PDA

View Full Version : Any have experience at the OC Sherif Range?

gorenut
03-04-2010, 8:07 AM
I was thinking of taking a new shooter to the range but on their site.. they seem pretty strict about no instruction at the range. My question is: will there be any problems with helping my friend out there? Not sure how strict they are there.

Black Majik
03-04-2010, 8:45 AM
It's an oddball range but the staff there are excellent.

First, their hours of operation is a little weird. They'll break for lunch and kick everyone out of the range.

5 rounds per magazine

The range itself is well lit, it costs $7 to shoot (from what I remember) and they provide free paper targets. You can also input the exact distance you want your target out to.

It's a nice range, but I'm not sure whether they allow "instruction." Definitely call to ask, along with their hours of operation.

Bray556
03-04-2010, 10:34 AM
They do not allow instruction... And if you haven't shot there before the staff takes you into their booth and chat/ grill you up for a while about your guns and experience. Once in the range, they are not SUPER attentive, but I think they would notice eventually.

Personally, I've considered taking my girlfriend there because it is inexpensive, but I'd rather not have to look over my shoulder and worry about getting confronted.

My main reason for me not taking new shooters there is just respect for the atmosphere... As was discussed in a previous thread, the Sheriff's range is a place where you generally don't have to look over your shoulder and worry about inexperienced or irresponsible novelty shooters.

gumby
03-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Bray and Black are correct of their assessment of the OCSD range. I spent 30yrs there and would rather pay at a private range than have them treat me like a noobie each time I go to qualify.

KING_PALM
03-04-2010, 11:32 AM
i like ocsd range. i dont have an issue with putting 5 rounds in my 220. ( it only fits 8 ). the free paper is a plus and i was told the rules once and and thats was it, since then i have been many many times.
as for instruction, i would risk going there to try.

Black_Talon
03-04-2010, 3:56 PM
Can you load 6 rounds in a revolver cylinder at OCSD range?

gorenut
03-05-2010, 7:34 AM
Can you load 6 rounds in a revolver cylinder at OCSD range?

I wondered the same thing.,