PDA

View Full Version : midlength or carbine

juelz919
03-03-2010, 4:04 PM
Yes I did a search and read multiple threads..
I'm just wondering if midlength is really any better than carbine... And if so does bcm make a midlength

I know the basic difference but is the reliability difference real or just talk..

THT
03-03-2010, 4:14 PM
Midlength, at the very least, gives you a longer sight radius. Smoother recoil impulse as well. And yes, BCM does make a middy.

Call_me_Tom
03-03-2010, 4:34 PM
What is midlength...18"?

mala in se
03-03-2010, 4:42 PM
What is midlength...18"?

nah, there are 16" middys out there as well. it is the length of the gas tube is longer. middy gas systems will have a softer recoil, longer sight radius, and potentially will be easier on the internals. it is supposed to be more reliable, but i have a 16" carbine that shoots like a champ and has been 100% reliable. ARs in general are pretty damn reliable if built correctly.

juelz919
03-03-2010, 4:42 PM
I'm referring to the midlength gas system on a 16" barrel
Idk what a 18" is called

Seesm
03-03-2010, 4:43 PM
I have a 16 inch mid and a few carbines and I like them all... but like the carbines look better..

pyro3k2
03-03-2010, 4:44 PM
I'm referring to the midlength gas system on a 16" barrel
Idk what a 18" is called

intermediate lenght

dakobster81
03-03-2010, 5:05 PM
go middy if you do a 16 in. barrel, do a carbine if its a 14.5 in barrel, it doesnt matter either way, you already caught the disease, you'll end up getting both:D

Paradiddle
03-03-2010, 5:10 PM
recoil impulse is much softer in a mid-length or rifle length gas system - which makes for faster follow ups. I think it becomes more important if you compete in 3 gun or fight zombies for a living.

juelz919
03-03-2010, 5:19 PM
Dakobster your right.. I'm about to buy a lower and build a second one now.. that's why I'm asking lol.. but I have a carbine length 16" now and it barely recoils as is.. I like the car look much better.. but I do have a carbine length already so idk.. this is why this is so addicting.. I have one and love it so want a better version, than I will want a middy next thing you know I'll have six

DougJ
03-03-2010, 5:30 PM
I built a 16" mid-length and it shoots very nice, very little recoil, hardly any muzzle rise, smooth and 100% reliable with anything I've fed it so far.

Me likey.

NapaCountyShooter
03-03-2010, 5:32 PM
If you already have the 16" carbine, go for the 20" target gun. You'll have the best of both worlds.

Noah3683
03-03-2010, 6:05 PM
BCM middy

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/noah3683/STH70392.jpg

Trendkill
03-03-2010, 6:10 PM
Just FYI....BCM is going to be introducing a 14.5 in Middy to their stable of fine uppers.

aplinker
03-03-2010, 6:15 PM
Yes I did a search and read multiple threads..
I'm just wondering if midlength is really any better than carbine... And if so does bcm make a midlength

I know the basic difference but is the reliability difference real or just talk..

Statistically significant higher rates of failure of the carbine vs. rifle is real - that's the only place we have any good idea of statistics (military).

The best "statistic" I've heard is a big .mil armorer sees about a 20% failure rate for M4 bolts, while one or two M16 bolts have failed during their career.

If you understand the "basic difference" beyond the "two inches" idea, then you should understand why they're better.

Yes, BCM makes one. That's why BCM is so highly popular - no one else made a full-spec mid-length.

You must not have searched very hard. Both Randall and I have typed out the full explanation numerous times. You should read through his operation explanation on his website.

The primary differences are:
-longer sight radius for improved accuracy
-longer handguard for more forward hand hold (better stability)
-longer time to beginning bleeding of gases (lower pressure, more time for casing to shrink) and more correct dwell time (time gases are operating on action)
-less violent on action (can reduce reciprocal mass, lower recoil, higher reliability)
-Can properly mount a bayonet on a 16" rifle (charge!)

Best of all, the change is free, as all it requires is a change in port location and 2" longer of a gas tube.

Capt Jack
03-03-2010, 7:43 PM
What he said...

And just because, here's my middy. My only AR and I love it! RRA lower on a CMMG upper with a 15.5" 1/7 barrel and flash hider to make it legal of course!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/img144-2.jpg

The only issue is the lack of options for the handguard as there are way more carbine options, but its not that big a deal to me. Besides, Magpul is finally supposed to release their Middy MOE handguard this summer and that will probably work just fine for me. :D

Noah3683
03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes, BCM makes one. That's why BCM is so highly popular - no one else made a full-spec mid-length.

This is no longer true as DD also makes one

eaglemike
03-03-2010, 10:29 PM
PK Firearms was selling mid-lengths, Sabre barrel w/DD M4 rail. (maybe still are) It's a SWEET setup.
all the best,
Mike

Trendkill
03-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Thats why he said "Made".....it suggests past tense.

juelz919
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Aplinker I googled it (calguns search feature doesn't like me) and read thru 10+ threads on a few different websites and got all the major points you mentioned. Its just I was hearing a lot of non factual stuff ( for example "my friends carbine did this my middy is running strong etc.") And I just wanted to see if the difference was being exaggerated..
I suspect the only option will be to get both..

FMJBT
03-03-2010, 11:09 PM
PK Firearms was selling mid-lengths, Sabre barrel w/DD M4 rail. (maybe still are) It's a SWEET setup.
all the best,
Mike

PK still has some Sabre mid lengths in stock, both stainless and chrome lined barrels. Sabre makes a great barrel for the money. I used one of their stripped 14.5" mid lengths on this one:

http://forums.hybridz.org/uploads/1267067193/med_gallery_207_725_82423.jpg

I only have about 100 rounds through it so far, but not a single malfunction to date. Recoil impulse is noticeably softer than the M-4's we use at work.