PDA

View Full Version : Say a guy builds an AR...

WILDMAN442
03-08-2010, 5:18 PM
In a california legal setup. Bullet button and 10 rounders and the whole deal.

But then becomes a police officer. Will this person beable to use 30 rounders and eliminate the bullet button if the rifle will NOT be used for duty?

Thanks in advance guys

Justin

slick_711
03-08-2010, 5:26 PM
I'm not a cop, but from work experience in the firearms industry:

Possibly. The rifle needs to be registered as an AW. LEOs are able to process such registration IF they get a letter from their department saying it is a work related firearm and lists the make/model/serial #. Many departments give out these letters fairly freely and don't require the rifle to be a duty rifle; other departments do not. Some departments have a requirement that it be a factory complete rifle and/or certain brand. So it will depend on which department the officer worked for and how well he negotiated with his Chief or range officer.

Simply becoming a cop does not give him the right to remove the bullet button and use high caps. I don't think that was your assumption, just clarifying to be safe.

WILDMAN442
03-08-2010, 5:54 PM
Right absolutely. Was just seeing what some of the knowledgeable folks here had to say about it.

Thanks!

Justin

BigDogatPlay
03-08-2010, 6:36 PM
Removing the BB on a featured OLL, or inserting a high cap to a BB gun = manufacturing an AW, LEO or no LEO.

The gun would need to be regged as an AW and, for the paperwork and such involved it's been advised in this forum by others to, as a LEO, buy an AW and reg it and leave the OLL as is.

Ron-Solo
03-08-2010, 6:42 PM
Removing the BB on a featured OLL, or inserting a high cap to a BB gun = manufacturing an AW, LEO or no LEO.

The gun would need to be regged as an AW and, for the paperwork and such involved it's been advised in this forum by others to, as a LEO, buy an AW and reg it and leave the OLL as is.

:iagree:

I have several rifles built from OLLs. They are California compliant, and I'm a LEO.

yzernie
03-08-2010, 6:44 PM
In a california legal setup. Bullet button and 10 rounders and the whole deal.

But then becomes a police officer. Will this person beable to use 30 rounders and eliminate the bullet button if the rifle will NOT be used for duty?

Thanks in advance guys

Justin
Simple answer, no. Removal of the BB and the addition of the 30rd mags makes it an AW. An LEO cannot even use 10+ mags in it with a BB.

Unit74
03-08-2010, 8:00 PM
I built two and tried to look for a hole.

Short answer is you need a Chief's letter and it has to be regged as an AW.

No other way around it. Funny how my issued Colt 6920 sleeps right next to my CA legal rifles. lame... But that's the law.

Most of the time I take my Colt lower and drop my other high end uppers on it.

Jwood562
03-08-2010, 11:41 PM
true. I am a LEO with four ar type weapons. sadly only one is a registered AW. which means the rest have BB and 10rd mags.

Im am working a way to get another letter signed by the chief to get a second AR as an AW for "training" and range practice ;)

five.five-six
03-08-2010, 11:42 PM
a guy builds an AR

there, I said it

powderedtoastman
03-10-2010, 5:29 PM
x2 what Jwood said. My agency gave me a letter stating that I'm authorized to register assault weapons for personal use. You HAVE to have a RAW and you must REGISTER it if you want to do what you stated. Only certain agencies will give out these letters. Usually smaller agencies will let their officers buy their own AR's for duty to save the department money.

tazmanian devil dog
03-15-2010, 11:55 PM
The laws in this state suck so bad, my God!!! When did we stop being a free country? Sorry for the rant, but sheesh, even LEOS can't do anything without "special" permission.

alex00
03-16-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.exilemachine.com/images/IMG_8194.JPG

I think that is one of my favorite configurations of all the pictures you have posted on your site. You are really tempting me to go featureless on my next build.