PDA

View Full Version : Help with "Modernizing" an old AR15

problemchild
03-03-2010, 8:47 PM
I have an old Bushmaster target rifle ( I refuse to call it an assault weapon) that is registered with the Peoplez Republik of Kalifornia. I would like to bring it into the 90's with some new parts. I dont have a lot of cash. What can I do to make it look more modern? Can I put a flat top railed upper and decent cheese grader handguard for not too much coin? It also has a muzzle brake I would like to ditch. The muzzle brake has four allen set screws that are epoxied in. The end of the barrel is not threaded. The buttstock is fixed non-collapseable. Any place to buy a used UBR for the back end? And yes that is one of the grandfathered 30rd mags I bought when I purchased the rifle.

Ideas suggestions?

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/AR15/IMG_0294a.jpg

CHS
03-03-2010, 9:02 PM
The buttstock can be swapped out for little to no cost. You'll need a new receiver extension and stock. Might as well go to a milspec one while you're swapping parts.

Check the barrel extension for M4 feed ramps. If you've got them, then swapping receivers is really easy and you can go flat top.

Not much you can do with the muzzle though. You could take it to Randall to have that thing removed and get the barrel threaded for a flash hider, but it might not be worth it.

Noobert
03-03-2010, 9:05 PM
After you swap uppers, you will probably want to get some optics for the 'modern' look, which will be expensive

Endless
03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
It looks good as is.

I would throw on a Trijicon ACOG, DD rails, taclight, GPS-02 grip bipod and a magpul shorty stock...

I have an old Bushmaster target rifle ( I refuse to call it an assault weapon) that is registered with the Peoplez Republik of Kalifornia. I would like to bring it into the 90's with some new parts. I dont have a lot of cash. What can I do to make it look more modern? Can I put a flat top railed upper and decent cheese grader handguard for not too much coin? It also has a muzzle brake I would like to ditch. The muzzle brake has four allen set screws that are epoxied in. The end of the barrel is not threaded. The buttstock is fixed non-collapseable. Any place to buy a used UBR for the back end?

Ideas suggestions?

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/AR15/IMG_0294a.jpg

tomd1584
03-03-2010, 10:28 PM
hmm...i have some parts you may be intersted in!

I agree that it looks good as-is, but a flattop upper and some rails would look modernized.

CHS
03-03-2010, 10:39 PM
I would throw on a Trijicon ACOG, DD rails, taclight, GPS-02 grip bipod and a magpul shorty stock...

What on earth is a Magpul shorty stock? Magpul makes no such thing.

sytfu_RR
03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I'd say just swap the stock for a CTR and maybe get a new pistol grip. other than that it looks great; and the fact that it's a reg'd aw just makes it that much better.

Trendkill
03-03-2010, 10:44 PM

Probably referencing the "Ace" stock....thats my guess.

CHS
03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
You know, the more I think about it the more I realize that being a reg'd AW, you have a DUTY to make this thing as EVIL as possible.

Get a collapsible stock.!
Get a new flat-top upper with a rail system and a flash hider. Put the smith vortex on there for extra evil.!
Slap a vertical grip on that rail system!
Lastly, install a Spikes Havoc flare launcher!!

And then, bumpfire the hell out of 30rd magazines all day long!

greenpea76
03-03-2010, 10:51 PM
An affordable rail is offered by Botach.com showcased in their KZ product line. You can get that rail in place of that handguard for about 50 dollars plus tax and shipping.
Or you could go even cheaper with a Magpul MOE handguard for less than 30 bucks or even cheaper when found in the marketplace used along with "modernized" stocks.

aplinker
03-03-2010, 10:55 PM
If it were me... I'd buy a OMEGA X rail from Midway ($179-$10 coupon), a Magpul MOE kit and swap out the brake for an A2 or, if I felt spendthrifty, an AAC Blackout.

DSG ARMS has a $99 MOE kit that includes the stock kit, handguard and grip. You can try the handguard and see if you like it before buying the rail (though I wouldn't wait too long for the OMEGA-X)

Endless
03-03-2010, 11:41 PM

I refer to the UBR™ Collapsible Butt Stock, same ****.

http://store.magpul.com/product/30/86

Donk310
03-03-2010, 11:53 PM
If you were to ask me... I would say screw all that crap. Keep this thing the way it is and buy a totally new rifle to put in your safe next to that one. That is a really good looking piece of history you have there.

P.S. If you have the money for an ACOG.. you have the money for a new rifle.

pyro3k2
03-04-2010, 1:58 AM
I think you need to start from scatch....just give the old rifle and everything will be ok :)

DTS
03-04-2010, 2:44 AM
buy a new upper ??

professorhard
03-04-2010, 3:06 AM
Toss a BAD on there, actually useful since it has a detachable magazine.