PDA

View Full Version : Any reasons I can only fit 4 rounds into my 500A?

jessegpresley
01-30-2006, 10:36 PM
I bought one of those Big 5 Mossberg 500A specials with the 20" barrel and 8 round capacity, but can only fit 4 in the magazine. Any ideas?

DRM6000
01-30-2006, 10:40 PM
is there a plug in the mag?

Henry47
01-30-2006, 11:31 PM
there is a dowel inside the magazine that limits the capacity

jessegpresley
01-31-2006, 12:25 AM
Okay, I got it out. Was sittin' there readin' the instruction manual that says total magazine capacity (with one in the chamber) is 6. They mention the dowel. Couldn't figure out how to get it out, and then it just popped out the front. I got 8 +1 in there. Cool.

CowtownBallin
01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I only managed to get 7+1 in mine. that last one just wouldn't stay, and I wasn't about to force it. 2 3/4" shells, no big deal. I assume the 6+1 is if you use 3" shells.

accordingtoome
02-04-2006, 2:36 AM
hahahahahahaa.. i did the same thing. I was pissed for about fifteen minutes. I really want a 590 now

Nick5811
02-05-2006, 4:51 AM
Do you like it so far? I was at the Big 5 today looking at it.

I just want something to put in my closet to dispatch the crack head that comes into my house looking to rape my wife and kill me for my guns and drug money.

I think with a collapseable pistol grip stock (like I saw on the net for $60) it would be pretty cool to have! I don't go duck or pheasant hunting or anything, and I don't have the $1500 to buy a Benelli 1014 (which is what I really want.)

Is there a difference between the 500A and a 500?

accordingtoome
02-05-2006, 7:37 PM
Do you like it so far? I was at the Big 5 today looking at it.

I just want something to put in my closet to dispatch the crack head that comes into my house looking to rape my wife and kill me for my guns and drug money.

you have drug money??? thats not good .hahaha.. jk Ya i love my 500. I take to the range all the time and put at least..hmm... 1000 or so slugs through it. 200 or so 00 buck. So much fun to shoot:D

jessegpresley
02-07-2006, 1:43 AM
I just stuck a Knoxx Copstock on my 500a. Range report to follow soon. 2 months ago I had no shotguns, now I have 4:-)

Mesa Tactical
02-07-2006, 7:01 AM
I think with a collapseable pistol grip stock (like I saw on the net for $60) it would be pretty cool to have! I don't go duck or pheasant hunting or anything, and I don't have the $1500 to buy a Benelli 1014 (which is what I really want.)

Though we manufacture and sell shotgun accessories, we also advise folks that if all they want is something to throw in the closet and forget about it, they should buy a Mossberg 500 on sale at Big 5 and don't bother with accessories.

Our accessories can be very useful in tactical situations, especially for professional operators, but only if accompanied by lots of training. Accessories add complexity to the system, and if you do not intend to train with your weapon, unnecessary complexity is the last thing you want with a home defense weapon.

jessegpresley
02-09-2006, 2:04 AM
Our accessories can be very useful in tactical situations, especially for professional operators, but only if accompanied by lots of training. Accessories add complexity to the system, and if you do not intend to train with your weapon, unnecessary complexity is the last thing you want with a home defense weapon.

What's so complicated about an AR stock, picatinny rail and shell holder? You guys sell stick-on do-dads. I don't need to be a highly trained professional operator or ninja to work a shell holder.

You guys make some nice accessories, but let's not get carried away.

Jon
02-09-2006, 2:29 AM
I can see where Mesa is coming from. . .in regards to a home defense, go-to weapon.

Will the stock be at the right adjustment (LOP) for the person using it? Will the shotshell carrier be loaded or will it catch on something at an inopportune time? Will you or the person using the weapon turn on the red dot site on the rail? Will there be batteries in the site or did I take it out for the TV remote?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here. If it's just a range weapon, add all you want with little concern.

jessegpresley
02-09-2006, 2:02 PM
Am I holding the shotgun with the barrel towards the bad guy, or towards me? Did I just load the magazine with 12 gauge ammo, or sticks of Chapstick? Did I just brush my teeth with my shoe brush?

Nick5811
02-11-2006, 4:12 PM
Am I holding the shotgun with the barrel towards the bad guy, or towards me? Did I just load the magazine with 12 gauge ammo, or sticks of Chapstick? Did I just brush my teeth with my shoe brush?

Oww...my abs hurt from laughing so much...lol
I plan on training with it and going to the range as well. I believe that if you are going to trust your life to a peice of equipment you need to be proficient with it. I carry a glock CCW and I practice with that and go to the range *very* often.

As far as the pistol grip and collapseable stock, I mentioned I wanted a Benelli 1014 because that is what I am familiar and comfortable with. I carried it as a back up in the Marines and have spent many, many hours and put countless rounds throught that thing, not to mention hours cleaning that SOB...
However I don't have $1500 to buy one. I figure a mossberg 500/590 pump with the ambidextrous thumb safety, the behind the trigger guard silde release and the pistol grip with ghost ring iron sights it would be pretty close to what I've been trained with.

I appreciate your concern and advice on this matter.

explodingvarmit
02-13-2006, 10:44 AM
if you want to get the 8 capacity winchester seems to have shells that are a little shorter and i have found that i can fit 8 S & B slugs without haveing to force it. it all depends on the ammo for the 8th one to fit.

Mesa Tactical
02-13-2006, 1:32 PM
What's so complicated about an AR stock, picatinny rail and shell holder?

Well, for one thing they catch on webbing and clothing. Is the tactical advantage they will give you in a home defense scenario worth the risk that your pistol grip snags on clothing or your shell holder catches the edge of the wall as you bring the weapon up? Unless you spend some time training with your set-up, we can assure you with confidence the answer is no.

That Aimpoint you have mounted on top won't actually cause any problems if the battery is dead, but it is going to be worse than useless if you forget in the excitement to flip up the lens covers. And there is simply no way anyone will be able to get a shell out of a shell holder (ours or anyone else's) and load it in the dark without practice.

We aren't suggesting civilians shouldn't use our products; we are simply advising that without training and practice, shotgun bling is of no practical use or can even cause problems in a high adrenaline moment.

For the typical home defender, who doesn't have the time or interest in lots of regular range training and drills, the best weapon is the (unmodified) Mossberg 500 on sale at Big 5. And even then we feel it is more dangerous than useful if the owner doesn't take the time to run it through its paces.

techenigma
02-26-2006, 8:16 PM
And even then we feel it is more dangerous than useful if the owner doesn't take the time to run it through its paces.

such could be said for any gun, not just a shotgun...

socalsteve
03-02-2006, 2:26 PM
I put a folding stock with a pistol grip on my mossberg - what a waste - the grip angle just doesn't feel right to me - and you cannot access the mossbergs safty without taking your hand off the grip.

I went back to the original stock and it feels much better.