PDA

View Full Version : Locating the inside rails on a Romy build

hk404me
03-05-2010, 6:52 AM
OK AK Junkies,

I am at the point where I need to install the rails on the inside of the receiver on a Romy build. I tried the “Search” and came up with “Picante Rails” and aluminum rails, but nothing on the best/easiest way to get the correct dimension for locating the rails in the receiver on an “AK style” build. I am sure that this subject has been addressed before, but I’ll be darned if I could find anything. From what I gather, one side is slightly higher than the other. When I measured the old rails from the parts kit it was 0.2312 and 0.2310 (but don’t remember which side is which, my bad). Can I make both side 0.2311 and call it a day?

I do have the spot welder and a bunch of 6/32” machine screws/bolts (?), if that helps.

I would like to go to the BP in Canyon Country, but will be unable to attend. I am sure that the experts there could answer this simple question.

Thank you in advance for your help and please be kind, this is my first AK style build and would like to get it right the first time for a change.

Hk404me
(HK 40 [S&W] for me)

nicoroshi
03-05-2010, 6:59 AM
The way I set mine on all my pressed receiver builds was to use a drill bit to space the interior rail off of the top rail of the receiver so that the top of the interior rail lines up with the rail extension of the front trunnion.
Exact measurement off of the top rail isn't what's important. Lining up with the rail extension of the front trunnion is.

Like this:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5344/dscn2727.jpg
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9558/dscn2729.jpg

Have fun building,
Nico

hk404me
03-05-2010, 7:23 AM
Hey nicoroshi,

Thank you very much for the pictures and the details. That is a big help! I do have one question; Was I suppose to leave the barrel in the trunion??? I should be able to take the dimensions with the front trunion in the receiver without the barrel installed right?

I think that was 2 (two) questions.

Thank you for that help.

I can now grind the moles off a fly at 3 feet.

Hk404me

nicoroshi
03-05-2010, 8:19 AM
Doesn't matter if the barrel is in the trunnion or not to line up the rails since the interior rail extensions on the front trunnion are visible either way.
I normally install my interior rails after I have mounted the front trunnion but before I press the barrel back in.

Again let me say that "taking dimensions" isn't really needed. What you want is for the top of the interior rail to line up with the top of the rail extensions of the front trunnion, and for the interior rails to be parallel to the top rail.