PDA

View Full Version : Unable to make copies

zoid52
03-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I am unable to make ANY copies to a dvd from 'my documents' folder. Any ideas?

SmokinMr2
03-07-2010, 1:52 PM
Not enough info. What are you trying to copy, and what program are you using?
I have been having success with imgburn and it will do files (documents or any other) to disk fine. It can also tell you if your drive is working correctly.
http://www.imgburn.com/
It's freeware :)

zoid52
03-07-2010, 2:46 PM
Drive works fine;trying to copy pics and music which are stored in my docs folder. Tried Nero and it doesnt work. Windows XP.

Noobert
03-07-2010, 2:48 PM
You are trying to burn to a disc?

zoid52
03-07-2010, 3:50 PM
Yes

Ricky-Ray
03-07-2010, 9:03 PM
My first question's would be is your DVD drive a DVD recorder? What software are you using to burn the files to your DVD recorder?

JDay
03-08-2010, 2:59 AM
Try this, it works good and is free.

http://cdburnerxp.se/

chiefcrash
03-08-2010, 8:57 AM
try imgburn

they also have a portable version if you prefer...

gunn
03-08-2010, 2:55 PM
This may be a stupid question but are there any open programs while you are trying to burn the disc?

Some programs (Nero may be one of them) require that files be closed before you can copy them.

For example, I cannot backup my .PST (outlook mail archives) unless Outlook is closed.

zoid52
03-08-2010, 5:28 PM
I loaded IMGBURN. I cant select the source when I browse the files and folders in my documents folder. The same thing happens in Nero. I must be doing a wrong application as I cannot select a file to copy to disk.

elrcastor
03-08-2010, 6:17 PM
Do you have more than one optical drive in your computer? If so are you selecting the right one?

Pyrodyne
03-08-2010, 6:27 PM
Are you trying to burn an image to disk, or burn files directly to disk? You need to choose different modes for each of those tasks.

zoid52
03-08-2010, 6:47 PM
I noticed there are files on my 'C' drive (computers HD) that are not in 'My Documents" folder unless I added those files to the 'C' drive. I added a copy of 'My Pictures' file from 'My Documents' to the 'C' drive. I was able to burn from the'C' drive but unable to make a copy from the 'My Documents' folder unless I burn a copy to the 'C' drive. Is that the way you have to do it and you are unable to burn directly from the 'My Documents' folder unless a copy of that folder exists on the'C' drive

zoid52
03-08-2010, 7:29 PM
Also in IMGBURN is there a way to set to set the amount of GB to match the amount of music in a music folder;i.e. dvd are usually 4.7GB ,add albums from music folder to match GB. Maybe not explaining clearly but I hope you understand what Im trying to do.

JDay
03-08-2010, 7:48 PM
This may be a stupid question but are there any open programs while you are trying to burn the disc?

Some programs (Nero may be one of them) require that files be closed before you can copy them.

For example, I cannot backup my .PST (outlook mail archives) unless Outlook is closed.

That's actually a limitation with the file system on older versions of windows.

JDay
03-08-2010, 7:51 PM
Also in IMGBURN is there a way to set to set the amount of GB to match the amount of music in a music folder;i.e. dvd are usually 4.7GB ,add albums from music folder to match GB. Maybe not explaining clearly but I hope you understand what Im trying to do.

If you have the full Nero suite it comes with a program called Backitup that will backup onto several discs.

Pyrodyne
03-11-2010, 9:13 PM
I noticed there are files on my 'C' drive (computers HD) that are not in 'My Documents" folder unless I added those files to the 'C' drive. I added a copy of 'My Pictures' file from 'My Documents' to the 'C' drive. I was able to burn from the'C' drive but unable to make a copy from the 'My Documents' folder unless I burn a copy to the 'C' drive. Is that the way you have to do it and you are unable to burn directly from the 'My Documents' folder unless a copy of that folder exists on the'C' drive

This sounds like a filename length limitation. Do you use the option to burn with the original folder locations onto the disc? That might put you over the limit on most CD filesystems. UDF (DVD) isn't as restrictive.