PDA

View Full Version : SR9 ACCURACY 1 1/2 inches at 25 Yards.

RugerFan777
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2vNz1lNTCU

This is a video of a grouping I got at 25 yards. This is with the heavy 5lb trigger bench rested. I used cheap Winchester white box crap ammo too.

Ultimate
03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Gotta love the SR9

ZombieTactics
03-04-2010, 12:08 PM
First of all, I am jealous as hell of the OD Green/Black Slide.

Second, I am jealous of the $325 price. I paid $450, and best I've seen is $399.

Third, I subbed to your channel.

Fourth, I can getter better groups, so neener neener. :-)

nn3453
03-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Benched accuracy is fine and also meaningless in practical shooting. When you actually shoot it offhand, the trigger will make it hard to achieve that potential in practice.

I have had C&R rifles with heavy gritty triggers that would shoot well when benched, but getting to do it offhand is beyond the ability of most people.

ZombieTactics
03-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Benched accuracy is fine and also meaningless in practical shooting. When you actually shoot it offhand, the trigger will make it hard to achieve that potential in practice. ...

Agreed, and I guess sort "duhh" ... to many of us anyway. I am really only concerned with "minutes of bad guy" for the most part. I am content to get 2 center-mass and 1 to the noggin' under timed pressure in about 2 seconds or so at that distance, faster as I get closer. I do about the same with an XD or Glock ... I just like my SR9 "bestest of all". I have no beef or problem with anyone who likes something else.

Yep, that's not a "real gunfight" either. A real scenario would likely involve, no warning, more stress, closer distance ... who could possibly count all the variables?

mydogsmonkey
03-04-2010, 3:15 PM
i like the "learning numbers" book you got in the back haha

RugerFan777
03-07-2010, 4:34 PM
First of all, I am jealous as hell of the OD Green/Black Slide.

Second, I am jealous of the $325 price. I paid $450, and best I've seen is $399.

Third, I subbed to your channel.

Fourth, I can getter better groups, so neener neener. :-)

Post results then, I love to see it.

gorenut
03-07-2010, 4:55 PM

It's only fair, right? :)

redhemi
03-07-2010, 5:56 PM
I,ve never bench shot my SR9 but when I do shoot it I usally get 3-4" groups at about 20 yards. I really do enjoy shooting it and so does my daughter (20yrs old). I don,t know if you seen this but if you go here http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/ there is a stickey on how to polish the trigger bar for a much smoother trigger it works good I am now much happier with the trigger :), Redhemi

BamBam-31
03-07-2010, 9:29 PM
Nice shooting!

Question: Can the SR9's trigger be improved?

xibunkrlilkidsx
03-08-2010, 7:42 AM
! i want an OD black one for 399! turners has the black and black but it was 499!~

ZombieTactics
03-08-2010, 8:20 AM
This is something of a loaded question.

The trigger on most new-in-box SR9s is actually pretty good. It has a crisp break and not much take up, with a damned near perfect reset (IMHO). It has a bit heavier pull than a Glock or a Springfield, and this is either "awful" or "whatever" depending upon the individual. I am certain that there are ways to lighten the pull. To some degree, the striker mechanism is a bit "over engineered for reliability", resulting in a palpable "THUNK" feeling when firing. This is not because the break is sloppy or hard, but because the striker really THUNKS. Glocks and Springfields, by comparison have lighter springs, so you don't get this effect ... you either care or you don't.

On the other hand, some dealers like to "sell off of the wall" ... meaning you get the gun on display when you buy one, not a new-in-box one from the back. This is rife with issues. The biggest problem is that many dealers are not careful about making sure that there is an empty magazine inserted for dry-fire, and display guns have been dry-fired over and over by customers. Dry-firing an SR9 without a magazine is a no-no and roughs up the action considerably over time. It results in a heavy, gritty pull that is completely unacceptable. Unfortunately, this is the only experience that some have with the SR9 ... checking one out at the counter and concluding "this trigger is terrible".

If you plan on buying an SR9, make sure you get a NEW one, and check out the trigger by dry-firing (with empty mag inserted) first. You might be pleasantly surprised at how good the trigger really is in the first place.

ZombieTactics
03-08-2010, 8:34 AM

Well, I could certainly post a still photo as "proof, but anyone can fudge that kind of thing.

If you subscribe to my Youtube channel, I plan on posting some reviews of various guns - including the SR9 - where you'll be able to see the rounds hit as I fire. I think that's a better demonstration.

BTW~ I wasn't looking for bragging rights. We all have peaks and valleys, and the group I mentioned would definitely be on my best days, taking my own sweet time. :-)

Beee Ceee
03-08-2010, 9:48 AM
Great stuff. I also saw a video, (I think it was Nutnfancy), and he shoots the SR9 as fast as he could and gotten pretty good results. He tried to simulate how it would go down in a defensive situation. All rounds hit his target. I forgot how far he was shooting but still impressive.

I might have to look into getting one of these...

railroader
03-08-2010, 9:39 PM
Nice shooting!

http://www.ghostblock.com/product/GHO_2105-A-2RRUGER/ROCKET-FOR-RUGER.html New from ghost. Mark
http://www.ghostblock.com/category/ruger_sr__rocket__tactical_and_all_other_connector s_installation_instructions/

Mendo223
07-20-2010, 10:57 AM
wow i suddenly really want an SR9 in OD....that piece is hot

JTROKS
07-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Nice! Can you shoot 15 rounds and see if the group gets bigger?

lazs
07-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't know.. If you never bench the gun then you will never know what accuracy the gun and the ammo are capable of. even from a machine rest some ammo will group twice as big as others.

Now that may be "meaningless" to some but if you get groups double in size from one ammo to another then that will translate to twice as big a groups hand held.

I will concede that a very rough trigger or one with a lot of creep will make things slightly worse but 5 lb is not unmanageable for anyone standing and shooting.

Point being.. if you never check.. you may be shooting ammo that will group 10" standing.. 5" bench when you could be shooting ammo that will group 5" standing and 2.5 benched. standing groups are about twice what benched groups are for most people.

onikage
07-21-2010, 8:59 AM
Dumb question, but is the OD/Black combo not on the roster hence all the "ooo"'s and "ahh's?"

Edit: nevermind, found it on the roster.

Arkive
07-21-2010, 12:30 PM
I have an all black SR9. I love the gun its been flawless for me. The trigger is no single action SIG but its nowhere near as bad as i have read "ons da internets".