PDA

View Full Version : Noveske 14.5" range report....

Evo
03-03-2010, 5:41 PM
After cleaning throughly and re-lubing liberally with Slip2000 I took my new baby to Angeles for her first day of school.
http://www.evingrant.com/pics/Phoebe.jpg

I only had an hour or so so I only shot 60 rounds of cheap PMC 55gr. They seemed to be pretty on at 50 with the iron sights and red dot but I forgot the spotting scope so no zero this trip.
http://www.evingrant.com/pics/NotBad.jpg

I did however have three failures to feed. Here are the rounds...
http://www.evingrant.com/pics/FTF.jpg

I was using brand new 10/20 Pmags so I'm assuming they just need a little time to break in before the FTFs go away completely? Or is there a certain amount of FTFs that are reasonable or normal for an AR? I know this is cheap ammo and this is also my first build, if you couldn't tell already:chris:

tomd1584
03-03-2010, 6:08 PM
you wasted 60 rounds and didnt get it zeroed??

great gun, BTW>

Trendkill
03-03-2010, 6:13 PM
There's a lot goin wrong here. You should have a nice tight group at 50 yards....and three MALFS out of 60 rounds is horrible.

Dont wanna sugar coat it for ya....just sayin the truth.

Rifle looks sweet though.

aplinker
03-03-2010, 6:19 PM
I'm not real impressed by 10/20 magpul feeding.

But....

60rds is just not enough to say. Shoot it some more.

A coarse zero is easy. Shoot out about 200yds and adjust to the "poof"

slipangle
03-03-2010, 6:25 PM
That looks more like short stroking. If the BCG isn't getting enough gas to clear the back of the cartridge, it'll look like that. But 3/60 seems like it would just be part of the break-in process for a "tight" rifle.

bear308
03-03-2010, 6:32 PM
just did one of these without the rail, actually I spun an old A2 upper on it). I had a couple short strokes in the first few mags. Shot it a bunch since with no issues. Sight it in. Angeles will rent you a scope, don't remember how much but it's cheaper than a wasted trip.

evolixsurf
03-03-2010, 6:36 PM
If I were you, I would shoot some black hills out of it right away to break it in... Its a great round thats not to pricey and you will know exactly how your rifle should be functioning... Breaking in a tight chamber would be nice with BH's. Try a different mag too... Idk what yours has but mine are bushmasters with magpul follower... seems to be the best setup.

Evo
03-03-2010, 6:39 PM
I had fun and wasn't really trying since I couldn't see the little holes without something telescopic. I'll bring out the spotting scope, rear bag and some better ammo and probably be zeroed in 3. It worked for my 5R. I am thinking I want something telescopic on top though. We'll see.

Evo
03-03-2010, 7:04 PM
If I were you, I would shoot some black hills out of it right away to break it in... Its a great round thats not to pricey and you will know exactly how your rifle should be functioning... Breaking in a tight chamber would be nice with BH's. Try a different mag too... Idk what yours has but mine are bushmasters with magpul follower... seems to be the best setup.

Is the remanufactured Black Hills any good or should I just go new?
What about that Lake City 5.56 on the strippers clips at Ammoman?

evolixsurf
03-03-2010, 7:08 PM
Blue box (once fired) is usually flawless... You get some good Lake city brass too...

aplinker
03-03-2010, 7:19 PM
I wouldn't waste BH to break in a rifle.

XM193 is the gold standard for blasting.

Once you get it dialed in, then start shooting BH or get some Prvi 75gr.