PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 adjustable gas system

A1BigTuna
03-04-2010, 3:23 PM
Has any one tried the adjustable gas port bushing for a Mini-14? The product info. says the action can be controlled to restrict the ejecting cases from 15 feet to 10 or even 5 feet just by a screw adjustment. Even to make the rifle a single shot! I am wondering if anyone out there knows the dimension of a gas port that will allow a 5 foot cast throw, and if this makes the action more able to fail? Any thoughts?

762cavalier
03-04-2010, 4:27 PM
Are you talking about the different size bushings available out there or are you talking about ASI's adjustable gas block. If the bushings then you find the ammo you like to use then adjust the bushing size down till it ejects where you want it. Not a perfect science and if you change ammo you may or may not have cycling issues.
I have the ASI adjustable gas block on a custom Mini in 6.5 grendel. I can dial the gas block to where I want it and If I use other ammo I can adjust for that if it is not cycling the way I want it to.

A1BigTuna
03-04-2010, 5:43 PM
I was talking about the adjustable one. Am wondering if the screw that reduces the gas flow, will be reduced/damaged with hot gasses pouring over it and making it hard to adjust or remove. If the screw can not be removed can the thing be taken off and then worked on just the block by itself? Also, do you have any experience with a longer recoil spring also reducing the rod impacting forces? Was wondering if having both on at the same time would reduce the reliability of the gun? Thanks

cjskalka
03-04-2010, 6:24 PM
I've got one in my mini 30 and really like it, the screw can get a little fouled but nothing that some hoppes couldn't take care of. Its just a simple machine screw so if it had to be replaced you could get one at a hardware store. I don't find myself adjusting it often.

Sheepdog1968
03-04-2010, 6:44 PM
I'm happy with the stock gas system. So it shoots the brass far away. Who cares? I've always thought of that as a good thing. The again, outside of sights, I tend not to fool with the other parts of guns. My friends that do seem to have more problems.

hawk81
03-04-2010, 7:40 PM
I use several standard mini 14. Mine eat all of the .223 ammo fine.