PDA

View Full Version : What is the Ca law regarding Shotgun Mods

kurac
01-29-2006, 9:02 AM
I have an 870 that I want to put a 20" rifle sighted smooth bore barrel and of course a magazine extension, possibly the 10 shot deal. I think that should be ok, what restriction are there for folding stock, pistol grip stocks ect?

Thanks in advance.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-29-2006, 12:23 PM
California law ( and Federal law ) says shotguns have to be at least 26 inches long and have at least an 18 inch long barrel.

California law says no magazines over 10 rounds and no revolving cylinders.

All of the other restrictions only apply to semi-auto shotguns, so with the Model 870 you can add all kinds of stuff.

kurac
01-29-2006, 1:10 PM
So a folding stock would be OK?

Mssr. Eleganté
01-29-2006, 1:16 PM
Yes, folding stocks and pistol grips are legal for pump action shotguns. Just make sure the overall length stays above 26 inches when the stock is folded away.

Sgt Raven
01-29-2006, 1:24 PM
I've used folding stocked 870s and unless you really need to stored it in a smaller space they aren't worth squat.

kurac
01-29-2006, 2:31 PM
I was thinking about the Knoxx COPstock or the special ops stock. Any opinions on these?

If I install a 20" barrel, what is the longest magazine extension that I can use?

Mssr. Eleganté
01-29-2006, 3:36 PM
I think with a 20 inch barrel you could have a 7 round magazine. That's with 2.75 inch shells. With one it the chamber you'd have an 8 round capacity.

Crazed_SS
01-29-2006, 3:39 PM
Yea..

See my thread below this one. I just got a Remington 870 tactical and it came with a magazine extension. It has a 20" barrel and holds 7 rds in the magazine +1 in the chamber.

RobT2K
01-31-2006, 1:54 PM
I have the SpecOps and like it very much. I had a chance to shoot a mossberg with the copstock last weekend and I was pretty good too. The wire stock just bites into your shoulder a little more than with the SpecOps. It also fired very well from the hip with the stock folded, since the recoil absorbtion is in the handle.

JPglee1
01-31-2006, 1:59 PM
California law ( and Federal law ) says shotguns have to be at least 26 inches long and have at least an 18 inch long barrel.

California law says no magazines over 10 rounds and no revolving cylinders.

All of the other restrictions only apply to semi-auto shotguns, so with the Model 870 you can add all kinds of stuff.

What happens if you got an 8 shot tube and you put those little shorty 12GA rounds in them (I think Aguila makes them?) I think you'd be over 10rds for sure...

Something to think about if you're in possession of those shorty type rounds.

J

Ironballs
01-31-2006, 3:44 PM
the knoxx system is pretty cool, id love to stick on on my semi...
it would appear that if i once adjusted the stock and pinned it into the desired position, it would be legal on a semi...

Shotguns
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or
vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
[/QUOTE]

Mssr. Eleganté
01-31-2006, 5:24 PM
What happens if you got an 8 shot tube and you put those little shorty 12GA rounds in them (I think Aguila makes them?) I think you'd be over 10rds for sure...

Something to think about if you're in possession of those shorty type rounds.

J

I guess I could have been more clear on the 10 round magazine thing. There's no California law that says shotguns can't use fixed magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. You just can't buy, sell, give, take, import or manufacture the magazines anymore. Since possession of 10+ capacity magazines is not controlled in California, DOJ would have to proove that your shotgun tube magazine full of Aguila Mini shells was not owned by you before the ban.

CowtownBallin
02-01-2006, 10:20 AM
AR-15 style telescopic stock and pistol-grip, $70. Heat shield with ghost-ring sights, $40. You can evil out your 870/500A/Defender for $110!

Matt C
02-05-2006, 11:50 AM
AR-15 style telescopic stock and pistol-grip, $70. Heat shield with ghost-ring sights, $40. You can evil out your 870/500A/Defender for $110!

My 870 fully evilised w. other CA legal evilness. Note the multi-blade paper weight.
http://myspace-743.vo.llnwd.net/00436/34/71/436631743_l.jpg

EBWhite
02-05-2006, 6:40 PM
What about this---

you can buy a .22 with a 14rd tube magazine.....the shotgun mags are also tubes. Assuming it is a pump shotgun, why can you not have over 10 rds like currently sold .22 tube fed mags?

Mesa Tactical
02-06-2006, 6:49 AM
you can buy a .22 with a 14rd tube magazine.....the shotgun mags are also tubes. Assuming it is a pump shotgun, why can you not have over 10 rds like currently sold .22 tube fed mags?

A 10-shell magazine would be almost 30 inches long.

Also, shotgun shells weigh a lot more than .22 cartridges. Our customers routinely put 12 round on the gun at the receiver (using shell holders), but that's a much better weight distribution than having half a dozen rounds or more forward of the forend.

paradox
02-06-2006, 7:24 AM
What about this---

§12020 (c)
(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action
firearm.

EBWhite
02-06-2006, 5:49 PM
there you go. granted too many shells in the front would be too heavy. not the law is clear...i did not know you could go 10+ in a lever action :-) cool

Mesa Tactical
02-07-2006, 6:06 AM
Does anyone know what recoil-absorbing / tactical stock Hans Vang recommends for the 11-87? I might have to call him up sometime and ask.

The semi-autos cannot accept fancy telescoping stocks because a recoil spring tube projects 11" from the rear of the receiver into the stock.

Knoxx make something called a Copstock which is a standard profile stock with a recoil system. Don't know if it fits on an 11-87. In any case, the semi-autos absorb a lot of the recoil you would feel with an 870.

But if you ever put a Limbsaver buttpad on your shotgun, you will soon wonder why anyone ever bothered with fancy recoil systems. They are really that good.

http://www.simsvibrationlab.com/limbsaver/firearms/firearms.aspx

A shortened or "youth" stock with a Limbsaver buttpad is a fantastic combination for a tactical shotgun.

CowtownBallin
02-07-2006, 9:23 AM
My 870 fully evilised w. other CA legal evilness. Note the multi-blade paper weight.
http://myspace-743.vo.llnwd.net/00436/34/71/436631743_l.jpg

Looks like you're all set to (defensively) mess stuff up!

monkey
02-15-2006, 1:25 PM
I guess I could have been more clear on the 10 round magazine thing. There's no California law that says shotguns can't use fixed magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. You just can't buy, sell, give, take, import or manufacture the magazines anymore. Since possession of 10+ capacity magazines is not controlled in California, DOJ would have to proove that your shotgun tube magazine full of Aguila Mini shells was not owned by you before the ban.

Remember though, the law prohibits the importation, lending, sale, etc of "large-capacity magazines" as defined above in another post. I cannot think of any manufacturer that makes a true 10-round tube extension. DMW, Choate, SRM, Briley all make make tube extensions that when installed create a 10 round magzine capacity overall, but I do not believe they or anyone else makes an extension that itself holds 10 rounds or more, at least commercially (though I could be wrong).

Remember with mag extensions, they are advertised as being "10-round extensions" or "9-round extensions", etc, but what that means is the installation of that particular extension will create an overall magazine capacity of 10 rounds or 9 rounds when installed on to the shotgun's existing mag tube. It does NOT mean that the extension itself holds that many rounds. The advertised "10-round extension" will actually only hold 7 rounds of 2.75" and the magazine spring. The other 3 come from the gun's existing built-in mag tube.

So in a nutshell, you are totally legal in ordering just about any commercially-made mag extension you want as it will not violate the "large-capacity magazine" law when it is either "purchased" locally or "imported" from out-of-state.

If you do ever find an extension that when installe would create a more than 10 round magazine capacity in the gun, you cannot legally buy that either as it would be clear "Intent" to create a new high-cap mag. This would be similar to importing "repair parts" for hi-caps (legal) than building them into new hi-cap mags (illegal).

NRAhighpowershooter
02-15-2006, 2:45 PM
A shortened or "youth" stock with a Limbsaver buttpad is a fantastic combination for a tactical shotgun.

I whole heartedly agree!! I bought a entry shotgun from a buddy(cop) of mine that switched to being the AR man.... the short youth stock really works wonders.. I believe it shortens the overal length by 3"