly. there is a part where Tuko went into a gunshop and took apart several revolvers, checked each part then assembled his own gun. The originals you could do that. Today you can not. So the chances of those two barrels interchanging is not so good. Being metric at the same time its very hard to tell without taking apart the thread pitch. Then chaces are one of them is going to be ruined when taking them apart. You have two different guns and you have twice the fun.