PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Residency, 4 consecutive months of utility bill?

Ultimate
03-05-2010, 6:34 PM
Hey gun gurus, I went to buy a lower today at an FFL nearby but they told me that because I was a legal Perm Resident and not yet citizen I needed to have 4 consecutive months of a land based utility bill. Also that car and motorcycle registrations don't work for me because of that. I use autopay on the cable bill so I have been tossing some lol. Now I don't have 4 consecutive ones lol.

Is that correct or did I just get choked around?

Thanks guys.

Cokebottle
03-05-2010, 6:39 PM
Find a different dealer. This one is FOS.

huck
03-05-2010, 6:52 PM
Find a knowledgeable dealer. When you are not a citizen, things get kind of weird.

I KNOW this for sure, but I can't explain the details: You need a hunting license to buy a gun.

Ducman
03-05-2010, 6:54 PM
if you are paying auto pay, you can print out your statement and those copies should work.

Hateca
03-05-2010, 6:57 PM
Read this, it will answer your guestion. This is a Federal law and has nothing to do with the state.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2008-11.pdf

Cokebottle
03-05-2010, 7:05 PM
Find a knowledgeable dealer. When you are not a citizen, things get kind of weird.

I KNOW this for sure, but I can't explain the details: You need a hunting license to buy a gun.
I believe that only applies to nonimmigrant aliens (IE, foreigner vacationing in the US).

But the ATF does require three months of proof of residence.

Ultimate
03-05-2010, 7:12 PM
if you are paying auto pay, you can print out your statement and those copies should work.

LOL I tried that too they said that because Brighthouse(my cable provider) doesn't print a logo on them they couldn't accept them.

That info posted by Hateca though shows I could have used my bank statements. They didn't even suggest that lol, bastards.

thetaxman
03-05-2010, 7:16 PM
You need a hunting license to buy a gun.

Only if you are a non-immigrant alien. Permenent residents are not required to have one so OP is good to go and just needs bills + usual ID.

elrcastor
03-05-2010, 7:34 PM
do you have PG&E or SCE bills? or mabey ATT landline?

dachan
03-05-2010, 7:35 PM
Find a different dealer. This one is FOS.

No, this dealer is correct. Since 1997, a permanent resident may acquire firearms only if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is residing in that State and has resided in a State continuously for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to prove both his identity, by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses. Since a continuous 90-day period must be shown, most dealers require 3 months of the same document; your dealer may be asking for 4 months to ensure 90-days coverage. And car registration will not work because it only proves residency at the time the document was issued.

Cokebottle
03-05-2010, 7:42 PM
Since a continuous 90-day period must be shown, most dealers require 3 months of the same document; your dealer may be asking for 4 months to ensure 90-days coverage. And car registration will not work because it only proves residency at the time the document was issued.
How do 3 statements not cover 90 days as long as the oldest statement is not a partial (and if it is, it will indicate the service start date)?

I stand by my statement... Yes, it's the FFL's business and he can run it anyway he likes, but the law says 90 days, not 120.

dachan
03-05-2010, 8:03 PM
How do 3 statements not cover 90 days

Feb, Mar, Apr on non-leap year years.

Yes, it's the FFL's business and he can run it anyway he likes.

Yep, Fed law says 90days, but FFL's like to cover their butt.

http://www.2ndamendmentsports.com/dros-paperwork.php

Cokebottle
03-05-2010, 9:00 PM
Feb, Mar, Apr on non-leap year years.
And if the customer doesn't go into the store on the day the bill came?
Feb 28
Mar 31
April 30
89... if the latest bill is more than 2 days old, it's 90 days.

bigthaiboy
03-05-2010, 9:22 PM
A permanent resident requires 90 days of bills (showing your name and address) for long gun and handgun purchases, which means the last 3 bills is sufficient. Ask me how I know this.

I use my SoCal Edison bill which I print off online every month and put into a folder ready for any gun purchases I may need to do at a moment's notice. ;)

Asking for 4 bills is just the gun shop employee being anally retentive, because they are counting the actual days on a calender. It has happened to me once, but since I keep all my previous bills in a folder, I had it on hand, and I didn't make an issue of it. Same guy also wanted me to bring a lockable container on pick-up, to carry the handgun from the shop to the trunk of my car, and said that if I didn't bring a lockable container, they would make me buy a hard case and a padlock off them before they would release the firearm to me. All of which is complete nonsense.

Cokebottle
03-05-2010, 9:50 PM
Same guy also wanted me to bring a lockable container on pick-up, to carry the handgun from the shop to the trunk of my car, and said that if I didn't bring a lockable container, they would make me buy a hard case and a padlock off them before they would release the firearm to me. All of which is complete nonsense.
Even though there is an exception for bringing a newly purchased gun home from the range (directly home, no stops at Starbucks on the way), it is the smart thing to do, and I always do it, even when buying a stripped lower.

12026 lists some exemptions to 12025, but there are no such exemptions to 626.9, so if the gun shop happens to be within 1000ft of a school, it may very well be a potentially legal requirement to have the gun locked up when you exit the store.

The reason that I say "potentially legal requirement" is because 626.9 does have exemptions for a business, residence, or private property, which SHOULD include the parking lot.
Ask Theseus how that works out in LA County.