PDA

View Full Version : is this a grip?

Mstrty
03-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Does Ca have a definition of a forward grip?
Is it on the fence. or Legal/Illegal?

Edit: on a featureless rifle

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48049&stc=1&d=1267775799

sfguyhere
03-05-2010, 12:04 AM
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

ETC... doesn't really look like a foward grip if it stays that way, but the good question is if it's on an "AW"... other wise it doesn't really matter?

I like the attachment though!

Farva
03-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Unless you want to use that on a featureless build, the BB would cover its legality.

But On a featureless build, myself personally wouldnt use anything that could even be considered a VFG just to be on the safe side.

pTa
03-05-2010, 12:08 AM
doesn't look like a pistol grip top me (you cant wrap your thumb behind it)

FMJBT
03-05-2010, 12:11 AM
It could definitely be interpreted either way. I wouldn't run it on a featurless build or pistol just to be safe. I do like the design though, seems much more useable and ergonomic than the AFG from Magpul.

killshot44
03-05-2010, 12:17 AM
In addition to a grip it is a Tactical Ice-Scraper™. I assume the QD lever is on the other side.

When neccessary, the TIS™ can also be used as a Tactical Doorstop™.

You should order quickly as I understand MagPul is filing a cease and desist order very soon. :rolleyes:

And I wouldn't use it on a featureless AR.

pacrimguru
03-05-2010, 12:18 AM
to answer your question, i wouldn't risk it on a featureless build. on a maglock build it doesn't matter. in any case, i think its ugly and if you're going for a magwell grip, why not just grip the magwell?

Mstrty
03-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Sorry I should of said featureless. Its not a question for BB rifles. I see no definition of a grip. so mounted to the rear I dont see the issue. Just wanting other opinions.

Chk Chk Boom
03-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Thumb can't wrap around, therefore not a pistol grip. So by the wording of the law, no it is not illegal. This doesn't mean they won't try to dick you around a little bit, though.

Fate
03-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Thumb can't wrap around, therefore not a pistol grip. So by the wording of the law, no it is not illegal. This doesn't mean they won't try to dick you around a little bit, though.

That works until the DA puts in a 10 round mag that's flush with the bottom of the magwell. Then you CAN wrap your thumb around it. Featureless no go.

Jicko
03-05-2010, 12:39 AM

Not a good advice....

1) remove the magazine, your thumb can totally wrap around it.

2) it can be mounted a couple notch forward, and in that position, you can totally use it like a pistol grip.... so, that item itself IS a forward pistol grip.... and you are mounting that "forward pistol grip" onto a rifle

johnrunner89
03-05-2010, 1:01 AM
That works until the DA puts in a 10 round mag that's flush with the bottom of the magwell. Then you CAN wrap your thumb around it. Featureless no go.

I was gunna say the same thing.

03-05-2010, 1:34 AM

Ding..ding..ding..ding.... ;)