PDA

View Full Version : Exercising right to trial on traffic tickets

Friar_Tuck
03-03-2010, 6:51 PM
What if every person that got a ticket decided to take it trial and did not waive time? Would departments have enough people to cover all the court cases and patrol as well? How many tickets does the average traffic cop write a day? The court clerk in Roseville, CA told me that you have about a 25% chance of the officer not showing up each time you take a traffic ticket to trial, would you agree with that?

I have a near perfect driving record, i LIKE to go the speed limit (no moving violations in the last 7 years), so I'm not a sour grapes type, though I have taken 4 seatbelt tickets to trial 2 of which I won.

tyrist
03-03-2010, 7:26 PM
Court takes precedence over patrol unless an emergency. The only way you don't show up is if you didn't get a subpoena or you have to appear in criminal court.

I have only not shown up one time and it is because I had to appear in criminal court. Also you can testify to numerous cases in a single day so the number of tickets issued doesn't matter.

SickofSoCal
03-03-2010, 9:13 PM
I have a friend who has successfully gotten out of every single speeding ticket he has ever received. In fact, just a few months ago, he got out of a ticket for a cracked windshield. It was only $35, but it's the principle that matters. He likes to call himself a "termite". I love it.

How does he do it you ask? Simple. He challenges them on the basis of their lack of Jurisdictional Authority.

The stories of how some judges have reacted or what they have done are hilarious!

SoCalDep
03-03-2010, 9:58 PM
I wonder how many people have died because someone was just going a little too fast to stop in time.

I suppose the guy who raped and killed Chelsea King should fight the charges "on principle"...Or maybe there's a line to be drawn somewhere. I don't know, just thinking out loud by someone who's dealt with lots of people who've lied to get out of tickets, to get out of jail, and to get out of all sorts of nasty stuff. I'd like to believe that they were all "bad guys", but they run the gamut of humanity and I'm just not sure where to draw the line that makes lying to get out of the consequences ok.

SickofSoCal
03-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Oh please. The State cannot be a victim. These were minor citations, it didn't have anything to do with going to jail.

Would I be correct in assuming that you'd be terrified of living in Germany because she has no speed limit laws on her highways?

dark_ninja
03-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I started fighting tickets once I started to realize how much a pain in the wallet they are! Most tickets have come since I've started riding motorcycles 7 years ago! Some were BS because I used to have a car lowered with tinted windows,exhaust,intake,etc.(Talk about profiling). But I admit half of them have been because of my speeding and lack of better judgement,especially on motorcycles. In fact 75% of my tickets/accidents have been issues/happened on a motorcycle. Lessons learned,just look at the statistics(not all motorcycle incidents are caused by the drivers). Being a father now has made me think twice.

Anyways,back to topic,I contest all my tickets now. Guilty or not! It's our right! Besides,if you have the time,why not? You total the money you'll be paying for the ticket plus your rise in insurance premiums for years to come,that is a lot of dough!

I usually request extensions via internet until no more extensions can be requested. That can give anyone plenty of time to gather whatever they need to go to trial. Practice. Going over laws,whatever,etc. Mind you,judges will most likely rule in the LEO's favor. But I believe in making a stand regardless!

I have won 2/5 tickets.2 dismissals for no shows. The other three lost/convicted. I did deserve two of them(just wish they didn't cost so much!) The other I think was BS,the judge is always brimstone and fire! I've had him twice before! Both times convicted! I forgot his name and I don't know if it would be wise to even mention if I did. I will say he works at the Inglewood Superior Court.*******!

IMHO,fight them all!

SoCalDep
03-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Oh please. The State cannot be a victim. These were minor citations, it didn't have anything to do with going to jail.

Would I be correct in assuming that you'd be terrified of living in Germany because she has no speed limit laws on her highways?

So you're saying it's OK to lie because it wasn't jailable?

You brought up the word principle. I think the principle of the matter is whether or not one can accept responsibility for their actions.

Germany has many traffic laws and strict enforcement thereof which make the autobahn's advisory limit possible. (Yes, the autobahn is not entirely free of speed limits and even in the non-posted sections still carries an advisory limit of 80mph.) That's not to mention the fact that an 80mph limit in the section between Berlin and Hamburg corresponded to a drop in fatal accidents from 8 to 0 in one year. I could go on with the Dahmler/Chrystler test driver convicted of negligent manslaughter for an accident on the "limitless" autobahn. The death rate on the autobahn vs. the much more severely congested US highways is close enough that yes...I'd be a bit concerned.

I've seen the results of speed, texting, talking on cell phones, making a stupid left turn or right turn or not seeing that red light. I've seen blood and cracked skulls and heard the agonal breathing of someone who will never see another day. Whether it's by a bullet from a gun or a speeding car, dead is dead. So while one may not go to jail for it, but I have a really big problem with someone lying about it.

SickofSoCal
03-03-2010, 11:29 PM
My beliefs do not need to be yours. In fact, I hope they never are.

My friend didn't lie about a single, solitary thing. That is something which you assumed based on no evidence whatsoever. You do not know me, you do not know him, and you have no idea about the particulars of what he does in a courtroom.

SoCalDep
03-03-2010, 11:54 PM
My beliefs do not need to be yours. In fact, I hope they never are.

My friend didn't lie about a single, solitary thing. That is something which you assumed based on no evidence whatsoever. You do not know me, you do not know him, and you have no idea about the particulars of what he does in a courtroom.

I see. So his window wasn't cracked and he was never speeding?

You're beliefs do not need to be mine. That doesn't preclude me from addressing comments you made on a public forum. If he was speeding and if his window was cracked and he went into court and plead "not guilty", which he would have had to do to go to trial, he lied. You can argue that he didn't because the court found him "not-guilty", but then why isn't OJ still a well-liked guy? I'm not talking about laws, I'm talking about what you introduced into this thread. Principle. I'll add integrity, honor and responsibility.

You say I don't know you, him, or what he does in court. Maybe so. Prove me wrong and educate me. You brought his actions into this discussion and it's your choice whether to defend his actions as an example of jurisdictional authority or leave us all wondering what really happened.

SickofSoCal
03-04-2010, 12:28 AM
I see. So his window wasn't cracked and he was never speeding?

Your sarcasm doesn't really work here, because you are getting way ahead of the game for no good reason.

The question of whether or not he was speeding, or had a cracked windshield is of no relevance.

I'll let that rot in your brain for a little bit, and get back to you tomorrow night.

SoCalDep
03-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Standing by.

nobody33
03-04-2010, 8:12 AM
Considering that most of our traffic court is on over time (with the exception of the traffic motors- because they work during the day, and day watch officers) it wouldn't affect the police very much if everyone contested the ticket. It would freak the court out, but I don't care much about that.

I wish some of you guys lived in my area, I get paid more to go argue the traffic ticket, than the tickets are usually worth.

I show up to about 99% of my traffic court dates, and lose about 1 in 50 cases a year. Usually on a technicality, or I forgot to write notes because I went to an emergency right after the ticket.

I write about 10 tickets (moving violations) a month.

Peter W Bush
03-04-2010, 8:24 AM
I have a friend who has successfully gotten out of every single speeding ticket he has ever received. In fact, just a few months ago, he got out of a ticket for a cracked windshield. It was only $35, but it's the principle that matters. He likes to call himself a "termite". I love it.

How does he do it you ask? Simple. He challenges them on the basis of their lack of Jurisdictional Authority.

The stories of how some judges have reacted or what they have done are hilarious!

:lurk5: