PDA

View Full Version : Rechambering

hollowpoint67
03-08-2010, 5:23 PM
hey guys, I have a large interest in some C&R's but ammo shortages and the desire not to have to buy 6 different calibers is keeping me from making the dive so for the following weapons is it:

-Possible to have it done?

-Safe after the modification

-Reliable?

C&R rifles:

-Enfield mk.4 or SMLE
-K98k/BRNO

Milsurp Collector
03-08-2010, 5:44 PM
hey guys, I have a large interest in some C&R's but ammo shortages and the desire not to have to buy 6 different calibers is keeping me from making the dive...

That's why they invented reloading. ;)

Part of what makes a milsurp rifle interesting is the ammo that it uses. There are already lots of milsurp rifles that were bought and rechambered in the 1940s-1960s when they were a cheap way to get a cheap deer rifle. You can probably find one that has already been rechambered if that's what you really want. But reasonably priced .303 and 8mm x 57 ammo isn't that hard to find

.303 British http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/24_98_210/products_id/550

8mm x 57 http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/24_103_429/products_id/336

hollowpoint67
03-08-2010, 5:57 PM
That's why they invented reloading. ;)

Part of what makes a milsurp rifle interesting is the ammo that it uses. There are already lots of milsurp rifles that were bought and rechambered in the 1940s-1960s when they were a cheap way to get a cheap deer rifle. You can probably find one that has already been rechambered if that's what you really want. But reasonably priced .303 and 8mm x 57 ammo isn't that hard to find

.303 British http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/24_98_210/products_id/550

8mm x 57 http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/24_103_429/products_id/336

i KNEW someone would say that haha, I would love to dive into reloading but as im finishing up my last year of college the $$$ for the initial reloading set up is a bit rich for my blood currently, and those are great prices on the .303 and 8mm, however the problem of munition standardization still stands :( but you bring up very valid points.

Milsurp Collector
03-08-2010, 6:21 PM
I would love to dive into reloading but as im finishing up my last year of college the $$$ for the initial reloading set up is a bit rich for my blood currently,

All this for $109.99 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=622290#enlarge

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/622290.jpg

Dies for each caliber around $30 a set. You'll need a few other accessories (manuals, powder trickler, dial caliper, reloading trays, trimmer, maybe a case cleaner), powder, primers, and bullets. You could get started for around $200. After the initial investment all you need is powder, primers, and bullets, some fired reloadable brass, and another set of $30 dies if you want to reload another type of cartridge.

and those are great prices on the .303 and 8mm, however the problem of munition standardization still stands :( but you bring up very valid points.

Keeping the correct ammo to feed my firearms just isn't that big a deal to me. I have .22LR, .380ACP, .45ACP, .30 M1 Carbine, .30-06, .308, 5.56, .303 British, 7.62 x 54r, 8mm x 57, 6.5 Japanese, and 7.7 Japanese, and I reload all of it except .22LR, 7.62 x 54r, and 8mm x 57. It doesn't take up that much room.

hollowpoint67
03-08-2010, 6:24 PM
well im all out of ammo (excues)

good stuff thanks milsurp, although I have to ask in your eyes you think it would be wise to just save and buy a dillon 650? (friend has one says its amazing)

Milsurp Collector
03-08-2010, 6:40 PM
although I have to ask in your eyes you think it would be wise to just save and buy a dillon 650? (friend has one says its amazing)

I think you answered your own question:

I would love to dive into reloading but as im finishing up my last year of college the $$$ for the initial reloading set up is a bit rich for my blood currently

I don't have a Dillon, they cost a few hundred dollars more, but the people who have them love them. I got my reloading equipment around 20 years ago and it has served me well so I never felt the need to get a progressive press. I don't shoot often enough to have to crank out hundreds of rounds every month.

RimfireJim
03-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Keeping the correct ammo to feed my firearms just isn't that big a deal to me. I have .22LR, .380ACP, .45ACP, .30 M1 Carbine, .30-06, .308, 5.56, .303 British, 7.62 x 54r, 8mm x 57, 6.5 Japanese, and 7.7 Japanese, and I reload all of it except .22LR, 7.62 x 54r, and 8mm x 57. It doesn't take up that much room.

:iagree:
I haven't been in this hobby all that long, but I have four of the calibers on MC's list plus five others, making us about even, and it's just not that big of a deal. If anything, it makes it more interesting, because they are all different. Yeah, you have to organize things to keep them from co-mingling, but some inexpensive surplus ammo cans or even cardboard boxes takes care of that. When I go to the range, I typically take three or four, usually a couple of pistol calibers and a couple of rifles. Another day, I'll take some different ones.
"Variety is the spice of life."

Farquaad
03-08-2010, 10:48 PM
You can solve your ammo standardization problem by buying a bunch of Mausers or Enfields. Get a SMLE III*, then a No4, then a No5, then a Canadian Long Branch, and Australian Lithgow, Indian Ishapore, US Property.

On a serious note, you will spend more rechambering a rifle than you would spend on reloading and since the ammunition generally costs the same for new manufacture of similar caliber ammo whats the point. That and you will be destroying a nice rifle in the process.

mls343
03-09-2010, 3:45 AM
+ 1 on the reloading. This will be my next step too. Besides, it looks like a lot of fun!

hollowpoint67
03-09-2010, 1:03 PM
well you guys axed my plans in a good way.

thanks for the replies :)

gun toting monkeyboy
03-09-2010, 1:11 PM
Better to find that out now, then to end up destroying a good C&R and finding out that you have spent twice as much on a second-rate sporter as you would have on a new rifle. Reloading is easy, and they usually sell an even cheaper single-stage press kit if the $109 is too rich for you. I have used the same cheap Lee press for over 15 years, and it is still going strong. It isn't as fast as a multi-stage press, but I am ok with that. Just be aware, C&Rs and reloading for them is addictive. I reload for more than 60 calibers at this point. Many of which haven't been made in decades. There is just something incredibly satisfying about getting an old rifle up and shooting again.

-Mb

Pthfndr
03-09-2010, 4:11 PM
It would cost you more to get those 2 rifles rechambered to fire the same cartridge than it would to buy all the reloading equipment you need, plus some powder, primers, bullets and brass.

If you want 2 of those rifles in the same chambering, sell both of them, and buy an Ishapore Enfield in .308 and an Israeli K98 in .308......Which would still cost you more than getting all the reloading stuff.

Argonaut
03-09-2010, 4:33 PM
everyone sounds like they are on the same page but you are not looking at "rechambering" as the bores are different. You would have to entirely rebarrel something. Military ammo is not difficult to come by and you can mail order whatever you want. Reloading is more important if you are (for instance) wanting to hunt in Condor country and have to use no-lead bullets. Surplus ammo comes on the market in waves (like the rifles) When it is abundant it is cheep (buy then) and the rest of the time it is still cheaper than sporting ammo. We have a few calibers that we specialize in (308, 223) and have other rifles that we don't shoot as much (6.5X55, 378 Weatherby, 8mm Mauser, 7.65X53 Mauser)

sevensix2x51
03-09-2010, 4:40 PM
i buy popular military chambered rifles to specifically AVOID having to reload. for me, time is money. about $40/hr, to be precise. i make more money at work than i save reloading, by a pretty big margin....

Milsurp Collector
03-09-2010, 5:30 PM
for me, time is money. about $40/hr, to be precise. i make more money at work than i save reloading, by a pretty big margin....

So do you consider the time you spend sleeping, eating, going to the bathroom, having fun with your family, and enjoying your hobbies as "lost income" that is costing you $40/hr that you could otherwise be making? I make a lot more than $40 an hour at work, but I treasure my free time away from work, including the time I'm doing things like reloading, which I find to be fun and relaxing. I don't put a dollar value on my free time, because nobody is paying me for that time.

sevensix2x51
03-09-2010, 6:56 PM
So do you consider the time you spend sleeping, eating, going to the bathroom, having fun with your family, and enjoying your hobbies as "lost income" that is costing you $40/hr that you could otherwise be making? I make a lot more than $40 an hour at work, but I treasure my free time away from work, including the time I'm doing things like reloading, which I find to be fun and relaxing. I don't put a dollar value on my free time, because nobody is paying me for that time.

i dont have a family, and i generally poop on the clock. so yes, i consider anything i dont enjoy doing for free, to be lost income. i dont really consider sitting at a bench pulling levers to be fun, i could be making money instead. when .223 goes for $215/1000rd, ill just buy it. its cool that youre better than me, but i have the right to my opinions and my meager hourly wage.

hollowpoint67
03-09-2010, 9:20 PM
haha id be stoked for $40/hr, im in my last quarter of school as an intern and making $10....:ack2: