PDA

View Full Version : .357 hollow points safe in a tubular magazine?

Quemtimebo
03-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi all! My new Rossi '92 will be out of jail on Friday, and I'm looking to pick up a bit of home defense ammo in .357 (don't want to take a chance on .38's not playing nice when I need them most). Are jacketed hollow points like Golden Saber safe to use in the carbine's tubular magazine? I know I can always hand load a heavy RNFP slug, but for legal reasons I'm a little nervous about using a non-factory round in a home defense situation. I appreciate the help!

Jonathan Doe
03-04-2010, 4:29 AM
Yes.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-04-2010, 6:50 AM
Also consider the leverevolution or whatever it is ammo. It is a premium JHP with a polymer tip specifically designed for use in tubular magazines. It is supposed to be incredibly effective in lever gun length barrels. Just a thought.

-Mb

ianS
03-04-2010, 8:41 AM
Any flat hollowpoint will be safe to use in your lever. Just make sure to stay away from pointy bullet profiles that might impact the primer.

As for loads generally a 125 grain load may prevent overpenetration but some believe the bullet is too light and might break apart too soon due to the higher velocities generated by the longer barrel of a rifle. So I generally prefer something like a 158 grain SJSP or JHP load. Pings the 100 yard steel plate at Angeles with decent authority and fairly easy to find. Have not tried the LeverEvolution but heard those rubber tips can get deformed with time when loaded for a long time or being re-chambered. I heard they work as advertised though. For 100 yards and in I think the 158 is just fine. Another option is looking at loads by Buffalo Bore if you want something with a bit more power.

I enjoy my Rossi '92 immensely I'm sure you will too. Look into getting a leather wrap for the lever. Your hand will thank you when working that lever quickly.

bruss01
03-04-2010, 8:43 AM
How about fmj flat point? I would think those would be ok also... anyone beg to differ?

ianS
03-04-2010, 8:45 AM
They're fine. I shoot flat profile FMJ reloads when I can't find factory .357 or I'm just trying to save money.

Army
03-04-2010, 9:30 AM
Most handgun bullet configuration is fine in a tubular mag. The cartridge does not produce the recoil energy needed, for the bullet tip to crush the primer it is resting against.

Flat point, hollowpoint, even round nose lead will all be fine. I wouldn't try any pointy or round nosed FMJ bullets though, as they MAY/MIGHT/PERHAPS have enough point and "oomph" to detonate the primer in front.

As for the velocity of 125gr bullets, seeing as it is for home defense, I would not worry about terminal performance at across-the-room encounters. That little 125 will still hit like a ton of bricks, regardless if it blows up. People are pretty easy to stop or kill, and a large chunk blown out of a bad guy anatomy will, at the very least, convince him/her that you are serious....besides, you have over 10 rounds left in the magazine :)

ojisan
03-04-2010, 9:37 AM
We got right at 2,000 FPS out of our 125G HP .357 mag handloads in an IMI Timberwolf.
Plenty of punch!