PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 BAS-K or Rem 700 Target Tactical?

Andrew17019
03-04-2010, 8:18 AM
I'm a fan of both of these rifles, and I'm looking to get a solid bolt action for my next purchase, what are your thoughts on the two of these?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Savage because of the 10rd box mag capability and more stock options with the AR style stock (may be good, may be bad).

Here's pictures of the two:

http://billstclair.com/blog/images/savage-bas-bat-rifles-600x272.jpg

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Images/Firearms/Centerfire/Model-700/Model-700-Target-Tactical/700-TAC-84456-prod.ashx?w=570&bc=ffffff

Right now I have a 300 yard range that I shoot at, and I'd be getting either one in .308win. I doubt I'll ever shoot regularly past 300 yards, but I'm all about precision shots and nice tight groups (sounds dirty doesn't it)...

OutlawDon
03-04-2010, 8:53 AM
This owner was not impressed with the Savage. I'd skip both and build your own with a base Remington 700 or a regular Savage model. Maybe the 700 since you want the detachable 10rd mag option. Plus, the Savage BAS's design is WAY too busy for me. To me, a precision bolt rifle should be as simple in design and function as possible for a tighter, more accurate feel. If I wanted to tacticool it out, I have the AR15 platform for that to play with. I personally have a Savage 12FVSS .223 with a Bell and Carlson tactical stock and it's very accurate with match ammo.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22124&sid=d05a926a5a24426b4b8b82ecce66a4ac

Army
03-04-2010, 9:51 AM
If it shoots as well as any other M10 Savage, then you will be very happy with it.

That SC poster doesn't seem much of a shooter. He had set the stock up "perfectly for him....and very confortable" the night before, yet then reported the stock didn't fit very well, was difficult to position, and was uncomfortable to shoot. Didn't use the recommended ammo, and didn't fire it to distance.

The one I fired was wonderful. 500yd called shots were easy. Recoil was hardly noticed as the stock, while not set up for me, still fit very nicely. The Accutrigger (of which I am not a big fan of BTW. Like my triggers much lighter) was smooth, crisp, an easy to predict.

Personally, I have yet to shoot a Savage that DIDN'T put bullets right where I wanted them to go.

1 SIG fan
03-04-2010, 10:02 AM
well... I bought a 10 bask cause it looked cool and i wanted the box mag. It has a great stock and the trigger is supposed to be great... So i get it, finally get my scope, andt he right rings but has a impossible time trying to mount the scope level. turns out the receiver was drilled crooked for the rail. so away it went. I measured 3 others and they were all within spec but mine was way out. Hard to have a precision rifle that isn't square. i'm going with a ar10 style rifle now.

ar15barrels
03-04-2010, 2:23 PM
i'm going with a ar10 style rifle now.

You will be disappointed if you expect to use a semi-auto rifle as a proper precision rifle.