PDA

View Full Version : FN Five-seven..??

1 SIG fan
03-03-2010, 5:50 PM
I heard someone talk about it today on the radio. Checked it out... I THINK I'm in love. Apparently on the roster too. Forget the AR pistol (i know totally different). But, calguns search shows NOTHING in search terms for FN, 5.7 five-seven etc.

Anyone have any info or know any used ones avalaible?
Also, how hard is 5.7x28 to aquire? Looks fun!

gearhead15
03-03-2010, 6:39 PM
Accurate, lightweight, and incredibly low recoil. Ammo has been relatively easy to find, although the most common and lowest cost ammo is the blue polymer tipped round (SS197) that lacks the power of the discontinued SS192. I've heard that the current batches of SS195 (the civilian hollow-point round) is so weak it will barely cycle, but I haven't fired any yet. And Elite Ammo sells a selection of hotter rounds for personal defense.

Check out the FN Forum (www.fnforum.net) and the 5.7X28mm forum (www.FiveseveNForum.com) for leads on uses ones and for great info.

Swift Justice
03-03-2010, 6:42 PM
5.7 easy to find all day long at about $19 per box for the regular blue tip stuff in bulk from Cabela's. They are sweet guns - mine is rapidly becoming my favorite and is fighting with my Glock for bedside gun.

Prices hover around $1,000 plus or minus - I paid $830 plus fees for mine but that was on a limited distributor sale (OD green only).

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg304/steves67mini/FNM0128mb.png

jammer2k
03-03-2010, 6:43 PM
There have been a few threads here about it. Have one, it is a nice gun that is very easy to shoot.

joefreas
03-03-2010, 6:48 PM
I have two of the five-sevens and love them. Very low recoil for easy follow up shots. I usually buy bulk ammo from Cabelas, it goes really fast in these guns, for about 45 cents per round. I bought mine all the way down in Murietta. It was the only place I could find them. If you really want one go on gunbroker.com and email sellers to see if they will ship them to Cali. If you are really in a hurry send me a PM and I will look up the place in Murrieta where I got mine or send you a few links from gunbroker. Hope you get one-

joefreas
03-03-2010, 6:49 PM
They also sell a small rifle that shoots the 5.7 round and an AR upper.

Swift Justice
03-03-2010, 7:30 PM
Brings up an interesting question: The FiveSeven is a straight blowback design with no locking system. Given the ballistics of the round, could you design a 5.7 pocket sized pistol with a locked breech? a Ruger LCP-sized pistol firing a 5.7 round would be sweet...

MrSlippyFist
03-03-2010, 7:48 PM
It's a fun one, my favorite. Plenty of threads on the handgun and the cartridge.

Blackhawk556
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
damn ugly gun, but hey if it's reliable and goes bang when you need it then that's what counts

Colt-45
03-03-2010, 10:39 PM
:43: I have one and love it. Some people hate on it by calling it a ".22" which really pisses me off.

El Gato
03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
I heard someone talk about it today on the radio. Checked it out... I THINK I'm in love. Apparently on the roster too. Forget the AR pistol (i know totally different). But, calguns search shows NOTHING in search terms for FN, 5.7 five-seven etc.

Anyone have any info or know any used ones avalaible?
Also, how hard is 5.7x28 to aquire? Looks fun!

have one... accurate enough and low recoil...can't find a reason to keep it ... will be selling it soon...but would make someone a good coyote gun or rabbit gun or whatever... and lead free ammo is easy to obtain...I find I carry my 1911 or glock 20 when roaming and just never felt the need to keep this thing...but alot of people really love them... would be ideal for a woman who has orthopedic issues with the hands and has long thin fingers ... would at least give her a fighting chance if she needed to put paid to a bad guy/gal/thing

El Gato
03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
:43: I have one and love it. Some people hate on it by calling it a ".22" which really pisses me off.

it pisses you off to call a .22 a .22?....:confused:

hmmmm.....
Ok...
but a 5.56 is a .22 as is a 22-250 as is my .22 savage Hi-Power which isn't a 5.7 but really rare and fun...

Colt-45
03-03-2010, 10:45 PM
it pisses you off to call a .22 a .22?....:confused:

hmmmm.....
Ok...
but a 5.56 is a .22 as is a 22-250 as is my .22 savage Hi-Power which isn't a 5.7 but really rare and fun...

Which ever way you put it a 5.7x28 isn't just another .22lr :rolleyes: . I know it's not exactly a man stopper but it's not a .22lr.

leelaw
03-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Which ever way you put it a 5.7x28 isn't just another .22lr :rolleyes: . I know it's not exactly a man stopper but it's not a .22lr.

".22lr" is a cartridge. ".22" is a caliber.

The FN Five-seveN is a .22

Once A Marine
03-03-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm another Five-SeveN owner. I think it's a wonderful handgun. I also have the PS-90.

You can find the 40gr VMax tipped bullets for as low as $16.95/box at Wholesale Hunter from time to time, too!

SVRider
03-04-2010, 7:56 AM
I haven't looked in earnest, but I've heard you can pretty much load with any (of the lighter) .223 bullets. Is this true?

It that's the case, I know the powder charges are really light....you could make a ton of rounds out of 1lb of powder.....

Once A Marine
03-04-2010, 8:07 AM
The 5.7x28 round uses the same .224 bullet as .223/5.56. I've seen them run from 28gr to 55gr, and if I recall correctly, some folks have played around with even heavier loads.

The round is supposed to be a little challenging for reloading (I don't, so I have no clue). You might want to check fnforum.net and/or fivesevenforum.com for more info on reloading/custom loads.

Johansenk
03-04-2010, 9:03 AM
I think it would make a sweet round in some sort of carbine or something. It would smack the hell outta prairie dogs, bunnies and the like. A little bolt action, maybe a lever, or a 10rd mag kinda like a mini 14? I think it would be sweet

Once A Marine
03-04-2010, 9:11 AM
I think it would make a sweet round in some sort of carbine or something. It would smack the hell outta prairie dogs, bunnies and the like. A little bolt action, maybe a lever, or a 10rd mag kinda like a mini 14? I think it would be sweet

There are the PS90s from FNH and the AR-57 uppers.

Johansenk
03-04-2010, 9:15 AM
that's awesome, I was thinking along the lines of a little less tactical version, but an AR in that caliber would also be rad

Army
03-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Out of a pistol, it's nothing more than a glorified .22 Magnum......if that's what you want to stake your life on.

joefrank64k
03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
that's awesome, I was thinking along the lines of a little less tactical version, but an AR in that caliber would also be rad

http://www.57center.com/1.html?sm=60893

I've got two FiveSeven pistols and one AR57 upper...lot's of fun! But...between the 3 20-round mags for the pistol and the 50-round mags for the upper, you go through a lot of ammo! :D

The Dealer Price for 5.7x28 ammo at Grafs is $17.39 for a box of 50.

Like others have said, it's an accurate pistol, extremely low recoil, very ambidextrous (important for me :D)...they've been popping up on the boards lately for abut $950...makes me think I might sell one of mine!

cwiz
03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
my favorite, but bummed u cant get the high power rounds for it anymore, and its way cooler with the 20 rd magazine available everywhere else. shot it in ohio, super accurate. PS90 smg is awesome too (uses same ammo)

maschronic
03-04-2010, 12:48 PM
if you are interested in shooting a FN 5.7, let me know. i shoot at on target in laguna. i might have to bring both of my FN 5.7 out to play. :)

Once A Marine
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM
my favorite, but bummed u cant get the high power rounds for it anymore, and its way cooler with the 20 rd magazine available everywhere else. shot it in ohio, super accurate. PS90 smg is awesome too (uses same ammo)

You can find companies that make their own loads for sale (eliteammunition is one), or can just take the time to learn to roll your own.

SS192 pops up every once in a while also. I was able to snag a couple of cases from an online retailer for a decent price, but they've disappeared again, execpt for private sales.

Shadowdrop
03-04-2010, 1:13 PM
Out of a pistol, it's nothing more than a glorified .22 Magnum......if that's what you want to stake your life on.

They stake the President's life on it.

Army
03-04-2010, 2:01 PM
They stake the President's life on it.
I double dog guarantee there is not a single Secret Service agent that is protecting the President with a PISTOL chambered in the 5.7.

A few MAY have the P90 CARBINE on certain occasions.

.40Cal
03-04-2010, 3:09 PM

It's a bad-***** man stopper. If not, let's not use the AR's too! The 5.7 is a carbine round in a pistol, and most people don't know much about it. It's one bad round! It's very accurate, very low recoil, will fly longer distance & flatter, and when used in full power, will mess up someone's day.... really bad! It's used in Milatary, etc. Do some research.

Ammo, however, is expensive.... otherwise this would be my only handgun (and a 1911, just cuz I love the gun, not the round).

Cpl. Haas
03-04-2010, 3:43 PM
I double dog guarantee there is not a single Secret Service agent that is protecting the President with a PISTOL chambered in the 5.7.

A few MAY have the P90 CARBINE on certain occasions.

More than a few... both the Uniformed Division and Presidential Protective Detail are using the P90... though, to my knowledge, their sidearms are still P229s in .357 Sig.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4278/secretservicek9.jpg
(Here's a P90 w/ Aimpoint sight... no idea what sidearm though)

Swift Justice
03-04-2010, 3:52 PM
I think the lethality question of the 5.7x28 round was answered after the Ft. Hood shooting.

Blade
03-04-2010, 4:24 PM
I heard ballistically that its stopping power was between a 9mm and a .40sw I wish I could find that balistics web link again. A 22lr will hit you like being stabbed with an ice pick, while a 5.7 will tumble and fragment like a hollow point. The 5.7 will travel at speeds near 1800-2200 fps which is closer to rifle cartridges than pistols. The same arguments were heard when the M16 rifle replaced the M14. Small faster bullet vs. a large slower bullet, both have their merits, but in the end by far the biggest advantage is that I can carry 4 times the ammo with a 5.7 than a .45acp....they do look like supped up .22lrs

hammerhands32
03-04-2010, 4:37 PM
like getting hit with a .223 at 300 yards fwiw
http://www.hornady.com/images/ballistics/ballistics_charts.pdf

NicolasP
03-04-2010, 5:50 PM
I have one and like others have said blue tipped ammo is cheap and everywhere. I have shot this gun more than many of my others 2.5-3k rounds. I have a question for any other fiveseven owners; where can we buy replacement barrels? Jarvis offers a threaded barrel, but this is all I can find. Couldn't find OEM ones on the fnh website either. I suppose you could have the Jarvis threads milled out but that costs money and they already want $355 for it. Plus I can't find any reviews. I got this gun a while back with the feeling that it may eventually be made illegal and when that happens I'd like to have a new barrel and some extra mags. Otherwise a good accurate shooter low recoil, very lightweight, and now the prices have dropped to around 900-1000. Check Gunbroker too.

Once A Marine
03-04-2010, 6:44 PM
Give Bob Ailes a call:

Customer Service
Bob Ailes
Customer Support Manager
703-288-3500 ext. 122
roberta@fnhusa.com

1 SIG fan
03-04-2010, 6:57 PM
Give Bob Ailes a call:

Customer Service
Bob Ailes
Customer Support Manager
703-288-3500 ext. 122
roberta@fnhusa.com

ok... why? just for his feedback, or was this directed to a poster with a problamatic pistol?

Once A Marine
03-04-2010, 7:27 PM
ok... why? just for his feedback, or was this directed to a poster with a problamatic pistol?

:confused:
It was meant for the post just above my previous one.

Group B
03-04-2010, 8:28 PM
The round is supposed to be a little challenging for reloading (I don't, so I have no clue). You might want to check fnforum.net and/or fivesevenforum.com for more info on reloading/custom loads.

I heard that the FNH ammo has a polymer coating on the brass cases, to ease extraction/ejection of the spent shell casings, due to the 5.7x28 case having no taper.

I don't know if the polymer coating remains after the cartridge is fired.

Once A Marine
03-04-2010, 9:05 PM
I heard that the FNH ammo has a polymer coating on the brass cases, to ease extraction/ejection of the spent shell casings, due to the 5.7x28 case having no taper.

From what I've recall reading, it stays for a few loads, but eventually wears off.

dchang0
03-04-2010, 9:09 PM
Any SoCal ranges rent out 5.7 pistols?

KillZone45
03-04-2010, 9:13 PM
I was thinking about trading my XD .45 for one but what made me keep the XD amongst other reasons was if SHTF I just cant walk into any sporting store and buy 5.7 ammo.

SASchnell
03-04-2010, 9:15 PM
I was at bass pro shops in Manteca today had one in my hot little hand. Can't decide on the five seven or sig p229 equinox. I'm leaning towards the sig.

Once A Marine
03-04-2010, 9:43 PM
I was thinking about trading my XD .45 for one but what made me keep the XD amongst other reasons was if SHTF I just cant walk into any sporting store and buy 5.7 ammo.

I keep a good amount on hand. I like the fact that if I need to bug out, I can carry quite a bit of 5.7 in those itty bitty boxes.

1 SIG fan
03-05-2010, 12:01 AM
SAS. That's an ez one. Obviouslly the sig... However 31 days then the FN :)

cwiz
03-05-2010, 9:07 AM
The 5.7 round was developed by FN for NATO as a body armor piercing, low recoil round. It's no .22lr or magnum, gentelmen.

Pretty much designed from the ground up to take on enemies in body armor, period. the bullet is narrow, easy to control, and really fast (in its original, full strength variety) and doesnt apologize for it. Want to take out an engine block? use an AK... the 5.7 wasnt designed for that.

I guess the effectiveness of the lower power ammo could be called into question. I dont know what type of ammo was (unfortunately) used at Ft. Hood

NicolasP
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info on replacement barrels.

gearhead15
03-05-2010, 3:56 PM
I have one and like others have said blue tipped ammo is cheap and everywhere. I have shot this gun more than many of my others 2.5-3k rounds. I have a question for any other fiveseven owners; where can we buy replacement barrels? Jarvis offers a threaded barrel, but this is all I can find. Couldn't find OEM ones on the fnh website either. I suppose you could have the Jarvis threads milled out but that costs money and they already want $355 for it. Plus I can't find any reviews. I got this gun a while back with the feeling that it may eventually be made illegal and when that happens I'd like to have a new barrel and some extra mags. Otherwise a good accurate shooter low recoil, very lightweight, and now the prices have dropped to around 900-1000. Check Gunbroker too.

The factory barrels are good for over 20,000 rounds with the hottest factory loads, you should be good to go for a while.

duc748bip
03-05-2010, 5:18 PM
The problem is that because of that notoriety all civilian load are weaker then that is capable with the 5.7

Since no more mail order ammo in 2011.. any store in socal that stock EliteAmmo?

But the big question is is 5.7 a rifle round or pistol?:rolleyes:

The 5.7 round was developed by FN for NATO as a body armor piercing, low recoil round. It's no .22lr or magnum, gentelmen.

Pretty much designed from the ground up to take on enemies in body armor, period. the bullet is narrow, easy to control, and really fast (in its original, full strength variety) and doesnt apologize for it. Want to take out an engine block? use an AK... the 5.7 wasnt designed for that.

I guess the effectiveness of the lower power ammo could be called into question. I dont know what type of ammo was (unfortunately) used at Ft. Hood

Once A Marine
03-05-2010, 6:03 PM
The problem is that because of that notoriety all civilian load are weaker then that is capable with the 5.7

Since no more mail order ammo in 2011.. any store in socal that stock EliteAmmo?

Your questions shall be rendered moot shortly when AB962 gets shot down anyway :)

Swift Justice
03-05-2010, 7:16 PM

Yes.:yes:

run8
03-05-2010, 7:30 PM
It's a great hand gun, you'll love it.

MrSlippyFist
03-08-2010, 9:46 AM

The coating is for the rounds moving thru the P90 mags. I've got brass that's been loaded 4-5 times that still has a substantial amount of coating left, efficient enough to function in said mags. It takes quite a bit of tumbling or some unorthodox treatment to take that gunk off.

Group B
03-08-2010, 10:55 AM
The coating is for the rounds moving thru the P90 mags. I've got brass that's been loaded 4-5 times that still has a substantial amount of coating left, efficient enough to function in said mags. It takes quite a bit of tumbling or some unorthodox treatment to take that gunk off.

Actually, we're both right (from wikipedia):

FN's 5.7x28mm brass cases are covered with a special polymer coating for easier extraction with the PS90 carbine due to the high chamber pressures and lack of case tapering. In addition, the coating ensures proper feeding and function in the magazines.