PDA

View Full Version : Have a broken shell/bullet stuck in the barrel. Need Help!

tools2teach
03-05-2010, 6:28 PM
I advise on how to get what appears to be a bullet stuck in inside my Noveske barrel. Can someone who has the tools that is local in Orange County help me with this?

evollep3
03-05-2010, 6:30 PM
wow have you been cleaning? did the Barrel bubble in that spot?

C.G.
03-05-2010, 6:32 PM
More detail, please. Squib?

69Mach1
03-05-2010, 6:33 PM
You have both a piece of the casing stuck in the chamber, and a bullet lodged somewhere in the barrel?

tools2teach
03-05-2010, 6:33 PM
No bubbles, thank goodness, Cleaned as can be and lubed up. It's in there pretty good. Went to home depot to get a metal re bar and a wooden dowl, unfortunately, I couldn't find one that fit inside the barrel.

tools2teach
03-05-2010, 6:35 PM
It was one of my reloads, so I'm guessing it was a squib. Flashed a light down the barrel and I can see a bullet, but I couldn't see the case, bullet expanded. It about 2 inches in the barrel where the crown is at.

tools2teach
03-05-2010, 6:36 PM
Also used a shell extractor, which was useless.

evollep3
03-05-2010, 6:36 PM
becareful there was a guy that had something simular at ARF and the barrel split like a pea

C.G.
03-05-2010, 6:41 PM
If you did not fire a second round a wooden dowel should do the trick by tapping it. I would not use a metal rod as it might score the barrel. If you did fire a second round most likely your barrel is toast, but AR15 barrels might chime in for that.

69Mach1
03-05-2010, 6:43 PM
Where the heck is he going to find a wooden dowel the size of the bore that's strong enough to push out a bullet? Good luck with that. Maybe Randall can help.

C.G.
03-05-2010, 6:45 PM
Where the heck is he going to find a wooden dowel the size of the bore that's strong enough to push out a bullet? Good luck with that. Maybe Randall can help.

If it was a squib it should not require much force for the bullet; the thing that puzzles me is the stuck case. Exact info how it happened would be nice.

tools2teach
03-05-2010, 6:48 PM
I don't know if I have a stuck case or not, when I shine the flash light through, all I see is a mutilated bullet.

Noah3683
03-05-2010, 6:49 PM
Why not just use a cleaning rod? that's how I got out a jam in my DD

tools2teach
03-05-2010, 6:51 PM
Tried a cleaning rod already, would budge, actually bent the hell at out the rod.

C.G.
03-05-2010, 6:53 PM
Tried a cleaning rod already, would budge, actually bent the hell at out the rod.

Sounds like it is time to take it to Randall. Did you try to push it out or tap it out?

evollep3
i say buy a new barrel

ocabj
Use a dowel rod. Cut it in several segments, a few inches long each. Now put them down the barrel and use a mallet to tap it out.

Noah3683
03-05-2010, 6:54 PM

Umm holy s**t! I would be hitting up a gunsmith pronto. If it's jammed that bad you're just asking for trouble trying to bust it out yourself.

tools2teach
03-05-2010, 7:00 PM
I forgot I had a AR cleaning rod that was sturdy enough to get it out. It was a bullet. Thanks to Noah who suggested the cleaning rod. A light bulb went off in my head and realized that I had a thick enough rod that would do the trick. Thanks to all who contributed. I guess I just have to get a new Dewey rod, but who cares.....$40 compared to $400-500 barrel. Happy as a clam

evollep3
03-05-2010, 7:03 PM
post a pic of the bullet if you can. and make sure that theres nothing else in there like little pieces of it or anything bro dont want it to do it twice

tools2teach
03-05-2010, 7:11 PM
I'm afraid to shoot my reloads now. This could have blown up if the bullet was seated towards the end of the barrel and a chambered round inside.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww304/tools2teach/P1010758.jpg

Swift Justice
03-05-2010, 7:37 PM
That's why I don't reload anymore. Same thing happend to me but with a 9mm Glock. One of my reloads was a squib round that pushed the bullet down the barrel and stovepiped the case. I cleared the stovepipe and the next round would not chamber fully, which caused me to stop and try to figure out why, leading to the discovery of the squib. If the round had gone farther down the barrel and the next round had fully chambered it would have been Kaboom for sure. Gave my progressive loader to my brother and have shot nothing but factory ever since.

The money I would save reloading ammo is not worth my fingers or hand.

Noah3683
03-05-2010, 8:36 PM
Make sure you check that barrel for any hidden damage as best as you can. For your own safety

tools2teach
03-05-2010, 8:38 PM
Yeah, checked with a flash light and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the barrel.

Noah3683
03-05-2010, 8:48 PM
Yeah, checked with a flash light and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the barrel.

Good to hear. hope she still runs like a top

Josh3239
03-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Imagine if it wasn't a Glock but it was an AR. Imagine if you hadn't re-charged the weapon and instead just beat on the forward assist. That is why I don't like those things. If your gun isn't chambering there is a problem and your gun is trying to tell you that. It would be a pain in the *** if a gun locked up on you in a self defense situation and you had to drop the mag and re-cycle the slide/BCG, it be even worse if you forced it forward and KB'd your self defense weapon.

That's why I don't reload anymore. Same thing happend to me but with a 9mm Glock. One of my reloads was a squib round that pushed the bullet down the barrel and stovepiped the case. I cleared the stovepipe and the next round would not chamber fully, which caused me to stop and try to figure out why, leading to the discovery of the squib. If the round had gone farther down the barrel and the next round had fully chambered it would have been Kaboom for sure. Gave my progressive loader to my brother and have shot nothing but factory ever since.

The money I would save reloading ammo is not worth my fingers or hand.