PDA

View Full Version : Sig p226 questions

nickarino
03-04-2010, 2:56 PM
I want one bad, and in doing some research, I have some questions:

1) Apparently pre-1996 slides were stamped as opposed to the current milled slide. Is one better than the other?

2) I have heard that the quality of the older, 100% German manufactured pistols are better than the newer ones with components from New Hampshire. Is this true?

3) As far as the DOJ roster goes, are all standard 226's good to go, regardless if they are older models that were imported and/or with the Virginia markings?- Still wondering if anyone knows about this one

I guess all these questions stem from the fact that I have been looking for a good used one at an affordable price. Many that I have found are early 90's manufacture. If it is in sound mechanical shape, will I join the ranks of happy Sig owners? Thanks for the help

cwiz
03-04-2010, 3:34 PM
1) I think they switched to milling so it can handle the .40 and .357 sig as well as the 9mm. that doesnt ness mean that its better or worse considering the stamped was designed for a 9mm and thats what its shooting... but milling will give you a stronger and usually more precise piece of metal

base64
03-04-2010, 3:42 PM
I have a p226r 9mm and it's really a good, comfortable pistol but I'd suggest shooting one if you haven't before. Purchased brand new a year ago, and wasn't hard to find.

Plus, Jack Bauer carries one :D

gorenut
03-04-2010, 4:14 PM
I have a new one and it shoots perfectly. Then again, mine is full Stainless. Even still, everyone else I know has no problems with theirs. I say just look for one you really like and try to find it at a good price. Even if you get a lemon, Sig will fix/replace it.

trickyvic
03-04-2010, 6:04 PM
I'd buy the stamped slide over a new one. My '89 SIG my favorite pistol and the one I'll never get rid of. It has never malfunctioned, I've fired thousands of rounds without cleaning it and as long as it was properly lubed it kept ticking.

NewbieDave
03-04-2010, 6:26 PM
You can't go wrong with either a stamped or milled slide. Both made to Sig's original 226 spec. The main reason you see lot more stamped 226 out there is because of LEO trade-in... Sigs and Beretta were big on the 9mm bandwagon back in the 90s, and got a lot of LEO to trade in there 6 shooters for their 9s. In recent times, LEOs been trading in their 9s for 40s... flooding the market with used 226 (non-rail).

As stated above, the milled slide was designed to shoot higher power rounds (40 & 45)... Sig didn't want to support a plant that run both milling and stamping machine. So that's why everything coming out of the NH plant is milled. Last time I checked, Sig-Europe is still making stamped 226.

As for most of the used 226 on the market... I've handled several, all solid example with good barrels. Finish is not that pretty... but everything else was clean. Get it cheap, shoot the crap out of the barrel... replace with a aftermarket one and get it refinish, and you got yourself a solid pistol for another 10+ years :D

It may make no difference to you... but the stamped 226 was what Sig gave to the US Army for JSSAP trial for the US joint armed forces pistol back in the 80s... to replace the 1911. Only reason the 226 didn't make the final cut was because Beretta was selling it cheaper.

~dpc

ChrisTKHarris
03-04-2010, 6:29 PM
I have a p226r 9mm and it's really a good, comfortable pistol but I'd suggest shooting one if you haven't before. Purchased brand new a year ago, and wasn't hard to find.

Plus, Jack Bauer carries one :D

Jack usually carries an HK USP .45 doesn't he?

thefurball
03-04-2010, 6:31 PM
I have two, one 80s vintage purchased new and one late 90s that was an agency trade in.

Both function flawlessly.

9mmepiphany
03-04-2010, 6:51 PM
the folded slide models are built in Germany, the milled slide models are produced domestically. i prefer the folded slide for the different...not better...balance, but then i'm a big 9mm shooter. i also have a milled slide 226, but that's because they didn't make 226STs(stainless frames) with folded slides.

i think the stainless slide milled models are the only 226 still on the list

slik556
03-04-2010, 7:01 PM
the folded slide models are built in Germany, the milled slide models are produced domestically. i prefer the folded slide for the different...not better...balance, but then i'm a big 9mm shooter. i also have a milled slide 226, but that's because they didn't make 226STs(stainless frames) with folded slides.

i think the stainless slide milled models are the only 226 still on the list

Yes this is true.. If a folded slide is what you want you will have to do it through a PPT as a P226 Steel/alloy is not on the list... Aint Kali wonderful:D.

fifthward
03-04-2010, 8:48 PM
I have a milled slide 226R in .40
Sweet shooter, accuracy improved when i switched from XD...9!

That alone says alot about the gun, and a full size 226 shooting the 40 cartridge.

no complaints here!

ledman
03-04-2010, 9:33 PM
Jack usually carries an HK USP .45 doesn't he?

You see him carrying a two tone Sig 228/229, and yes, recent episodes he uses a HK USP compact 9mm , and has usd a Beretta Px4 .40 and a Glock17 and M4A1 Carbine...this list goes on and on.
I have the DVD's on 5 seasons so far...

Jack with a Sig 229
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ledman/150px-Jack_bin.jpg

Jack with the Beretta Px4 .40
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ledman/Untijack_beretta.jpg

Jack with a silenced Sig 228
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ledman/JackBauer3k.jpg

eric2063
03-04-2010, 9:52 PM
I would second the earlier suggestion that you go out and shoot one before you buy, sometimes you shoot better with one model or brand of weapon than another. Like the gent that has had better luck with the Sig than the XD, some times one is just a better fit than another. And besides it gives you a reason to go shooting, kinda like test driving cars before you buy one.

ditmeus
03-05-2010, 1:50 AM
If you decide to go shoot one before you buy, you can try Firing Line in HB off of Talbert. They have an older non-rail 226 you can shoot.

nickarino
03-08-2010, 7:46 PM
Does the age matter in terms of the dreaded roster as long as it is a p226? Looking at a 1990 manufactured standard, blued finish, 9mm. Would it be good to go?

Evo
03-08-2010, 8:06 PM
The roster has no effect on PPTs, as long as it's not a straw sale. I bought a beautiful 1991 W. German 226 CPO from a member here for $450. It's a great shooter.

nickarino
03-08-2010, 8:34 PM
The roster has no effect on PPTs, as long as it's not a straw sale. I bought a beautiful 1991 W. German 226 CPO from a member here for $450. It's a great shooter.

I was looking at one out of state, so I need to know its roster status. I wish I had seen that deal! I keep my eyes open her all the time, but you never know when one will come up. By the way, what does CPO stand for?

9mmepiphany
03-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I was looking at one out of state, so I need to know its roster status.
the 226s on the roster all have stainless steel slides, if the slide is folded/stamped, its not on the roster

Screehopper
03-09-2010, 8:34 PM
By the way, what does CPO stand for?

CPO = Certified Pre-Owned

ALSystems
03-10-2010, 12:43 AM
There was a lot of good info on Sigs on this previous thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=249614

Miltiades
03-10-2010, 8:16 AM
3) As far as the DOJ roster goes, are all standard 226's good to go, regardless if they are older models that were imported and/or with the Virginia markings?- Still wondering if anyone knows about this one

I just looked at the DOJ roster and it lists 25 different Sig P226 models. Every one of them indicates "stainless" construction. Since the older folded slide models were not stainless but carbon steel, I would say that the older P226s are not on the roster and could not be imported into the state by ordinary folks using an FFL. You'd have to talk to your FFL to make sure what he would be willing to do, of course.

Here is my 1991 vintage P226, made in Germany and given an electroless nickel finish by Sig. I bought it in the 1990s and it came with the dreaded 15 round magazine. It is a good shooter.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/SigP22620-2.jpg