PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Revolvers

SIP2000GLO
03-05-2010, 2:26 AM
I'm thinking about getting a Taurus snubby. Either the 605 or the 617. Anyone have either one of these? How's the fit and finnish? Is it accurate? Does it seem durable?

I already have Rugers and S&Ws.

gotgunz
03-05-2010, 2:32 AM
I have a 605 that I carry quite often.... finish seems pretty durable and for the money they are hard to beat.

SIP2000GLO
03-05-2010, 2:59 AM
How would you rate it with a Ruger SP101? Would it be able to take as much beating as a Ruger? What about a steady diet of magnums?

jbolton
03-05-2010, 10:39 AM
I have the 605. I bought it for my wife but its one of my favorite carry guns. Snubby, and accurate. Great gun, and under 400 otd.

tpuig
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
No problems whatsoever with my 25 year old Model 85...

yzernie
03-05-2010, 11:48 AM
A Couple years ago Taurus' quality control was very suspect. They have steppedup their game pretty well the last couple years and produce a good product for an economical price. Durability ofthe Taurus is fine. I sell a lot of the Taurus 2" revolvers to LEOs and have never heard any complaints.

SCMA-1
03-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I currently have 3 Taurus revolvers in my inventory. The are all older than 15 years and all have served me well. I find that Taurus handguns in general are well designed, reliable and durable firearms.

gotgunz
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
How would you rate it with a Ruger SP101? Would it be able to take as much beating as a Ruger? What about a steady diet of magnums?

I would not rate it as good as the Ruger based on the fact that Rugers are built like tanks.

But again, for the money (mine was $299.99 @ Sportsmans warehouse) you really can't go wrong. They are, as I can tell, a copy of S&W's. The Ruger will digest mag loads forever, I am not sure the Taurus would do the same but again it is a $300 gun.

I can tell you that Federal Hydro-shoks at sunset are pretty impressive out of the 605 :D

SIP2000GLO
03-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks gentlemen for the input. It seems like most prefer the 605 over the 617. Besides being easier to conceal than the 617, does the track record of the 605 better than the 617?

Maddog5150
03-06-2010, 1:02 AM
Taurus quality is very hit and miss. I've seen some broken out of the box and have had many customers bring thiers back for repair. I have had one personally cause my face to bleed for going off timing after just two shooting sessions. I hate that brand with a passion now.

roadwarrior1971
03-06-2010, 8:24 AM
beware, I bought one taurus and it was CRAP, it shot only 100 rds or so and won't rotate anymore. Traded it. Maybe a hit or miss thing but I will not take chance of taurus again, either S&W or Ruger will be my choice. Furthermore, get a time-tested S&W older model that is pre-internal lock when you can. It is being said even new production S&W quality is suspect now.

scout II
03-06-2010, 8:44 AM
I own 5 different Taurus revolvers,2 of which are over 20 years old and 2 that I bought within the last 5 years,and the other one somewhere in the middle time frame.I have had no problems with them except shooting heavy loads in my 41 mag Tracker.I now handload light loads for it and have no problems.It does shoot factory ammo fine I should say.Taurus revolvers are great guns at a great price.Good luck with what ever one you choose.;)

SIP2000GLO
03-06-2010, 1:43 PM
For the snubby owners. What's the round count on the Taurus 605 or 617 that you own?

gotgunz
03-06-2010, 3:08 PM
For the snubby owners. What's the round count on the Taurus 605 or 617 that you own?

My 605 was about 400 rounds of 38 special prior to being added to my ccw (just a personal thing I do with each gun I carry) and about 100 magnums.

Not one single issue so far and I don't foresee any happening.

Be advised that this is not a gun that is a pleasure to shoot 300+ rounds through in an afternoon. It is a carry gun not a target pistol.

Clayface
03-06-2010, 3:11 PM
In response to the last post.

How can it be a carry gun when reliability is out the window?

Argonaut
03-06-2010, 3:23 PM
I have the 605. I bought it for my wife but its one of my favorite carry guns. Snubby, and accurate. Great gun, and under 400 otd.

I have never been able to figure out why anyone would buy an adequate gun to save a few bucks as opposed to spending a few more and having the best. Taurus is probably adequate but why not have a Smith or Colt? The cost difference is minimal. The Ruger would be a notch better as well.

jbolton
03-06-2010, 4:12 PM
I have never been able to figure out why anyone would buy an adequate gun to save a few bucks as opposed to spending a few more and having the best. Taurus is probably adequate but why not have a Smith or Colt? The cost difference is minimal. The Ruger would be a notch better as well.

Buy or shoot the gun, and you will understand. I didn't buy it to save a couple bucks. I bought it because it's a great gun and just happened to be under 400 bucks.

gotgunz
03-10-2010, 10:00 PM
In response to the last post.

How can it be a carry gun when reliability is out the window?

Been out of town on business so late to respond...

I didn't say it wasn't reliable; I said it wasn't pleasurable to shoot. There is a big difference but regardless of the brand a 2" 357 mag is not something you take out and shoot hundreds of rounds through on an afternoon without it being a bit punishing to the hand.

Mine is certainly a carry gun (that I wont freak out over if I scratch it) and it is reliable (or I wouldn't carry it :rolleyes:).

RedFord150
03-11-2010, 1:19 PM
I bought a Taurus .38 snubby back in 1994. Cylinder locked shut and had to be returned to Taurus after 2 local gunsmiths could not get it to open. I sent it back to Taurus and it was repaired. Taurus would never take my calls, return a message, or explain the failure. I had fired only mild .38 loads in it the whole time owned it. The failure happened around 2001. The round count was probably 500 to 600.
I sold it to a dealer after the repair. I have no interest in ever buying another. Too many good guns on the market to waste my time on junk.