PDA

View Full Version : which is more fun?

marcus_bervus
03-03-2010, 10:46 PM
I was recently introduce to firearm mania by a friend when he invited me to join one of his shooting rampage on the range. To be candid it was one of the most exciting activities I have experienced in months.

I want to be part of this activities... what can you suggest for a greenhorn like me.... a pistol (1911) or a rifle (AR15)? :D:D:D

seanbo
03-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Get a Moison, Then a Saiga 12.

El Gato
03-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I was recently introduce to firearm mania by a friend when he invited me to join one of his shooting rampage on the range. To be candid it was one of the most exciting activities I have experienced in months.

I want to be part of this activities... what can you suggest for a greenhorn like me.... a pistol (1911) or a rifle (AR15)? :D:D:D

a rifle will be easier to learn to shoot well and will be a good starter...handguns are more difficult and dont have the range...an ar15 is a good choice for a starter gun...accurate, low recoil and good sights make for a good building block.

aermotor
03-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Get a Moison

You mean a Mosin Nagant? It's pronounced mo-SEEN, not like Poison :p

It'd get a Ruger 10/22 or the super on sale Marlin 795 at Turners (only until tomorrow) for some fun plinking. Buy a cheap-ish good pistol, maybe a Glock for ease. Lots of options...

Czar Quanovan
03-04-2010, 12:24 AM
I started with a 22LR pistol...and then just recently bought a 22LR rifle. I wanted to get guns that I would be able to afford to shoot frequently (I've gone every weekend since I got my pistol). But then again I'm a broke college student so the 22 was also a financial decision. From what I've read even people with larger caliber weapons still enjoy shotting their 22's so it seems like you couldn't go wrong in buying one.

shovel88ci
03-04-2010, 4:06 AM
rifle first

CaliforniaLiberal
03-04-2010, 8:19 AM
I'd start off by pricing ammo. The choice of caliber will determine the expense of shooting. I started off a couple of years ago with a Ruger MKIII .22 pistol.

Welcome to the shooting world. Have fun!

CL

lawaia
03-04-2010, 8:51 AM
Depends on where you live. Do you have better access to rifle or pistol ranges? Which would you be able to shoot more? Trust me, if you really enjoy shooting you will eventually end up with a large collection of all types!:D

Milsurp Collector
03-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Ruger 10/22 http://ruger.com/products/1022/firearms.html

Widely available, inexpensive, ammo is cheap and readily available, lots of accessories.

Rekrab
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Find a local range and rent as many handguns as possible to figure out what you like. I started with handguns because it's easier to find somewhere to shoot a handgun in Orange County than it is a rifle.

1911s are a good place to start but are more difficult to clean (in my opinion) than other modern auto-loaders. Personally, If I had to go back and do it all over, I would have gotten a revolver instead of an auto loader. Something in .357 so I can shoot .38spcl when I plink. Probably something like a Ruger SP101 or GP100.

If you want to start with Rifles, you can't go wrong with a decent AR and the parts are very affordable these days if you want to really dive in and build it yourself. However, if you wanted to start with something a bit cheaper, you can always get something like a Saiga chambered in 7.62x39. It's cheap, easy to shoot, tough as nails and the ammo is plentiful and affordable. An added bonus is that if you want, later on, you can convert it into an AK in about 45 minutes and $50 worth of parts.

If you want something even lower cost for a first rifle, find a Mosin Nagant M44 or M91/30. Surplus ammo is all over the place and so cheap you won't mind stocking it deep and high. It's a bolt gun so it will force you to take your time and not waste ammunition. A good one will be reasonably accurate and fun to shoot. Recently Turner's had them on sale for $99. I was about to buy one when someone managed to get to it just seconds before I got there. Old battle rifles are very fun to shoot, highly recommend them. MNs kick like mules though so you might want a limb saver if you're into that kind of thing. Personally I like the feel of the kick in my shoulder >.>