PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 185-series Mini-14 Stock?

KPSFO
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi All,

This is my first post on Calguns.net. I've been reading the threads for a while now and I am impressed that generally speaking, what I've read is helpful and not too politically toxic. Both of those are big plusses for any shooting organization in my book.

I'm a paper target guy with a very mild case of the collector bug for military-style centerfire rifles. I just ordered an Accu-Strut for my Mini-14 and I am thinking about getting a better stock for it than the one it came with - the buttplate is curved, and while I have a finely-developed appreciation for that in the women around me, it doesn't serve me well when I'm trying to retain a consistent shooting position. Something that would reduce the amount of movement and increase accuracy would of course be a plus. I've heard Hogue and Butler Creek recommended but it appears that some of these stocks are only for newer models . . .

Any recommendations / experience / thoughts?

Thanks,
KP

QuarterBoreGunner
03-03-2010, 1:32 PM
Moved to the centerfire rifle forum; you'll probably get more traffic and a better response here.

dfletcher
03-03-2010, 3:10 PM
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

Go down the page about 3/4 way. I bought the #8 a few years back, will finished and simple.

KPSFO
03-03-2010, 6:23 PM
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

Go down the page about 3/4 way. I bought the #8 a few years back, will finished and simple.

Thanks - How did you determine which of these was okay for older Minis? Also, was your choice purely cosmetic (i.e. you like a wood stock), or was there a performance consideration?

KPSFO
03-03-2010, 6:32 PM
I like the Hogue. If you want the ultimate CA legal mini 14 stock, go with the CA legal version of the SCAR CQB stock. It costs more than the rifle though:eek:

Awesome-looking, but I'm not planning to hang any hardware on it and that stock runs five-plus bills, which I'd prefer to put toward an ACOG for my shiny new Robinson XCR, or an IOR for my M1A, both of which shoot a LOT straighter than my ranch rifle. Thanks for the suggestion tho'.

dfletcher
03-03-2010, 6:54 PM
Thanks - How did you determine which of these was okay for older Minis? Also, was your choice purely cosmetic (i.e. you like a wood stock), or was there a performance consideration?

Not sure on how to determine if it fits, mine is a series 197 Mini Ranch rifle in 5.56. I bought this one because my other stock is a factory folder and I can't use it in CA. I had to do a little fitting but it was all done with hand tools - small chisel, wood carving tools and I really don't know if I had to do that because technically the 197 isn't supposed to fit this stock or if it was just normal final fitting. It was fairly easy.

I also bought it because at the time it cost only $129.00 and I shoot left handed and I like the brown wood laminate. I attached an Enfield sniper repro cheekpiece for a solid cheek weld when using a scope.

I just got the rifle back from Accuracy Systems and their 100 yd target has a .54" test target group so it seems like a good, solid stock.

KPSFO
03-04-2010, 1:29 AM
Not sure on how to determine if it fits, mine is a series 197 Mini Ranch rifle in 5.56. I bought this one because my other stock is a factory folder and I can't use it in CA. I had to do a little fitting but it was all done with hand tools - small chisel, wood carving tools and I really don't know if I had to do that because technically the 197 isn't supposed to fit this stock or if it was just normal final fitting. It was fairly easy.

I also bought it because at the time it cost only $129.00 and I shoot left handed and I like the brown wood laminate. I attached an Enfield sniper repro cheekpiece for a solid cheek weld when using a scope.

I just got the rifle back from Accuracy Systems and their 100 yd target has a .54" test target group so it seems like a good, solid stock.

That's pretty impressive - thanks for the tips, I was thinking about a synthetic but maybe I'll reconsider!