PDA

View Full Version : Polygonal rifle barrels?

Booshanky
03-08-2010, 2:47 PM
Anyone know who makes AR Barrels that have polygonal rifling? I really like how much easier they are to clean (My USP anyway) and I'm curious about the performance.

IllTemperedCur
03-08-2010, 2:54 PM
The Larue Stealth uppers all have poly rifled barrels.

12:13
03-08-2010, 2:56 PM
Lothar Walther

Booshanky
03-08-2010, 3:06 PM
Are they any better or worse than regular rifled barrels? And yes, I understand the vagueness of the question.

ar15barrels
03-08-2010, 3:29 PM
LaRue uses Lothar Walther barrels.
Some Noveske barrels are also Polygonal.

aplinker
03-08-2010, 3:58 PM
LaRue uses Lothar Walther barrels.
Some Noveske barrels are also Polygonal.

You aren't going to give your "sort of polygonal" speech @ Noveske?

Booshanky
03-08-2010, 4:10 PM
I undertstand that polygonal rifling in handguns makes them easier to clean, and produces a better seal between bullet and barrel resulting in higher velocities of projectiles. I'm just curious to know whether that's also true in long barrels.

tonelar
03-08-2010, 4:29 PM
Projectile and rifling technology aren't gonna differ tremendously between platforms, Booshanky.

The case with a HK91, SP89, P7M8 or your USP are going to generally remain the same (looonger barrels will yield higher velocities). Only downside to the polygonal barrel being they lead fould readily when using lead bullets.

FYI, I haven't seen a big difference in ease of cleaning between various types of barrels, but maybe it's cause I use bore snakes and shoot jacketed bullets exclusively in my autos.

Jonathan Doe
03-08-2010, 4:41 PM
Majority of top grade match rifles and handguns have cut rifled barrels. They are not any harder to clean.

phish
03-08-2010, 9:19 PM
Lothar Walther does not use polygonal rifling. Pac-nor (which supplies Noveske), Schneider, Bartlein, Obermeyer, Border and Krieger offer polygonal rifled barrels.

bomb_on_bus
03-08-2010, 9:52 PM
I would venture to say if there is a difference its small, but many of the barrel manufactuers stand behind them.

I have quite a few and like em with out any complaints

ar15barrels
03-08-2010, 9:56 PM
Lothar Walther does not use polygonal rifling.

oops...

http://www.lothar-walther.com/380.php

Perhaps LaRue does not BUY the polygonal blanks, but Lother Walther certainly MAKES them.

ar15barrels
03-08-2010, 9:59 PM
Pac-nor (which supplies Noveske), Schneider, Bartlein, Obermeyer, Border and Krieger offer polygonal rifled barrels.

Now you are confusing a "5r" rifling profile with a polygonal riflling profile...

Pacnor does polygonal, but bartlein, Obermeyer and Krieger only offer conventional and 5r rifling profiles.

phish
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
oops...

http://www.lothar-walther.com/380.php

Perhaps LaRue does not BUY the polygonal blanks, but Lother Walther certainly MAKES them.

I stand corrected then. After my last LW barrel went TU after 2.4k rounds, I went with Krieger and haven't looked back since. It was probably a botched chambering job, but if LW50 is that much harder to machine, then why bother with it...