PDA

View Full Version : HDMI from laptop to TV no sound

thebloodsonthewall
03-06-2010, 9:40 AM
So I just hooked up my laptop to my TV through the HDMI ports and there is no sound. It is only coming out of my laptop. How do I make the sound come out of the TV speakers?

TonyM
03-06-2010, 10:11 AM
So I just hooked up my laptop to my TV through the HDMI ports and there is no sound. It is only coming out of my laptop. How do I make the sound come out of the TV speakers?

Look at the Sound mixer in the control panel. You should have a device that is listed as HDMI Audio, etc. You will need to enable this as your sound device.

After setting the device, you will likely need to close the apps you're using to play the media and restart them so they will use the new sound device (HDMI Audio).

If that doesn't work, give more details, OS, what does your sound mixer have for playback devices, etc.

JDay
03-06-2010, 10:56 AM
^^^ This, although Vista and 7 should switch the audio device automatically when you hookup HDMI.

thebloodsonthewall
03-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I am using Windows 7. When I go to the sound devices, only the computers speakers show up.

NSR500
03-06-2010, 1:07 PM
You have an nvidia hdmi on that laptop?
Mine gives me issues sometimes as well under Vista. I have yet to try it under Windows 7 yet.

thebloodsonthewall
03-06-2010, 1:14 PM
You have an nvidia hdmi on that laptop?
Mine gives me issues sometimes as well under Vista. I have yet to try it under Windows 7 yet.

I'm not sure.

I am leaving for a month for training tomorrow morning and I was trying to get this all set-up for my wife since we don't have cable yet. I am pretty much out of time, so I will just mess with it when I get back. A couple of my buddies are staying back, I bet one of them would come over and help my wife get it working. They are the commo guys for the special operations unit here in Hawaii, I think they can figure it out.

JDay
03-06-2010, 1:16 PM
I'm not sure.

I am leaving for a month for training tomorrow morning and I was trying to get this all set-up for my wife since we don't have cable yet. I am pretty much out of time, so I will just mess with it when I get back. A couple of my buddies are staying back, I bet one of them would come over and help my wife get it working. They are the commo guys for the special operations unit here in Hawaii, I think they can figure it out.

Just get a cable that goes from your headphone jack to the RCA audio on your tv. $5 at radioshack.

NSR500
03-06-2010, 1:27 PM
Good luck with training!
If anything JDay's suggestion should work for the audio.

thebloodsonthewall
03-06-2010, 4:57 PM
Just get a cable that goes from your headphone jack to the RCA audio on your tv. $5 at radioshack.

That sounds like a very simple fix. I like it. I think I have a few of those little cables sitting around. Thank you.

Corbin Dallas
03-06-2010, 9:40 PM
Check your advanced video settings, on my laptop there is an option for HDMI with or without audio.