PDA

View Full Version : AK/Saiga Question

Chuntsman949
03-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Hey guys,

sorry for the crappy thread I have used search and cant find an exact answer.

I am going to purchase a Saiga and I want to either ad a pistol grip or skeleton stock.... just to confirm all I need to be compliant is a bullet button correct?

Z ME FLY
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Someone might chime in but did you use this search?

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=018149931542195181678:pzxbzjzh1zk

That is a lot better than the normal one we have and you might be able to find your answer. Or at least look up some info when you need it next time.

Rekrab
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM
No, you also need to make sure that you're 922(r) compliant.

If you want to do the full AK conversion I believe you'll also need a trigger group and something else. Can't recall off the top of my head.

Chuntsman949
03-03-2010, 11:14 AM
thanks diddnt know about the other search!

Rekrab
03-03-2010, 11:23 AM
The other search has its drawbacks too, but it should always be your first option if you get nothing on the regular search.

Philthy
03-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Here's a checklist for 922r compliance.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

C_1
03-03-2010, 1:08 PM
Adding a pistol grip requires you to lock the mag. And if you convert it, it needs to be 922r compliant with the correct amount of US parts. Get a US pistol grip, US stock, and modified Tapco G2 trigger group. The conversion is pretty easy and requires only basic tools.

But if you arent comfortable doing it yourself, they're are people and gun shops who can do the Saiga pistol grip conversion for you. I would recommend PRK Arms in Fresno. They do the conversion the right way by welding the holes up and refinishing the whole gun. Check em out..

SJgunguy24
03-03-2010, 1:25 PM
If you want a pistol grip or a skeleton stock then a mag locking device must be used.

922r compliance items are only needed with a pistol grip. The Saiga is imported with a skeleton style stock. No compliance items needed in that configuration execpt for the Cali mag lock.

Chuntsman949
03-03-2010, 1:31 PM
thanks guys, this is why cal guns rocks! so just to clarify if i add the skeleton stock i will need a bullet button only correct? if so does the Saiga 12 bullet button at rifle gear work on the 7.62, I saw those at rifle gear

IsaacGlass
03-03-2010, 1:37 PM
thanks guys, this is why cal guns rocks! so just to clarify if i add the skeleton stock i will need a bullet button only correct? if so does the Saiga 12 bullet button at rifle gear work on the 7.62, I saw those at rifle gear

Do you have a link to the pistol/skeleton stock you had in mind?

Chuntsman949
03-03-2010, 1:41 PM
http://www.smartwareetc.com/product.php?productid=551537

I wont be buying from these guys but this is the stock in question its the RAA skeleton stock

and I am open to suggestions if you guys have any.

C_1
03-03-2010, 1:43 PM
If its the OEM Saiga skeleton stock, then a conversion is not needed, and all you would need to do is lock the mag. I think Raddlock's AK mag lock is the only one that works on an unconverted Saiga.

But if you plan on using a skeleton stock like the ACE, Tromix, DPH Arms or MS Arms, then there is quite a bit more work involved..

69Mach1
03-03-2010, 1:54 PM
An Assault Planet Saiga lock works fine also.

stix213
03-03-2010, 1:55 PM
If you want a pistol grip or a skeleton stock then a mag locking device must be used.

922r compliance items are only needed with a pistol grip. The Saiga is imported with a skeleton style stock. No compliance items needed in that configuration execpt for the Cali mag lock.

^^^ This is correct. The skeleton stock that the Saiga can be imported with, such as mine in my sig pic, is legally a "thumbhole stock" and is still considered sporting per 922r, though some aftermarket skeleton stocks may be considered pistol grips depending on design. Only unsporting features such as a pistol grip trigger the need for compliance parts (such as my forward vertical grip and bipod which are legally unsporting)