PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1878 DA Frontier Needs Gunsmithing

bigstick61
03-08-2010, 11:03 PM
My friend just bought one of these for $200; it is an original. The timing, though, is off, and he is also not sure if it is safee to fire. Are there any gunsmiths who work on this; apparently all of the ones he has talked to do not want to work on it because of the nature of the double action mechanism, which apparently is troublesom to work with.

Argonaut
03-09-2010, 1:32 PM
The Cowboy action guys have a guy named Dangerous Dave (as I remember). He is a wizard with them. Some parts are getting difficult to find but a company called Colt Parts in Washington State has most of them. They are strongly built and usually safe to shoot but bad timing can destroy the revolver. Colt Parts are good guys and I am sure will also recommend a good smith. I will give him 400.00 for it and save him all the trouble!!!!!!!!

gun toting monkeyboy
03-09-2010, 2:04 PM
The problem isn't that the action is difficult to work with, or prone to breaking. It is simply that they are different from most other DA guns ever made. I would check out the various Cowboy Action Shooting smiths for one who is familiar with them. They should be able to get it back up and running. Don't try shooting it before you get it checked out, because, as the other poster noted, if the timing is off, it can wreck the gun.

-Mb

bigstick61
03-09-2010, 4:31 PM
The Cowboy action guys have a guy named Dangerous Dave (as I remember). He is a wizard with them. Some parts are getting difficult to find but a company called Colt Parts in Washington State has most of them. They are strongly built and usually safe to shoot but bad timing can destroy the revolver. Colt Parts are good guys and I am sure will also recommend a good smith. I will give him 400.00 for it and save him all the trouble!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you would! He knows what it is actually worth. He found out after he bought it.