PDA

View Full Version : 3RD party Glock 21 SF barrels

f33dback
03-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I am wondering if any uses a Glock 21 SF, and if so do you use a 3rd party barrel?
I saw a post here stating that as far as the barrel/components the 21sf is identical to the 21 standard.
Can't seem to google this and get any results.

If you do use a 21 sf with a 3rd party barrel who makes it, and what's your opinion on it.

Z ME FLY
03-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Try glocktalk.com

But why are you looking for a 3rd barrel and which one?

f33dback
03-04-2010, 1:31 PM
Well there is talk of shooting lead in Glock factory being a bad thing, but more to the point increased accuracy with aftermarket barrels, and I just got a very quick reply fro KKM saying that the do work =)

SCMA-1
03-04-2010, 1:46 PM
Well there is talk of shooting lead in Glock factory being a bad thing, but more to the point increased accuracy with aftermarket barrels, and I just got a very quick reply fro KKM saying that the do work =)

I've reloaded and shot tens of thousands of lead bullets through my Glocks (all with stock barrels) without issue. Furthermore, I've shot lead, copper plated and jacketed bullets through a KKM barreled Glock 22 and there is no appreciable difference in accuracy. You're better off working on the trigger and the sights to improve the performance of your Glock.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=276045

f33dback
03-04-2010, 1:49 PM
I've reloaded and shot tens of thousands of lead bullets through my Glocks (all with stock barrels) without issue. Furthermore, I've shot lead, copper plated and jacketed bullets through a KKM barreled Glock 22 and there is no appreciable difference in accuracy. You're better off working on the trigger and the sights to improve the performance of your Glock.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=276045

The threads I've seen here suggest cleaning out the barrel every 100 to 200 rounds, does this seem right to you?

SCMA-1
03-04-2010, 1:59 PM
The threads I've seen here suggest cleaning out the barrel every 100 to 200 rounds, does this seem right to you?

Absolutely; but that goes for any barrel. There is no specific round count but just don't let lead buildup in your barrel and especially in the throat which could prevent a round from chambering completely and firing out of battery. Also, you must use GOOD quality lead bullets of superior hardness not only to prevent the buildup of lead in your barrel but also to get decent accuracy with the Glock's polygonal rifling. Look at the link I posted in the other thread; that's where I order my lead bullets from; great prices and VERY hard cast lead. They are every bit as accurate as jacketed bullets.

f33dback
03-04-2010, 3:22 PM
Just for the record I meant cleaning at the range and continuing to shoot, I do clean my gun after every session. =) Don't want anyone thinking i leave em dirty.

SCMA-1
03-04-2010, 3:48 PM
Just for the record I meant cleaning at the range and continuing to shoot, I do clean my gun after every session. =) Don't want anyone thinking i leave em dirty.

That depends on how many rounds you shoot per session and the quality of the bullets you are using in your loads. Use hard cast lead and you shouldn't encounter excessive fouling for many hundreds of rounds. Lots of IPSC/IDPA shooters including myself use lead bullets exclusively and I've never seen anyone having to clean out their barrels during a match.

f33dback
03-04-2010, 6:32 PM
That depends on how many rounds you shoot per session and the quality of the bullets you are using in your loads. Use hard cast lead and you shouldn't encounter excessive fouling for many hundreds of rounds. Lots of IPSC/IDPA shooters including myself use lead bullets exclusively and I've never seen anyone having to clean out their barrels during a match.

So I have to ask what's the benefit to lead instead of FMJ?

SCMA-1
03-04-2010, 6:34 PM
So I have to ask what's the benefit to lead instead of FMJ?

cheaper........a LOT cheaper.

f33dback
03-04-2010, 6:50 PM
Thanks for the info SCMA-1.