PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA

jcan
03-04-2010, 4:25 PM
Hello,

I will be moving to California from the midwest and plan on bringing a few pistols with me. I searched the AG site to verify that the pistols were in fact CA legal. It is my understanding that I will be required to register the firearms within 60 days of my move. I have an out of state CHL, which I understand is null and void here, but are there any other steps I should be taking to stay on the right side of the law? Is a HSC necessary to register my firearms? If anyone could point in the right direction with links or sources for good information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks ahead of time, and does anyone recommend a good range in the socal/LA area?

Justin

Flogger23m
03-04-2010, 4:27 PM
Can't help you with your issues, but buy a few off list pistols before you get here.

The HK45 and XDM are popular. If you end up not liking them, you can sell them here for a bit of a profit.

Scratch705
03-04-2010, 4:31 PM
3 biggest outdoor ranges in the LA/Socal area is the Angeles Shooting range, Burro Canyon, and Lytle Creek.

if you can spare the cash, buy up some off-roster handguns "to test out", and sell it "if you are unhappy with them" once in state. you will get a good return on your money depending on model/popularity, and allow some cal-gunners to get their hands on handguns deemed "unsafe" by CA politicians.

btw if you have any magazines over 10 rounds, disassemble them before coming in state, since you can't bring them. but you can reassemble them once they are modified to only hold 10 rounds, or keep them disassembled until you travel out of state to shoot.

cwiz
03-04-2010, 4:36 PM
ya its a pain moving here from the mid west, i did 2 years ago. I just had a shotty which u dont have to register. good luck with your move.

CornFedWB
03-04-2010, 4:37 PM
I'm sorry to see that. Have fun in your current state while you have the chance.

jcan
03-04-2010, 4:39 PM
Thanks, but I'm not planning on buying any new pistols. Just bringing in a few that I legally can. As far as mag capacity, that's a non-issue since my 1911s only hold 7 and 8. I don't plan on selling any firearms either. I'm just looking for some good sources to research before I make the move.

Thanks again.

retired
03-04-2010, 4:39 PM
The HSC is necessary to possess handguns in this state unless you fall under one of the exemptions. Here is the link to the Ca. firearm requirements/laws

You, know, there is still time to turn back, right.:D

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

Welcome to Calguns. This place is a wealth of knowledge and good people!

jcan
03-04-2010, 4:43 PM
LOL, thanks for the source.. It's good to see so many people enthusiastic about their home state!

jcan
03-04-2010, 4:46 PM
Also, Scratch:

Would you recommend just speaking with one of the aforementioned FFLs to find out what hoops I'm going to have to jump through? If so, which? Not all FFLs are created equal in my experiences.

retired
03-04-2010, 5:06 PM
LOL, thanks for the source.. It's good to see so many people enthusiastic about their home state!

Not my home state.;) I was born in Ill. (hey I moved out when I was 2, so don't blame me:D)

coq
03-04-2010, 5:14 PM
Welcome to CA. If you want more info regarding CCW (CHL), visit CALCCW.com (http://www.calccw.com).

Librarian
03-04-2010, 6:13 PM
The HSC is necessary to possess handguns in this state unless you fall under one of the exemptions. Here is the link to the Ca. firearm requirements/laws

You, know, there is still time to turn back, right.:D

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

Welcome to Calguns. This place is a wealth of knowledge and good people!

... And the occasional slipup - the HSC is required for a person to receive a handgun in a transfer - it is not a requirement for possession.

You may bring in almost any handgun - the Roster does not apply to moving here - with the exception, generally, of handguns with threaded barrels or forward handgrips, and the Taurus Judge, which California thinks is a short-barreled shotgun.

Barkoff
03-04-2010, 6:15 PM
Millions of people have moved to CA over the years, we only question your sense of timing. ;)

cwiz
03-05-2010, 10:09 AM
There are alot of imports here, i'm guessing. i'm of the Ohio variety personally

Scratch705
03-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Also, Scratch:

Would you recommend just speaking with one of the aforementioned FFLs to find out what hoops I'm going to have to jump through? If so, which? Not all FFLs are created equal in my experiences.

kinda surprised you asked me this... since i'm still a big noob about gun laws/stuff :o , but i would think calling a FFL in this state, and near where you will live would be a good idea? if you gave a more specific city/county than LA i am sure others here will gladly help in locating a good FFL near you.

but i'm sure more experienced cal-gunners will give you the help you may/will need.

Rekrab
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
If we knew what city you were moving to we could certainly let you know which FFLs are worth checking out for information. There's some good ones, and some not-so-good ones.

I think everyone here has pretty much got you covered. As long as it's not a CA-defined assault weapon (threaded barrel/foregrip) you're pretty safe. Register them within 60 days, get your HSC if you want to BUY any more guns.

Swift Justice
03-05-2010, 1:29 PM
If I lived out of state and had a lot of stripped AR pistol marked lowers, and I moved to California and then decided I didn't want them anymore, I'm sure I could double my money on PPT transfers...