PDA

View Full Version : Lead-Free ammo?

9unknown
03-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Never ordered ammo online before, since my local shop doesn't really have much in terms of selection I figure I'll give it a go. I hear there's a restriction that says only lead-free ammo shipping to California, which really limits what is available. Just wanted to be sure before placing an order. Anybody else in the Los Angeles area buying ammo online that can comment on this?

thanks in advance.

XDRoX
03-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I live in San Diego and don't know if the rules are different, but I order lead ammo all the time.

Once A Marine
03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
There is no CA law stating only lead-free can be shipped in. 95% of my ammo is purchased online, and it's all be jacketed lead.

Now if you are in LA, you can kiss this idea goodbye, as I think the city forbids ammo shipments without licensing.

We'll need someone from the LA area familiar with this to confirm/clarify.

9unknown
03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
There is no CA law stating only lead-free can be shipped in. 95% of my ammo is purchased online, and it's all be jacketed lead.

Now if you are in LA, you can kiss this idea goodbye, as I think the city forbids ammo shipments without licensing.

We'll need someone from the LA area familiar with this to confirm/clarify.

I contacted Cabela's about any city of los angeles as well as state ordinance regarding ammo shipment and this is what they said...

"The ammunition restrictions go into effect 2/11. At this time the only restriction that I know of in CA is it does have to be lead free."

I would certainly hope they would know if there were any type of shipping regulations in LA specifically.

Anyone in LA order ammo from Cabela's?

Once A Marine
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I contacted Cabela's about any city of los angeles as well as state ordinance regarding ammo shipment and this is what they said...

"The ammunition restrictions go into effect 2/11. At this time the only restriction that I know of in CA is it does have to be lead free."

I would certainly hope they would know if there were any type of shipping regulations in LA specifically.

Anyone in LA order ammo from Cabela's?

Cabela's doesn't know.

As far as I can tell, from posts on Calguns (here's one from late last year - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=234409), a thumbprint is required when someone purchases ammo in the city of LA. It's seems grey-ish on online orders, but it seems many online places won't sell you. The others will certainly give a disclaimer that you are responsible. Seems according to the thread I posted, someone did order ammo online to LA. It's your risk to take.

Again, there is no requirement of lead-free ammo for the state of California. There are some hunting requirements for it, and there could be some local issues (usually it's just a range preference), but there is no state law requiring lead-free ammo.

9unknown
03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Cabela's doesn't know.

As far as I can tell, from posts on Calguns (here's one from late last year - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=234409, a thumbprint is required when someone purchases ammo in the city of LA. That kills shipments of ammo to you from an online retailer.

See that's exactly what I thought, the thumbprint /ID check. Then I read somewhere else recently that it isn't necessary and decided to email Cabela's thinking they would know... guess not.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Once A Marine
03-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I made an update to my post. (kills ammo shipments vs. do so at your own risk). :)

9unknown
03-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I made an update to my post. (kills ammo shipments vs. do so at your own risk). :)

Haha, wow this is getting confusing. I feel like I need to be a lawyer to buy ammo online.