PDA

View Full Version : Compact rifles

SVPRApps
03-05-2010, 8:10 AM
Anyone here have any compact rifle setups? I wanna see some pics

I'm not sure if compact can be limited to just the AR family of rifles. collapsible/telescopic stocks and such.

Are there any other compact rifles on the market worth looking at?

I've been through "big" guns already in the past and they're just too cumbersome and not really at all practical if you're going to be using these guns one day to save your life.

Something like this kind of AR looks awesome, just very simple, small and i say again simple (i've got the AR bug now)
http://consumermaven.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/ar-15-field-stripped.jpg

aplinker
03-05-2010, 9:02 AM
We can't have true compact rifles in CA as we can't go under 30"OAL or 16" barrel.

The AR is actually a poor choice for a compact rifle, as it needs a buffer tube

This is a compact AR:
http://estore.websitepros.com/stores/1891705/catalog/TRM7A1Kit.gif

This is airsoft version of G36c that, with its folding stock, is much more compact:
http://airsoft-bg.com/images/jg_g36c.jpg

Hyper
03-05-2010, 9:12 AM
SU-16CA, or Bushmaster Carbon 15, both are very light weight .223s, and as compact as this type of rifle can be here in CA. I have owned both (and still have Bush), and they are nice quality, easy to carry, reliable and quite accurate 2-3 MOA @ 100 yrds. The Bush's top loader model is widely available here in CA, and the price tag is not bad. If you want to modify it to take mags, you can dremel/cut the sealed magwell out, and attach the bullet button on it... However, for home defense I would recommend either a handgund (9mm & up), or pump/semi shotgun.

SVPRApps
03-05-2010, 9:26 AM
SU-16CA, or Bushmaster Carbon 15, both are very light weight .223s, and as compact as this type of rifle can be here in CA. I have owned both (and still have Bush), and they are nice quality, easy to carry, reliable and quite accurate 2-3 MOA @ 100 yrds. The Bush's top loader model is widely available here in CA, and the price tag is not bad. If you want to modify it to take mags, you can dremel/cut the sealed magwell out, and attach the bullet button on it... However, for home defense I would recommend either a handgund (9mm & up), or pump/semi shotgun.

Yeah I agree with you. I'm more partial to handguns after shooting/handling some, I'm gonna have to go with the shotgun/handgun combo, the rifles were fun for a while but not entirely practical

skkeeter
03-05-2010, 9:41 AM
An AR pistol is the closest thing for obvious reasons.

Black Majik
03-05-2010, 9:49 AM
How about an AR pistol, SIG P556, or AK pistol?

Also, not semi-auto, but I find the CZ 527 carbines very interesting.

SVPRApps
03-05-2010, 8:08 PM
How about an AR pistol, SIG P556, or AK pistol?

Also, not semi-auto, but I find the CZ 527 carbines very interesting.

oh yeah, the sig556s pistols and ar pistols can qualify as compact weapons. though the AR pistols seem a bit awkward with the buffer tubes.

hmm another comes to mind is the MP5 as extreme compact. probably the "best" in my opinion. though that fires the 9mm, probably not qualify as a rifle cartridge but all in the same, it can stop a person provided proper shot placement, and another plus you can combine the ammo with your handgun if its the same caliber.
http://www.paladinarmory.com/Photos%20for%20PA%20website/MP5.jpg

ChrisTKHarris
03-05-2010, 8:18 PM
AR Pistol :woot:

ChrisO
03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Well to bad if you have a MP5 here you might as well have a ar15 because they have to meet the same OAL requirements. The CZ's in 7.62x39 seem very promising for a small handy rifle. A 12 guage works wonders as well.

AK4me
03-05-2010, 10:11 PM
AR and AK pistol, Im in the process of building both:chris:

SVPRApps
03-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Well to bad if you have a MP5 here you might as well have a ar15 because they have to meet the same OAL requirements. The CZ's in 7.62x39 seem very promising for a small handy rifle. A 12 guage works wonders as well.

ahh i was only referring to rifles because a compact shotgun would be very hard to control under sustained fire. i personally would need the full shouldered stock if i had to shoot a shotgun under any other situation

with lower caliber rifles though it could be possible to get an AR pistol or MP5, beretta cx4 storm. the recoil and control would be manageable

FMJBT
03-05-2010, 11:21 PM
HK-51K PDW :D

W2nnnPwriTE