PDA

View Full Version : glocks and lead bullets...

dancinzen
03-03-2010, 7:44 PM
hello, i know this is probably an age old discussion, but i just picked up a g19. and i was planning on buying some lead bullets till i ran into a few forums stating because of the polygon rifling the barrels create leading when using lead bullets and can explode on you due to the dramatic psi created... wow, not gonna lie, this kinda scarred the @#$! outta me and now i dont know how safe it is anymore. any experiences? any people that know this is true or not true? if i buy a lone wolf barrel can i shoot lead?

thanks.

Glock-matic
03-03-2010, 7:59 PM
Glock reccomends using only factory loaded copper jacketed bullets. This is true of all polygonal rifled barrels, it shouldn't scare you too bad. If you wish to shoot lead bullets, you can get an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling and shoot to your hearts content. The aftermarket bbls are the ticket for shooting reloads as well.

nn3453
03-03-2010, 8:17 PM
I shoot lead out of my KKM barrel regularly. Get an aftermarket barrel and you have nothing to worry about. Lone Wolf is fine.

den888
03-03-2010, 8:18 PM
Get an aftermarket barrel for lead projectiles and you'll be fine.

Oldnoob
03-03-2010, 8:20 PM
Clean you stock barrel every range trip. And don't shoot FMJ after you shot lead, you will be find.

Greg-Dawg
03-03-2010, 8:21 PM
If your Glock scares the crap out of you, then let me ease your fears by taking it off your hands.

evidens83
03-03-2010, 8:24 PM
This is pobably a completely stupid question but how can I tell what bullets are lead and what are not? I shoot range "reloads" as well as factory ammo through my G19. Are there certain brands/manufacturers I should stay away from?

nn3453
03-03-2010, 8:28 PM
This is pobably a completely stupid question but how can I tell what bullets are lead and what are not? I shoot range "reloads" as well as factory ammo through my G19. Are there certain brands/manufacturers I should stay away from?

If the bit that points forward looks black, it is lead :p

Glock-matic
03-03-2010, 9:14 PM

Most bullets have lead in them, you want the ones that are coated in copper. Lead will be a grey to dark grey color. Ammo types are subjective, I can't think of any factory 9mm ammo that isn't compatible with the G19, I have had good luck with American Eagle and Winchester White Box.

I would skip the range reloads, they are the most common reason for blown up glocks. If you stay with good jacketed ammo, there is no reason for you not to get bored of the 9mm before it needs service.

dancinzen
03-03-2010, 9:14 PM
these are lead bullets...

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=dardas&Category_Code=9

and its not that my glock scares me, the only thing that scares me is that if i did shoot them i will blow myself up... looks like i will be shooting some fmjs untill i can muster up a lone wolf barrel.

dancinzen
03-03-2010, 9:16 PM
why cant i reload for my glock? that was the whole purpose of buying a 9mm... is it because of double charges or something?

ivsamhell
03-03-2010, 9:23 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=266349

Glock-matic
03-03-2010, 9:25 PM
why cant i reload for my glock? that was the whole purpose of buying a 9mm... is it because of double charges or something?

You can, range reloads are of unknown quality, and more often than not have issues with over/under charges. It would be a shame to blow up your $500 pistol to save $3 or so on a box of ammo. If you reload, you can. Keep in mind though that glocks tend to have an unsupported chamber and a slightly oversize chamber. This design allows for more reliability in feeding, but is destructive to brass cases. If the brass is used to often, it could lead to a case head rupture that will destroy the pistol.

If you do want to take up reloading, I would suggest an aftermarket bbl with a fully supported chamber (or more supported). But keep in mind, 9mm can be finicky to learn reloading with.

Noobert
03-03-2010, 9:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/ZW17/howaglockworks.gif

Voo
03-03-2010, 10:09 PM
ugh.. you seem to always get people who probably have no real experiencing say, "this" or "that" about shooting reloads and lead out of their glocks..

here are some minor points:

1) Manufacturer warranties are always voided by shooting reloads. People do it anyways.

2) Glocks, HKs, Sigs, MP's, XD's (most all modern military style handguns) have unsupported chambers. It's an inherent design feature. People seem to say 'this' as if it's a bad thing. Again, its found on the all the big name gun makers.

3) Glocks in 9mm do not seem to exhibit the same blow up factor as the ones in the larger calibers.

as for shooting lead... I shoot lead bullets..like A LOT.. out of a stock OEM barrel.. I DO NOT recommend it for new shooters.. It's inherently dangerous and unless you know what you're doing, it can lead to very, very bad things.

If you use the search feature, you'll see that there's a good amount of info on it. But honestly, if you're not sure of what you're doing, stay away from shooting "copious" amounts of lead bullets through your glock until you understand what's actually happening..

Easiest, safest thing to do would be to pick up a drop in aftermarket barrel.. KKM, Lonewolf, Barsto..etc etc.. Traditional rifling will handle lead without the dangers of excessive pressure.

Regardless of what you decide, be safe!

dancinzen
03-03-2010, 10:36 PM
thanks...very informative..

Nynvolt
03-03-2010, 10:55 PM
I never heard about the safety hazards of shooting lead in Glocks or other polygonal rifled barrels until joining this forum. I used to fire it from my glock 19 back 15+ years ago, never had any problems. Is it impossible to clean out or something?

I'm NOT suggesting it's safe by the way. Guess I just got lucky?

Voo
03-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I never heard about the safety hazards of shooting lead in Glocks or other polygonal rifled barrels until joining this forum. I used to fire it from my glock 19 back 15+ years ago, never had any problems. Is it impossible to clean out or something?

I'm NOT suggesting it's safe by the way. Guess I just got lucky?

:-)

I wouldnt say lucky, just that people tend to overreact to the dangers..

It's not impossible to clean out..just tedious?

As for why its' tricky- it has to do with the polygonally cut barrel.. The rifling is designed to grip the bullet as it travels the length of the barrel.. In the case of lead, it just smears and doesn't get readily pushed out the gun. Over time, the lead builds up and provides even more resistance.. Eventually this pressure can exceed design specs and "kaboom".. no more gun..

BMWguy206
03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
My friends dad went to the Northridge Firing-Line and he mentioned to the range officer that he's afraid their reload ammo will cause severe damage to his new Glock 23. Range officer told him if their reload ammo causes severe damage then they will buy him a new gun.

BTW how can one tell if you're given reload ammo or not? I went to the range tonight in Burbank and fired about 200 rounds on my new Glock 35 but instead of brass ammo it looked like polished steel ammo. Pretty sure they had to be reloads though because of the price.

BamBam-31
03-03-2010, 11:55 PM
^^^Are you talking about nickel-plated casings vs. brass casings? Either way, mixed headstamps and/or wear marks on the casings would be dead giveaways. If it's stuff the range is selling you, and it isn't in new factory packaging, chances are nigh near 100% they're range reloads.

BMWguy206
03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
^^^Are you talking about nickel-plated casings vs. brass casings? Either way, mixed headstamps and/or wear marks on the casings would be dead giveaways. If it's stuff the range is selling you, and it isn't in new factory packaging, chances are nigh near 100% they're range reloads.

I thought so. Thanks!

CGK60
03-04-2010, 5:56 AM
Thats all i shot in my Glock 30. just clean after every range trip.

Nynvolt
03-04-2010, 8:17 AM
I wouldnt say lucky, just that people tend to overreact to the dangers..

It's not impossible to clean out..just tedious?

As for why its' tricky- it has to do with the polygonally cut barrel.. The rifling is designed to grip the bullet as it travels the length of the barrel.. In the case of lead, it just smears and doesn't get readily pushed out the gun. Over time, the lead builds up and provides even more resistance.. Eventually this pressure can exceed design specs and "kaboom".. no more gun..

Thanks for that, re-read my post and it sounded somewhat trite. I didn't lube that gun at all but always scrubbed the barrel nicely after shooting it. I had a dud make it half way down the barrel once while shooting reloads. I wonder if the leading was partially to blame or they were just cruddy reloads.

Army
03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Standard manufacturers use lead wire and swaging machines to make their bullets, this requires soft lead. Soft lead is not good for "full contact" polygonal rifling.

If you pour your own, make them very hard, or buy custom bullets of high antimony, hard cast lead. The more hard, the better. Hard cast bullets negate the stripping or smearing of lead in the barrel, making them safe for Glocks.

SCMA-1
03-04-2010, 12:14 PM
There's so much misinformation on this forum. I'm another lead bullet shooter; I have been reloading and shooting lead for over 20 years. I've never had a "kaboom"; not even in one of my Glocks which receive a steady diet of tens of thousands of all lead reloads.:eek: (shocking!)....:rolleyes:

Like the other experienced shooters/reloaders have already mentioned, if you don't know what you are doing, don't understand reloading or have the discipline to do it properly and safely, don't maintain your weapons properly (including keeping the barrels clean of lead buildup); IOW, if you are a Calnoob, then do yourself a favor and stick to factory ammo. Otherwise, shooting lead bullets out of stock Glock barrels is not only perfectly safe, they can be quite accurate with the right lead bullets (with superior hardness) and load. Here are the hardcast lead bullets I currently use; they are exceptionally hard and very accurate:

http://www.uniqueprecisionbullets.com/

Desert Dude
03-04-2010, 1:17 PM
I also shoot lead from my Glock with the standard barrel. No problems. You can go to glocktalk.com and read everything there is about all the Glocks ever made. However, be forewarned, you will get about 50% who say go ahead and 50% that say don't do it. Just like in here!:D

I've shot 10's of thousands of reloaded lead bullets and never had a kaboom. Almost all problems from reloads come from the guy who reloaded them, not the gun.

dancinzen
03-05-2010, 11:27 AM
So I just bought 2000 military wcc once fired 9mm brass to reload for my new g19. And most if not all the brass I have looked at have a small bulge towards the base of the case( described previously as being shot in an unsupported chamber) . Will this be safe to shoot? When I put them through my resizing dies will it straighten them back up and be ok in a standard g19 barrel?

Z ME FLY
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
It is safe to shoot, don't worry. You just have to be a smart firearm owner and clean your glock. Glocks are super easy to take apart. I would probably just take off the slide and clean the slide and barrel every 100 rounds if shooting lead. I've done it before. Of course they will tell you it's not a good idea to do it because most people would probably overdo it and not clean their gun and shoot a ton of lead from their glock.

Dubels
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM
My friends dad went to the Northridge Firing-Line and he mentioned to the range officer that he's afraid their reload ammo will cause severe damage to his new Glock 23. Range officer told him if their reload ammo causes severe damage then they will buy him a new gun.

But where will they find him a new hand? Just saying if you have doubts stick to your own reloads. I shoot miwall and RMammo reloads with no problems out of my Glock.

So I just bought 2000 military wcc once fired 9mm brass to reload for my new g19. And most if not all the brass I have looked at have a small bulge towards the base of the case( described previously as being shot in an unsupported chamber) . Will this be safe to shoot? When I put them through my resizing dies will it straighten them back up and be ok in a standard g19 barrel?

If you resize all the way then the guppy bulge will go away. I have been reading that dillon dies don't resize the guppy bulge properly but that has been reported mainly in 40 S&W. I know lee dies have no problem with getting rid of the guppy bulge. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5594

duc748bip
03-05-2010, 3:16 PM
If the bit that points forward looks black, it is lead :p

Or Black Talon!! (Winchester SXT ranger ):43:

if the bullet can easily cut, nick, or damage by a key or fingernail then its lead.
P.S. Lead is Toxic so wash your hand afterward ;)

bm-bill
03-05-2010, 3:48 PM
No problem shooting lead, just clean your barrel each trip. I have shot thousands of lead rounds out of my G17 and never had a problem. I have a friend that shot 10s of thousands out of his with no problems either.