PDA

View Full Version : best way to bolt a safe to the floor

sned45
01-31-2006, 4:32 PM
I rent in a duplex and would like to run lag bolts down into the floor through the carpet. I do know if you run a drill/lag bolts through carpet they can grab the strands and start to unweave the carpet.

How does everyone recommend going about to secure the safe to the floor with out messing up the carpet?

Bobshouse
01-31-2006, 4:42 PM
I drilled several bolts into the cement foundation of my house using a hilti. Went through the carpeting and the pad without any visible damage. Are you drilling into cement or wood?

Bob

JPglee1
01-31-2006, 4:59 PM
I rent in a duplex and would like to run lag bolts down into the floor through the carpet. I do know if you run a drill/lag bolts through carpet they can grab the strands and start to unweave the carpet.

How does everyone recommend going about to secure the safe to the floor with out messing up the carpet?

http://www.simpsonanchors.com/images/product/vgc-vanity-new.jpg
VGC epoxy capsule installed in floor...

Cut an "X" in the carpet with an X-acto or utility knife where the holes are gonna go, then drill into the concrete with a roto drill, then use simpson (www.strongtie.com) epoxy capsules and hammer-in lag bolts for retrofiting wall hold downs in construction.

After the holes are drilled, the epoxy capsule (simpson VGC50 for 1/2" bolt)goes in and you hammer the 1/2" anchor stud into the hole. Then you drop safe on in 20mins and tighten up the bolts.

Good luck!

J

Gnote
01-31-2006, 7:24 PM
Because you are renting, I would suggest getting permission from the owner first if you haven't already done so. It is the polite thing to do and the owner would not try to screw you for damages when you move out.

c good
01-31-2006, 8:13 PM
Also, remember if you are on a ground floor, there are lots of pipes and pre-tension cables in those slabs of concrete! Unless you are on a sub-floor/stem-wall type of constructed dwelling, (where there is a crawlspace under the unit and you can see all the stuff) I would suggest you get a blueprint of the dwelling before drilling any type of hole in the concrete. You may end up with more water (fresh or black!) coming up through the floor than you counted on.l
Also..as suggested above, you might want to get the permission of of the landlord before making any "improvements".. HTH c good

JPglee1
02-01-2006, 9:57 AM
Also, remember if you are on a ground floor, there are lots of pipes and pre-tension cables in those slabs of concrete! Unless you are on a sub-floor/stem-wall type of constructed dwelling, (where there is a crawlspace under the unit and you can see all the stuff) I would suggest you get a blueprint of the dwelling before drilling any type of hole in the concrete. You may end up with more water (fresh or black!) coming up through the floor than you counted on.l
Also..as suggested above, you might want to get the permission of of the landlord before making any "improvements".. HTH c good

Probably wont be able to get any plans... I draw plans, most cities/homeowners don't keep them for long.

If its in a walk in closet, away from a bathroom or kitchen you're probably OK on all counts... LPG pipes are in the attic so only water you gotta worry about, and usually they run it close to the fixtures, on the shortest run possible.

Good luck!

J

Rob Jones
02-01-2006, 10:27 AM

Have you mentioned your desire to your landlord? Most leases / rental agreements prohibit what you're wanting to do without landlord permission. Also, keep in mind that whatever technique you use to secure your safe will probably result in something very ugly and/or downright dangerous being left behind when you move (you will want to take your safe when you move, correct?)

Rob

-hanko
02-01-2006, 2:11 PM
Also, keep in mind that whatever technique you use to secure your safe will probably result in something very ugly and/or downright dangerous being left behind when you move (you will want to take your safe when you move, correct?)

Rob
I drill through the slab until I hit sand/dirt/whatever. Install the anchor bolts. If you ever need to move the safe, undo the anchor nuts & drive the bolts down slightly below top of the slab. Use a patching material if you want.

-hanko

saki302
02-04-2006, 3:23 AM
In modern apartment construction, there can be all manner of pipes running through the ceiling or floors. Be very careful when drilling. If you rupture a sewage pipe, God help you.
Depending on where you are drilling, the likelihood of a pipe may be low, but it's worth checking into if possible.

-Dave

Renron
02-28-2006, 6:41 AM
If your safe will be installed up against a wall, concider lags into the bottom sil plate and studs. Easy to repair when you move. And yes, get permission first. Respect the owners property, as you would expect the same from him. If you damage something and leave it, when you move you will be out your deposit / security $$$.

taloft
03-01-2006, 6:20 PM
After you get permission, and have located any pipes.

You can use a cheap leather punch, purchased from Michaels or similar crafts store, to cut perfect circles through the carpet and padding. Keep the circles that you cut until you move. Don't use a Hammer for this! You'll just kill the edge on the punch. Just apply hand pressure and turn. They are usually sharp enough to cut clean through.

Here's what they look like http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/hollow-punch

Attach safe as required depending on the surface, lag bolt for wood or epoxy thread-all combo for concrete. Getting ready to move? Just remove lag bolt from wood, pour a little wood glue into the hole and insert wood dowel of correct length/same dia. to fill hole, or grind thread-all flush with concrete using a cut-off wheel.

Then just add a dab of adhesive to the carpet circles and place back into holes. If you did it right it's real hard to tell where the bolt holes were located.