View Full Version : First AR Build Done!

03-06-2010, 7:04 AM
So you start with one of these...

Add a little water, sun, and fertilizer ($$$) and it grows into one of these...

Ordered the Upper from Noveske on Wednesday and got it in on Friday. I wish my photo taking skills improved like my shooting skills. Seems no matter how many pictures I shoot, they all look like garbage...= (

Specs for those interested:

Noveske N4 Lower
RRA Lower Parts Kit
Bullet Button (For California Compliance)
VLTOR E-Mod Stock
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
Magpul MIAD Grip
Noveske N4 Light Recce 16" Upper with Cold Hammer Forged Barrel & VLTOR MUR Upper Receiver
Troy Front and Rear Battle Sights
Smith Vortex Flash Hider
PMAG 10/20 Magazine (20 round body but only 10 round capacity)

I just want to thank all the folks at Calguns for offering so much great info. I can't even count the number of hours I have spent reading threads on this site educating myself about AR patterned sporting rifles.

So anyone care to suggest some nice ranges in the Bay Area where I can put some lead down range? I have been to circle S a few times and it's really hit or miss depending on the weather conditions, looking to try out a new spot.

03-06-2010, 7:14 AM
Very nice!

As for ranges, there's a few to pick from. Chabot, Richmond, Sunnyvale, Los Altos, Metcalf, etc. You'll find plenty of AR's at all of them.

03-06-2010, 7:35 AM
Ahhhh yes another Noveske rifle! Nice build. Hope you enjoy yours as I have mine. Get it out this weekend and stretch it's legs and return with a range report thank you.

03-06-2010, 8:09 AM
Nice rifle!

Take some shots outdoors using the natural light. The pictures won't be so grainy.

03-06-2010, 8:11 AM
ok, now that's a nice first build!

West coast
03-06-2010, 8:47 AM
Nice build.......

03-06-2010, 8:53 AM
Looks nice!!! Putting together my first AR build later today, picking up my lower out of prison hell at 1:31 today will post pics as soon as done. :D

03-06-2010, 9:04 AM
Very nice first build! I'm jealous now. Congrats you made a mighty fine choice!

03-06-2010, 9:39 AM
Thanks for the kind words folks! I really struggled for a while trying to figure out what kind of upper to get and from which manufacturer. I had actually planned on getting a BCM upper and even bought a BCM MPI bolt carrier assembly and BCM Gunfighter CH.

While doing research across old calguns.net threads I saw a link to an article related to an interview with John Noveske. I read through it as I was still on the fence about going cold hammer forged or stainless. They talked about the barrels but then it was a statement that John Noveske made about the company that manufactures the rails for his uppers SWS. He talked about how the rail was a proprietary design and when the interviewer asked him about getting legal copyrights for the rail, John made the comment that a handshake was the only contract he needed. I was totally taken back by that statement and after that moment decided that I would have to get a Noveske rifle simply because the company reflected my personal values related to a persons word and handshake standing for something. I guess it helps that they also make a great product.

Went to a couple of places and can't find any .223 ammo so far...:confused:

Once again, I want to thank all the folks on Calguns.net for being such a great resource to everyone.

03-06-2010, 9:47 AM
Very nice rifle

03-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Excellent taste! Nice rifle.

03-06-2010, 12:25 PM
looks good, i need to build 1.

03-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Very nice indeed. Hit up Chabot and for ammo look here (http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=.223) it is a great site to find good deals on ammo from all around. Pop in your zip and get overall cost per round shipped to you. Ammo is a tad bit expensive for .223 right still. Just keep looking around,