PDA

View Full Version : Learning how to shoot a .50bmg

gunsmithcats
03-05-2010, 7:59 PM
So back in 2004, I jumped on the crazy bandwagon to purchase a .50bmg before the ban deadline. Manned up, ate ramen and now i have a wonderful bluegrass armory viper. unfortunately ive probably taken it out less than 10 times due to deployments, time constraints, and finding a damn range that allows it.

But i really would like to learn how to shoot it properly, its applications, etc etc. since I've been told that .50bmgs are a completely different beast to shoot.

Anyone got any good reads that I can look up or download? I'm currently an active duty Marine and have access to SIPRnet, if theres anything on there worthwhile to look at from SOTIC or whatever.
Or would anyone be willing to spend a weekend showing me the ropes of a .50bmg? I'll pay for food, gas, and beer.

I had a friend's friend who spent a lot of time on the SASR (barrett) platform who offered to get me up to speed but his *** is always off in OEF/OIF.

Not a sniper or door kicker by any means, but would really like to learn the .50bmg platform.
Thanks gents.

Richie Caketown
03-05-2010, 8:05 PM
how about some pics for starters? you dont just start a 50bmg thread and leave us hanging like that

upinflames2400
03-05-2010, 8:07 PM
I've seen a few guys at Angeles from the 50 cal shooters association shooting 50bmg and 510dtc. I'm sure if you went on there website you could find out more about shooting with them. I'm sure there's some that are calgunners as well. I also know Barrett has a long range 1 and long range 2 course out of state. It's like 1500 dollars for 3 days of training with the 50bmg round. Not sure if that's what your looking for but just wanted to add my 2 cents :). Thanks for your service. Some of my best freinds are devil dogs. Be safe!

CSACANNONEER
03-05-2010, 8:14 PM
The best advise I can give you is to joing the FCSA! IIRC, we offer special rates to those who are currently in the service. Post you location here and someone local should volunteer to give you a hand. If you are anywhere near LA, Check out ASR on the third Sunday of the month.

The Viper is a great entry level rifle. When you join the FCSA and get access to the members only forum, look up jetdoc. He used to shoot a Viper very, very well. In fact, at SHOT this year, the guys at BGA asked me about him because, they all wanted to meet him and pick his brain. You might be able to track him down on the HK forums or maybe, some subgun forums as well.

If you are in the Bay Area, get a hold of 50BMGBOB. He holds a couple 200 yard 50 matches at USI every year and he also is the match dirrector of the FCSA match in Coalinga in June. I started shooting 50s about 5 years ago and have learned a lot from the FCSA forums and even more by shooting FCSA matches. Don't feel that you are not good enough to shoot a match! I attended my first FCSA match with only 9 rounds of 50 under my belt. So, if you can make a match or an informal 50 shoot, do it!

CSACANNONEER
03-05-2010, 8:16 PM
how about some pics for starters? you dont just start a 50bmg thread and leave us hanging like that

It's a Viper. If you've seen one, you've seen almost all of them. Of course, the, one of a kind, Skip Talbot Memorial Viper was awsome to see in person.

Sheldon
03-05-2010, 8:42 PM
How would it be any different to shoot? Get some data for the ballistics of your ammo and get to the range. It may kick a little more due to the recoil and I know the muzzle blast will something everyone else will know about, but you should be able to really reach out with it. I'de feel it a waste to be shooting it at 100 yards all the time though.

CSACANNONEER
03-06-2010, 7:58 AM
How would it be any different to shoot? Get some data for the ballistics of your ammo and get to the range. It may kick a little more due to the recoil and I know the muzzle blast will something everyone else will know about, but you should be able to really reach out with it. I'de feel it a waste to be shooting it at 100 yards all the time though.

So, it's obvious that you have never shot a 50. First of all, they have less recoil than a standard 12g. So, the recoil or, "kick" as you call it is actually less than most centerfire rifles. As far as shooting distances go, I know many competitive 50 shooter who shoot 1000 yard matches but, practice at their local 100 or 200 yard ranges because, that is the best they have available to them. Quality trigger time at 100 yards is far better than no trigger time at all.

FMJBT
03-06-2010, 9:43 AM
How close are you to San Diego? I know of some BLM land out here that you could use to stretch the legs on that Viper. Currently I have steel out to 1000 yards, but there is room to go much further.

gunsmithcats
03-06-2010, 5:29 PM
Thanks for the advice gents. Was trying to find some courses but they're all balls expensive, and I highly doubt I could convince my command to send me to a hard target interdiction course (Yes sir, it increases mission accomplishment)

Now that I think about it, I don't have any pictures of the viper. I'll get some up one of these days, but its an olive drab frame with Badger Ordnance SASR rings with a Premier Heritage 3-15 on top.

CSA, I'm currently a member of FCSA, but rarely had time to even look at the quarterly magazines that come in. Never knew you guys meet at ASR every 3rd sunday, i'll definitely try tomake it out one of these days, as im in Orange County. Do they allow steel core? All i have is two cans of Talon ammo from way back when.

FMJBT, thanks for the offer. Im based out of Camp Pendleton so its not too hard for me to head out to San Diego one of these weekends. To be honest, I havent shot this more than 200 yards (zeroing it in) so i'd be giddy like a school girl to even take it out toa 1000.

CSACANNONEER
03-06-2010, 6:01 PM
Glad to hear that you're a FCSA member. Check out the members only forum sometime. ASR does not allow ball or any other magnetic ammo period. Coalinga does though! If you can make it up to the match in June, I'll buy you a beer! I might even show up a couple days before the match just to camp and play with my little guns. So, if you could make it up then, I'm sure that you could get some great trigger time and, maybe even get some pointers from the likes of Lee R. or other top shooters who may be there days early. Last year, I had the Honor of meeting a couple of early pioneers of BR 50 shooting, Buddy Cliffton and his friend, Fire4effect, on Thursday.

upinflames2400
03-06-2010, 7:21 PM
Have any of you heard about any trials or anything in Cali about 50bmg coming back?

50BMGBOB
03-06-2010, 7:26 PM
Definately get to a match. The best way to learn. Hope to see you in Coalinga.

Jonathan Doe
03-06-2010, 8:06 PM
I have shot McMillan 50 cal rifle with Raufoss rounds with Seal Team 1 guys a while back. Never like the McMillan rifles. I guess their muzzle break was not designed right.

xibunkrlilkidsx
03-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the advice gents. Was trying to find some courses but they're all balls expensive, and I highly doubt I could convince my command to send me to a hard target interdiction course (Yes sir, it increases mission accomplishment)

Now that I think about it, I don't have any pictures of the viper. I'll get some up one of these days, but its an olive drab frame with Badger Ordnance SASR rings with a Premier Heritage 3-15 on top.

CSA, I'm currently a member of FCSA, but rarely had time to even look at the quarterly magazines that come in. Never knew you guys meet at ASR every 3rd sunday, i'll definitely try tomake it out one of these days, as im in Orange County. Do they allow steel core? All i have is two cans of Talon ammo from way back when.

FMJBT, thanks for the offer. Im based out of Camp Pendleton so its not too hard for me to head out to San Diego one of these weekends. To be honest, I havent shot this more than 200 yards (zeroing it in) so i'd be giddy like a school girl to even take it out toa 1000.

well. i will have to try and get a weekend with you to make a run out to my shooting spot in ocotillo. 1000yds easy. and we could probably go further.

CSACANNONEER
03-07-2010, 8:37 AM
I have shot McMillan 50 cal rifle with Raufoss rounds with Seal Team 1 guys a while back. Never like the McMillan rifles. I guess their muzzle break was not designed right.

Most of the top 50 shooters are using custom built rifles on Mc Bro's actions. There are plenty of different MBs out there which will fit a factory McMillian 50. You should venture up to Coalinga this June and give a few custom McMillians a try. BTW, I'd love to see some Raufoss rounds at work. Did you fire anything to compare them with, like APIs?

bruce_ventura
03-07-2010, 8:39 AM
So, it's obvious that you have never shot a 50. First of all, they have less recoil than a standard 12g. So, the recoil or, "kick" as you call it is actually less than most centerfire rifles. As far as shooting distances go, I know many competitive 50 shooter who shoot 1000 yard matches but, practice at their local 100 or 200 yard ranges because, that is the best they have available to them. Quality trigger time at 100 yards is far better than no trigger time at all.

For me shooting a 50 bmg target rifle is like having a big dog bark in your face. I can't single out just one thing about it. It's a unique experience - the bark, hot breath, big push, and my instincts all tell me that a cheek weld on that gun when it goes off is an unnatural place to be.

upinflames2400
03-07-2010, 9:48 AM
For me shooting a 50 bmg target rifle is like having a big dog bark in your face. I can't single out just one thing about it. It's a unique experience - the bark, hot breath, big push, and my instincts all tell me that a cheek weld on that gun when it goes off is an unnatural place to be.

haha well put :King:

CSACANNONEER
03-07-2010, 10:46 AM

I know a few people who don't even look through their optics when they pull the trigger. Their head is no where near their stock. IIRC, it's called "free recoil" shooting. Yes, these people are very good shooters who have set many records over the years. I just can't trust myself enough to try it but Bruce, I can show you what I'm talking about if you're interested.

bomb_on_bus
03-07-2010, 2:17 PM
FCSA!

I get letters from them about what is going on with the 2ndA and the .50bmg etc.

It would be worth it at least to check them out. I think they still have that rifle give away including a windrunner .50/510dtc if in CA.