PDA

View Full Version : cz-75 sa pistol?

Fobanginvtek
03-03-2010, 11:45 PM
i tried searching in the search function, but nothing coming up? All though i hear alot about it, and since I was buying my first pistol VERY soon I was looking into the Browning hi-power, and came across the cz-75. Looks like a great pistol, but at a better price. anybody got some experience with it?

HCz
03-04-2010, 12:23 AM
try 'cz75' and choose 'search titles only' and make sure you only limit it to handgun forum.

The very first questions that I or anyone else will ask is, 'What is the purpose of the gun?'

I have one and I like it. Accessories are a bit hard to find, especially compared to other major brands.

Fobanginvtek
03-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Will be used for target, and as my home defense gun..accessories being hard to find kind of makes me nervous. Is it great? compared to your other pistols?

railroader
03-04-2010, 4:16 AM
I have one and I like it alot. It's very accurate and I'm not sure what accessories you need but mine has competition sights and I installed a new trigger with adljustments for overtravel and take up. Here's a place for gunsmithing and goodies. http://czcustom.com/ Also if you like the cocked and locked single action trigger you aren't limited to the CZ75sa. All CZs that don't have a decocker can be carried cocked and locked. They can also be carried hammer down with a double action 1st shot. Mark

Z ME FLY
03-04-2010, 5:41 AM
If it is a home defense gun many will say get the CZ75 so it will have a DA/SA. During stressful times, many say that the DA is a better because you won't accidently shot something or someone.

thomashoward
03-04-2010, 5:49 AM
http://cz-usa.com/
I got one for my son for finishing College

lmudave
03-04-2010, 7:04 AM
I did the same thing... wanted a browning hi-power but didn't want to drop $900 or so... Went with a cz-75bd and its my favorite and most reliable(accurate too) handgun I own.

froman118
03-04-2010, 7:38 AM
I love my CZ-75B SA. Very accurate and fits my hand pretty good. Prefer it to any Sig, Glock, XD, or Ruger that I've shot before. Picked up the .22 Kadet Kit recently to get more trigger time.

At 7 yards I pretty much shoot out the center of a target (20 rounds of Blazer aluminum cased 9mm):

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_B07z1z6FkRo/S4zCj8wAKSI/AAAAAAAADWg/4CzgHBLd6l4/s720/IMG_0191.JPG

Similar results with the Kadet Kit (10 rounds of bulk Federal):

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_B07z1z6FkRo/S4zCh6mwoBI/AAAAAAAADWc/UZIKvIwS5x4/s720/IMG_0200.JPG

Just a target gun for me, home defense is covered by a revolver and shotgun.

Oldnoob
03-04-2010, 7:46 AM
Got both BHP and CZ75B SA. What would you like to know?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/BHP.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/CZ75BSApointdown.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/CZ75BSA.jpg

.40Cal
03-04-2010, 7:52 AM
I have one and I like it alot. It's very accurate and I'm not sure what accessories you need but mine has competition sights and I installed a new trigger with adljustments for overtravel and take up. Here's a place for gunsmithing and goodies. http://czcustom.com/ Also if you like the cocked and locked single action trigger you aren't limited to the CZ75sa. All CZs that don't have a decocker can be carried cocked and locked. They can also be carried hammer down with a double action 1st shot. Mark

How do you do that? Pull the slide > Chamber a round > THEN lower the hammer for 1st shot in double action? Isn't that dangerous to lower the hammer on a chambered round?

If it is a home defense gun many will say get the CZ75 so it will have a DA/SA. During stressful times, many say that the DA is a better because you won't accidently shot something or someone.
I agree that the 1st round can accidently go off without you realizing in a stress situation, so double action 1st shot would be better. But how do you achieve that with CZ75? This can only be achieved in the Decocker type guns - like Sig, and CZ decocker.

I've noticed after you've chamberd a round, you can either leave the hammer back and put is on safe (cocked & locked), then you have to remember to lower the safety to Fire position, if you need to. However, there's really no way to get the 1st round in double action, unless you lower the hammer on a chambered round = no, no!... (IMO)

Z ME FLY
03-04-2010, 9:21 AM
How do you do that? Pull the slide > Chamber a round > THEN lower the hammer for 1st shot in double action? Isn't that dangerous to lower the hammer on a chambered round?

I agree that the 1st round can accidently go off without you realizing in a stress situation, so double action 1st shot would be better. But how do you achieve that with CZ75? This can only be achieved in the Decocker type guns - like Sig, and CZ decocker.

I've noticed after you've chamberd a round, you can either leave the hammer back and put is on safe (cocked & locked), then you have to remember to lower the safety to Fire position, if you need to. However, there's really no way to get the 1st round in double action, unless you lower the hammer on a chambered round = no, no!... (IMO)

Honestly I am not too sure what you are talking about. CZ makes the 75 in a decocker and non decocker type. I had the non decocker type before and was able to shoot in DA. Please decocking your gun by lowering the hammer is safe... I have done it plenty of times before. Just remember that you gun is loaded so point it in a safe direction and go slow. If you are really really paranoid you can put your finger in front of the hammer so if it does fall fast it will smash your finger vs. going off. But like I said it is safe I had one, I just personally didn't like the DA.

Fobanginvtek
03-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Got both BHP and CZ75B SA. What would you like to know?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/BHP.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/CZ75BSApointdown.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/CZ75BSA.jpg

Very nice. If you were to compare, which do you like better? Which has better accuracy? Lighter? Im sure they are both reliable. Which is easier to obtain accessories for just incase I want to modify or repair a part?

Oldnoob
03-04-2010, 1:07 PM
Very nice. If you were to compare, which do you like better? Which has better accuracy? Lighter? Im sure they are both reliable. Which is easier to obtain accessories for just incase I want to modify or repair a part?

They are both now my favor 9mm. If I have to say which one I like better, I think as now they are 6:4 with BHP leading. My CZ75sa just bump my Sig 226 and became my 2nd favor 9mm.

Accuracy:

I can shoot both of them 1" group out to 10 yards at my good days. So without a Ransom Rest, I can't tell you which one is more accurate. I think it would come down to which type of trigger you like better, for they are quite different.

BHP: mine is 35 years young, so its trigger is smooth like butter on hot pan, and with no grit at all. Very short travel and reset, however the break point is hard but crisp.

CZ: 5 years old with low round counts. A bit longer travel and reset. Light break but not as crisp (I won't say mushy, but not crystal).

Size:

BHP has a shorter grip and thinner when compare both stock vs stock. If you like narrow grip, either go with BHP or get a thin grip for CZ (cz custom shop).
When I have a chance I'll weight them both at the same time. As now, they feel the same to me, but from different source, you will get different weight online. They should both be around 1kg.

Accessories:

I think you will have easier luck with CZ to find all those "tacticool" stuff. It's younger, and have younger fan base. CZ Custom Shop (http://czcustom.com/index.aspx) have everything you need to be a level 50 mall ninja with a CZ :p. And generally speaking, they are cheaper than BHP parts.

Cylinder & Slide (http://www.cylinder-slide.com/) has lots custom parts for BHP. And there are many old school legend gunsmiths (like Wayne Novak (www.novaksights.com/), Ted Yost (www.heirloomprecision.com/info/)) out there will work on your HP.

However, (and here is what I dislike about CZ the most) it's PITA to detail strip a CZ75. Once you detail strip a CZ75 SA, you will too realize that it's really a DA/SA gun that they modify into a SAO pistol. BHP in another hand is a much simpler platform. Most custom parts you get online will be easily install by yourself.

I think you will be fine with either one of them. You might as well take it upon with luck. Pick up which ever come across with you first. For it's hard to find either of them in CA. And both of them are on the high way or price hype. CZ used to be a $350 nib, now pushing $650. Browning/FN used to be around $650, now you won't see them lower than $900 in your local store.

loudninja
03-04-2010, 1:10 PM
However, (and here is what I dislike about CZ the most) it's PITA to detail strip a CZ75.

for decocker type cz's PITA is an understatement.

Oldnoob
03-04-2010, 1:15 PM
Also here are two articles by Mr. Stephen A. Camp (the man with most HP knowledge that I know of), that can help you compare as well.

Browning/FN Hi Power and CZ-75: Are They Related (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Browning%20and%20CZ.htm)?

Which is best: CZ-75 or Browning Hi Power? (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ-75%20or%20BHP.htm)

Oldnoob
03-04-2010, 1:19 PM
for decocker type cz's PITA is an understatement.

Sig is the easiest DA/SA with decocker pistol that I know of. CZ is the most difficult that I know of.

Oldnoob
03-04-2010, 1:27 PM

If you don't feel comfortable to thumb down the hammer, don't do it. But people have manually lower their hammer before either of us has been born.

.40Cal
03-04-2010, 2:20 PM
Honestly I am not too sure what you are talking about. CZ makes the 75 in a decocker and non decocker type. I had the non decocker type before and was able to shoot in DA. Please decocking your gun by lowering the hammer is safe... I have done it plenty of times before. Just remember that you gun is loaded so point it in a safe direction and go slow. If you are really really paranoid you can put your finger in front of the hammer so if it does fall fast it will smash your finger vs. going off. But like I said it is safe I had one, I just personally didn't like the DA.

I know it CAN be done. But from all that I know and have heard, it is NOT Advisable to do that! You should never lower a hammer using your thumb method ('slowly' it maybe) on a 'chambered round'. Maybe, someone can shed some light on this... but this whole DA/SA thing doesn't really work, if THIS is how you intend to use it.

I think the DA/SA works mainly in the decocker type pistols. Anything else should be considered (including 1911 types) SA only. (IMO)

.40Cal
03-04-2010, 2:41 PM
If you don't feel comfortable to thumb down the hammer, don't do it. But people have manually lower their hammer before either of us has been born.

TRUE! But then it kills the purpose of having a DA/SA pistol. Withouth the comfortable & safe method of using a 1st shot in DA mode, it's more of a SA only pistol then...

traptrix
03-04-2010, 2:41 PM
I have a CZ 75B. I like it a lot and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Field stripping is a simple task, I have detail stripped it but honestly just blowing some clp through it and blowing that out with compressed air seems fine to me.
As far as lowering the hammer on a chambered round goes there are no holes in the walls at my place, common sense is the key here.
CZ has the Kadett kit available which converts it into a .22LR. Good cheap accurate .22 fun.

I have little experience with a BHP but they are a very good gun.
I chose the CZ.

leelaw
03-04-2010, 2:52 PM
TRUE! But then it kills the purpose of having a DA/SA pistol. Withouth the comfortable & safe method of using a 1st shot in DA mode, it's more of a SA only pistol then...

Which is why it is available with a safety.

Carry with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked (don't do the funky "thumb it down blah blah blah" mentioned above) and safety engaged. Hold your thumb atop the safety, and if you need to shoot, flick the safety and pull the trigger.

The point of the DA ability in this configuration is to second strike a round which failed to fire, not to provide a long, hevay first trigger pull.

Now, your statement makes me wonder what is safe of having your finger on the trigger of a DA trigger, compared to a SA trigger, if you're not ready to fire in the first place. The concern you seem to have really feels like a failure to follow other safety procedures, rather than a drawback of a particular firearm.

.40Cal
03-04-2010, 2:58 PM
^^ Using your "trigger finger" as a safety feature is always the best/most effective way (keeping away from the trigger, until ready to fire).....given that.... the Discussion was about 1st shot in DA mode.

Paradiddle
03-04-2010, 3:05 PM
I LOVE mine. For me it fits me pefectly. I think it points as naturally as a Browning HP which I consider to be the best pointing pistol.

Great recoil management because of the weight. I converted mine to DA for IPSC competition because I think the SA frame fits better - the beavertail is swept up as opposed to the 75 DA/SA which is swept down.

Get one!

Here is mine prior to me putting on the thin aluminum/grip tape grips. Angus at Ghostholster did the work.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/Paradiddle11/75SA.jpg

luisdeleon
03-04-2010, 3:17 PM
you will never regret getting any of the CZ's. fine pistols ,i just got a P-01, very nice and happy i got it. next will be a SP-01

doughboy334
03-04-2010, 3:24 PM
My friend has a CZ75 (forgot what model though).
It is a DA/SA type with no decocker, only safety. Dry firing on snap caps I noticed that the pull for DA wasn't so bad and heavy, but his SA break was light as f*** (trigger felt secure however, not like thing would fire accidentally if you held it the wrong way or something)! I forgot when he was talking about it if he put in a custom trigger or not.

He could either carry cocked and lock or manually lower hammer and keep it in DA (and if he wanted the safety still works with hammer down). Coming from a 1911, I'd go for the cocked and locked with the nice SA pull :).

For the issue of lowering the hammer, I have a 1914 S&W Military and Police DA revolver that has no safety whatsoever, haven't had any accidents yet lowering the hammer but you just got to be careful all the time!

Hk996
03-04-2010, 3:30 PM
I have the Pre B CZ-75 and it is one of my favorite guns! The only gun I've shot a 1 hole 7yrd target and 5 rounds.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/Kiwa25/Gun/CZtarget2.jpg

Fobanginvtek
03-04-2010, 6:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys. So whats the differ between DA/SA? I kind of understand it, but im getting confused wit hthe decocker/nondecocker talk....

Oldnoob
03-04-2010, 6:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys. So whats the differ between DA/SA? I kind of understand it, but im getting confused wit hthe decocker/nondecocker talk....

Are you not familiar with Double Action/Single Action in semi auto pistols or you were asking about the differences between CZ75B model (which come in DA/SA) vs CZ75B SA model (which is Single Action Only)?

Oldnoob
03-04-2010, 6:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_%28firearms%29

Single-action (SA)

A single-action trigger, sometimes single-action only (SAO), performs the single action of releasing the hammer or striker to discharge the firearm each time the trigger is pulled.[1] Almost all rifles and shotguns use this type of trigger.[1] Single-action semi-automatic pistols require that the hammer be cocked before the first round can be fired, although most designs cock the hammer as part of the loading process (e.g, the act of inserting the magazine and operating the slide mechanism to chamber the first round also cocks the hammer or striker into the ready-to-fire position).[2] Once the first round is fired the automatic movement (recoil) of the slide cocks the hammer for each subsequent shot. The pistol, once cocked, can be fired by pulling the trigger once for each shot until the magazine is empty. The M1911 is a single-action pistol that functions in this manner.[2] Single action revolvers require the hammer to be cocked by hand every time the weapon is fired.

Double-action/Single-action (DA/SA)

A double-action/single-action firearm combines the features of both mechanisms. Often called traditional double action, these terms apply almost exclusively to semi-automatic handguns. The function of this trigger mechanism is identical to a DA revolver. However, the firing mechanism automatically cocks the hammer or striker after the gun is fired. This mechanism will cock and release the hammer when the hammer is in the down position but on each subsequent shot, the trigger will function as a single action. The Mateba Autorevolver is a hybrid revolver that functions on a DA/SA system. However, it is different in function than either a conventional revolver or semi-automatic pistol. The Beretta 92 is a good example of a DA/SA semi-automatic pistol. On many DA/SA pistols (including the Beretta) there is the option to cock the hammer before the first shot is fired. This removes the heavy pull of the double-action. Also, there is often a de-cocker to return the pistol to double-action.

Double-action only (DAO)

A double-action only is similar to a DA revolver trigger mechanism however there is no single action function. For semi-automatic pistols with a traditional hammer (that employ only the double action function of the trigger), the hammer will return to its decocked position after each shot. Subsequent shots require the double action trigger firing sequence. For striker-fired pistols such as the Taurus 24/7, the striker will remain in the rest position through the entire reloading cycle. This term applies mostly to semi-automatic handguns; however, the term can also apply to some revolvers such as the Smith & Wesson Centennial and the Enfield No. 2 Mk I revolvers. In the case of the Glock and Kahr semi-automatic pistols the striker is "cocked" to an intermediate position by the operation of the slide. The double action trigger completes the firing sequence from this intermediate cocked position. This is a critical point to understand for the successful operation of the firearm. Firearms of this type are operated practically as single action weapons. In order for the firing mechanism to function the slide must be operated to bring the striker to the cocked intermediate position; it is not possible to operate the firing mechanism multiple times without operating the slide between each firing sequence.

Z ME FLY
03-04-2010, 6:47 PM

I am confused by your statement :confused:

The difference between DA and SA is that double action is going to be a heavier trigger pull and the gun does not have the hammer back or cocked. SA gives a lighter trigger pull and is cocked. If I got a CZ I would get a SA one but thats because it would be a range gun. People are just asking too much for me, $550, $600 for the SA.

doughboy334
03-04-2010, 6:48 PM
SA and DA describes what the trigger does.

A Single Action trigger only has one function, and that is to release the hammer that hits the firing pin and sends the round down the barrel.

A Double Action trigger does two things when you pull it, it cocks the hammer back and then releases it to hit the firing pin and send the round down the barrel. Because it does two things, the trigger pull is noticeably heavier than SA.

For the CZ75 the one my friend had (SA/DA with safety but no decocker), to get it shooting you load a magazine, pull back the slide which cocks back the hammer, and then fire (this is SA since pulling the slide cocks the hammer for you and all you need to do is shoot).

If my friend wanted to do DA, from this point he would need to manually lower the hammer (uncocking the hammer) and then he'd be in DA mode (meaning to shoot the trigger would have to recock the hammer and then it would fire).

SA handguns are famous for being cocked and locked (like the 1911)
DA guns are usually nice for home defense/carry (?), since instead of a safety they come with a decocker and you don't have to worry about the hammer catching on something since it is not down.

Feel free to correct me I was in a rush to type this out hopefully I didn't FUBAR things to much!

edit: good ol Calguns, a bunch of people posted before me and got the info out :D

Z ME FLY
03-04-2010, 6:52 PM
Haha doughboy... but your post was a lot more detailed than my post...

I mean if you are really worried about the whole DA/SA then just get a glock or an xd.

Paradiddle
03-04-2010, 6:54 PM

Frankly I'd stay away from the decocker model - I heard poor things about the triggers.

The SA has an up-swept beaver tail and a lower safety - it feels more like a 1911. The 75B has a dowdn swept beavertail and a higher safety. I have short fingers so I had to change my drawing grip to flip the safety off. That is why I got a SA and had it converted.

If you have big hands an aren't going to complete the 75B is fine - both my CZs were very accurate and very easy to shoot.

Angus Hodnall is a great resource for CZ and his custom guns are fantastic.

Here is the SA frame (note that is the competition hammer and sights - those aren't stock)

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/Paradiddle11/75SA.jpg

here is the DA frame:

http://cz-usa.com/assets/product-images/282/main282_png_400x128_q85.png

Fobanginvtek
03-04-2010, 7:06 PM
SA and DA describes what the trigger does.

A Single Action trigger only has one function, and that is to release the hammer that hits the firing pin and sends the round down the barrel.

A Double Action trigger does two things when you pull it, it cocks the hammer back and then releases it to hit the firing pin and send the round down the barrel. Because it does two things, the trigger pull is noticeably heavier than SA.

For the CZ75 the one my friend had (SA/DA with safety but no decocker), to get it shooting you load a magazine, pull back the slide which cocks back the hammer, and then fire (this is SA since pulling the slide cocks the hammer for you and all you need to do is shoot).

If my friend wanted to do DA, from this point he would need to manually lower the hammer (uncocking the hammer) and then he'd be in DA mode (meaning to shoot the trigger would have to recock the hammer and then it would fire).

SA handguns are famous for being cocked and locked (like the 1911)
DA guns are usually nice for home defense/carry (?), since instead of a safety they come with a decocker and you don't have to worry about the hammer catching on something since it is not down.

Feel free to correct me I was in a rush to type this out hopefully I didn't FUBAR things to much!

edit: good ol Calguns, a bunch of people posted before me and got the info out :D

haha ohh ok gotcha. so DA pistols would be "more " safe? Well I don't think that would apply too much to me since I am not going to be carrying it around. But the SA would have a lighter trigger pull?

Oldnoob
03-04-2010, 7:10 PM
haha ohh ok gotcha. so DA pistols would be "more " safe? Well I don't think that would apply too much to me since I am not going to be carrying it around. But the SA would have a lighter trigger pull?

In a "trigger pull 101" sense. Yes, SA trigger usually has lighter on the break, shorter on the travel and reset.

doughboy334
03-04-2010, 7:12 PM
Safety is really in the hands of the user ;)

I like my 1911 with frame safety and grip safety, I fear nothing when I mall ninja in my house :P

But you can't go wrong with the CZ75, its well made and reliable.
SA is going to be lighter than DA, but like I mentioned earlier in page 3 or so my friend's DA pull wasnt that bad, but his SA pull was hellaaaaa nice, nicer (as in lighter) than my 1911!

edit: If I had the money, I'd go for the CZ75 SA/DA with the safety. You could put the safety on with the hammer down (cocked and locked), or you could manually lower the hammer (DA now) and then put the safety on. I'm used to the "locked" part of cocked and locked though. It's up to your preference, there are plenty of people that are comfortable/favor decocker over safety.

Oldnoob
03-04-2010, 7:18 PM
CZ75B SA vs CZ75B

http://cz-usa.com/assets/product-images/284/main284_png_637x200_q85.png

http://cz-usa.com/assets/product-images/282/main282_png_637x200_q85.png

Few minor differences:

Trigger. Not only the trigger action (DA/SA vs SAO), the trigger itself has different shape.
Slide. Slightly different shape at the front of slide.
Safety. SA has an enlarge manual safety lever.
Magazine release bottom. SA model has enlarged mag release bottom.
Beaver tail. SA frame has it, B doesn't.

I think that's about it. Did I miss anything guy?

railroader
03-04-2010, 7:51 PM
CZ75B SA vs CZ75B

http://cz-usa.com/assets/product-images/284/main284_png_637x200_q85.png

http://cz-usa.com/assets/product-images/282/main282_png_637x200_q85.png

Few minor differences:

Trigger. Not only the trigger action (DA/SA vs SAO), the trigger itself has different shape.
Slide. Slightly different shape at the front of slide.
Safety. SA has an enlarge manual safety lever.
Magazine release bottom. SA model has enlarged mag release bottom.
Beaver tail. SA frame has it, B doesn't.

I think that's about it. Did I miss anything guy?

Mags drop free on the SA not the DA/SA but it's an easy fix.

In a "trigger pull 101" sense. Yes, SA trigger usually has lighter on the break, shorter on the travel and reset.

I had a DA/SA and the trigger was better stock than my SA. The DA/SA trigger had almost zero takeup and it broke cleaner than my stock SA. My SA is comparable now that I changed the trigger and did a little polishing on the hammer and sear. Mark

Oldnoob
03-04-2010, 8:07 PM
Mags drop free on the SA not the DA/SA but it's an easy fix.

That's right, they have different spring leaf. So SA will drop free and B model will not.

Z ME FLY
03-04-2010, 10:19 PM
That's right, they have different spring leaf. So SA will drop free and B model will not.

Strange does that apply to the compact models too? I had a compact that would drop the mags free.