PDA

View Full Version : CA-compliant Daniel Defense M4

SIGman Freud
03-06-2010, 12:45 AM
What do y'all think of this rifle? I saw it at my lgs for $1299.99. Is that a good deal?

ChrisTKHarris
03-06-2010, 7:11 AM
If it's $1299 for the CARBINE version then yes that is a very good deal.

CHS
03-06-2010, 7:52 AM
Is it the Daniel Defense M4 Carbine, or the Daniel Defense XV?

If it's the XV, then it's not a good deal.
If it's the M4 Carbine or M4V2, then it's a good deal.

SIGman Freud
03-06-2010, 8:06 AM
Yes, it's for the M4 (not the XV, nor the M4 v2).

The only thing I'm not so crazy about is all that rail, particularly as it extends beyond the front sight a bit. I'm also wondering if that forward grip can move in closer. It's set too far forward. I'm a total noob with AR's, so bear with me. Lol

Still, from what I'm hearing, this sounds like something I probably shouldn't pass up. It's either this or the LMT Defender 2000 (not the monolithic rail platform) for the same price of $1299.99.

What do you guys think? Should I get the DD M4 at that price? Or, is the LMT a tried and true, safe bet rifle?

Need feedback soon (cuz I don't think this rifle will be in stock for much longer).

Thanks!

Smokinjoe101
03-06-2010, 8:19 AM

The only thing I'm not so crazy about is all that rail, particularly as it extends beyond the front sight a bit. I'm also wondering if that forward grip can move in closer. It's set too far forward. I'm a total noob with AR's, so bear with me. Lol

Still, from what I'm hearing, this sounds like something I probably shouldn't pass up. It's either this or the LMT Defender 2000 (not the monolithic rail platform) for the same price of $1299.99.

What do you guys think? Should I get the DD M4 at that price? Or, is the LMT a tried and true, safe bet rifle?

Need feedback soon (cuz I don't think this rifle will be in stock for much longer).

Thanks!

As many will tell you you can not go wrong with DD:) it's a good price for the DDM4 ,, as for the rail just more room to add accessories, I have the DDM4v2 and can not be happier.

sj

CHS
03-06-2010, 8:31 AM

Then it's a good deal :)

Yup, you can move that vertical grip wherever you want. Or remove it. Or replace it.

In my opinion, the LMT is probably a bit overpriced at $1299, if it's just the standard M4 style without a rail. Even if it's got the SOPMOD stock and 2-stage trigger, it's still about $50-100 overpriced.

For the money, go with the DDM4. If you REALLY can't stand the rail, maybe you'll be able to find someone who will trade you an Omega X 7.0 rail eventually. It's a pretty easy swap.

SIGman Freud
03-06-2010, 8:39 AM
Then it's a good deal :)

Yup, you can move that vertical grip wherever you want. Or remove it. Or replace it.

In my opinion, the LMT is probably a bit overpriced at $1299, if it's just the standard M4 style without a rail. Even if it's got the SOPMOD stock and 2-stage trigger, it's still about $50-100 overpriced.

For the money, go with the DDM4. If you REALLY can't stand the rail, maybe you'll be able to find someone who will trade you an Omega X 7.0 rail eventually. It's a pretty easy swap.

SWEET! I think I'm gettin' it, fellas! :)

I only hope they still got at least one in stock left (I was just there yesterday, late afternoon).

ArkinDomino
03-06-2010, 9:05 AM
DD ftw! Good luck!

ChrisTKHarris
03-06-2010, 10:32 AM
OP here's my M4 Carbine, just to give you some perspective. I used the very front of the rail for my bipod mount.

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr281/christkharris/photo-14.jpg

SIGman Freud
03-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm so stoked, dudes! I just bought it less than a half hour ago. It's such peace of mind for me to have picked up this quality piece that didn't break the bank for me. :)

For a time, I was considering the piston-based system, but after talking with some experienced users of the traditional DI system, I stayed with the DI carbine. I think for a first AR, this wasn't a bad one to start with. ;)

Thanks for the comments. I'll just have to wait the 10 days. After that, some pics and a test drive at the range! :punk:

aplinker
03-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I can't believe you bought that pile of crap. Oh well...

I'm kidding. Great rifle. :) You got a very nice price on one of the best carbines around. Enjoy it!

SIGman Freud
03-06-2010, 3:28 PM
I can't believe you bought that pile of crap. Oh well...

I'm kidding. Great rifle. :) You got a very nice price on one of the best carbines around. Enjoy it!

LOL! Thanks. :D

HK Dave
03-06-2010, 4:28 PM

Thanks!

I paid $1600 for mine last year... so i'd say $1300 is an awesome deal.

I actually like the rail... put a streamlight tlr-1 on top... right in front of the sight... perfect place for it.

SIGman Freud
03-06-2010, 4:38 PM
I paid $1600 for mine last year... so i'd say $1300 is an awesome deal.

I actually like the rail... put a streamlight tlr-1 on top... right in front of the sight... perfect place for it.

You know, it was starting to grow on me. I was fondling and groping "her" before they put the rifle in the 10-day oven. I adjusted the forward grip to more my liking, too. I think I did pretty well on this one. :)

aplinker
03-06-2010, 5:26 PM
You know, it was starting to grow on me. I was fondling and groping "her" before they put the rifle in the 10-day oven. I adjusted the forward grip to more my liking, too. I think I did pretty well on this one. :)

The long rail affords much better ergonomics than a 7" - more forward hold for stability & recoil management.

Gizmos
03-25-2010, 7:57 PM
Nice.... I just picked one up this month from DD's ranch for the same price. I was eyeballing it for the last year when places were trying to charging around 2k+ for them if they had stock. I might just be more of a noob ... now I can wait to see what you do to it so I can get ideas too. :)

Nor-Cal
03-26-2010, 8:00 PM
Congrats on the purchase fine weapon u got