PDA

View Full Version : Question about Rock River Arms legality - Please help

twinjetguy
03-03-2010, 9:23 AM
Hey guys,

I apologize ahead of time if this is a noob question. I tried searching, and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have heard conflicting opinions about RRA and their legality. Person A told me that they are banned by the name of the rifle, so if the name on the lower is different than what is on the list, it is legal.

Person B told me that they are banned by configuration and they are the only rifle on the list that is done by configuration. Person B also went on to say that as long as I don't have a RRA upper connected to my lower, I am fine.

I can see how both opinions can be interpreted. For the record, my RRA lower was recently purchased legally (duh). I bought it and a KD Machine lower at the same time. After hearing all this, I wish I would have just bought two KD lowers.

Can you guys help shed some light on this for me?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/twinjetguy/BanList.gif

technique
03-03-2010, 9:27 AM
Person B is correct....

Just find another brand upper, you'll be fine.

twinjetguy
03-03-2010, 9:36 AM
You gotta love the fast replies on here! I know I am preaching to the choir when I say this, but CA guns laws can be so damn frustrating!

So just to be 100% clear, I can put my Del Ton 20 inch upper on my RRA lower, and put my RRA upper on my KD Machine lower and everything is perfectly legal? Like I said, wish I would have just bought 2 KD lowers instead of 1 RRA and 1 KD. Hindsight is always 20/20.

technique
03-03-2010, 9:39 AM
Do that and you will be fine.

It's warned that a RRA Lower and RRA Upper combined is risking making one of those "configurations".

So yeah, put your DT on your RRA lower, you're GTG!

bm-bill
03-03-2010, 9:43 AM
You gotta love the fast replie on here! I know I am preaching to the choir when I say this, but CA guns laws can be so damn frustrating!

So just to be 100% clear, I can put my Del Ton 20 inch upper on my RRA lower, and put my RRA upper on my KD Machine lower and everything is perfectly legal? Like I said, wish I would have just bought 2 KD lowers instead of 1 RRA and 1 KD. Hindsight is always 20/20.

That is correct. Just use your Del Ton on your RRA lower and you will be fine.

Make sure you follow the OLL rules and build either a MMG or a bullet button type build.

twinjetguy
03-03-2010, 9:44 AM
I might have a RRA lower for sale soon, lol. Then again I might just keep it and buy another KD lower.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/twinjetguy/Frustration.gif

twinjetguy
03-03-2010, 9:45 AM
That is one thing I do know for sure. I have Raddlocks on all of my AR builds.

Jwood562
03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
really? why does it matter what upper you have on a RRA lower?

As long as it is an LAR-15 lower (OLL) what does it matter what upper you have on it as long you comply with the legalities such as BB and 10rd mag?

To the OP: I will buy your RRA lower if the price is right

twinjetguy
03-03-2010, 10:18 AM

As long as it is an LAR-15 lower (OLL) what does it matter what upper you have on it as long you comply with the legalities such as BB and 10rd mag?

Jwood,

That is exactly what Person A and I thought! My lower is in fact the LAR-15 lower. Person B did say it's a huge gray area, and I tend to agree with him. Last thing I want is for any LEO thinking I have a listed lower.

As for selling the lower, I will put you at the top of the list if I decide to sell it. I am in the San Diego area.

ap3572001
03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
You CAN HAVE it all RRA. BUT ONLY IF WHAT YOU HAVE IS NOT BANNED BY MODEL.

technique
03-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Because as said above...RRA is listed by configuration. It's a weird one, different from other "listed" guns.

While the lower is not listed if you use all RRA parts you may build something that resembles what RRA sells as a complete...one of those complete gun configurations could be a "listed configuration"...

Grakken
03-03-2010, 10:28 AM
I might have a RRA lower for sale soon, lol. Then again I might just keep it and buy another KD lower.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/twinjetguy/Frustration.gif

Now i'm really frustrated!

technique
03-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Now i'm really frustrated!

Then go look for the real one....
I have the gif. where she finishes and you see the boobies....:cool2:

twinjetguy
03-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Then go look for the real one....
I have the gif. where she finishes and you see the boobies....:cool2:

I saw that gif when I found the one I posted. The one where she finishes almost looks like it was photoshopped or faked. Strange I tell ya'.

Back to the topic, I am glad I asked about all of this. Seems like there are a few people on either side of the fence. Like "Person B" said, it's a huge gray area. A bunch of crap if you ask me!

Grakken
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Bill had this to say re the issue.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=141885

CHS
03-03-2010, 11:11 AM
It's a case of being legally right, but it's risky. Legally, no RRA is actually listed. But, is it worth the court fight to you?

PIRATE14
03-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Ya....there aren't any listed configurations.....

I wouldn't worry about it......if the state had issues with the Rock Rivers we would of heard about long ago.....

If a LEO is gonna confiscate ur weapon....don't think what it is will really matter...

ke6guj
03-03-2010, 11:16 AM
It's a case of being legally right, but it's risky. Legally, no RRA is actually listed. But, is it worth the court fight to you?

THIS. Since the OP already bought a RRA lower, he has to deal with the BS of "listed configurations", but whenever a friend asks me about OLLs, I tell don't get a RRA lower. Why bother when there a dozens of other brands that will work just as fine and don't have that "configuration" issue.

twinjetguy
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
THIS. Since the OP already bought a RRA lower, he has to deal with the BS of "listed configurations", but whenever a friend asks me about OLLs, I tell don't get a RRA lower. Why bother when there a dozens of other brands that will work just as fine and don't have that "configuration" issue.

It's just a case of I should have done a bit more homework before I purchased the RRA lower. I originally bought it with the intent that if I ever decide to resell it, it would be worth more than other brands. The real kick in the crapper is that the KD's were selling for only $99 and the RRA was $159. Despite the fact that my RRA LAR-15 lower is 100% CA legal, it's a shame that it has that stigma attached to it.

Oh well, schtuff happens. I will just install my DT upper on the RRA lower and call it a day. Probably going to pick up another KD or two though :D

Thanks for all the replies everyone. As usual, Calguns has been a huge help. I'm also really glad that there was no flaming, arguing, or people acting like know it alls (never cool). Just a friendly thread with people helping each other out and sharing info.

Jwood562
03-03-2010, 12:24 PM
wow I learned something new. I just never knew or thought about the configuration part of it.

I mean sh*t I'm a LEO and if I saw a RRA LAR-15 I would only think OLL (as long as it was configured correctly).

I understand what everyone says that a mis-informed LEO may cause headaches for some and legally you could be in the right but as stated above it could be an expensive/long court fight. Oh well

CHS
03-03-2010, 1:00 PM
Oh well, schtuff happens. I will just install my DT upper on the RRA lower and call it a day. Probably going to pick up another KD or two though :D

JD :)

KD doesn't exist anymore.

swerv512
03-03-2010, 1:32 PM
If a LEO is gonna confiscate ur weapon....don't think what it is will really matter...

^^^
:iagree:
The LEO taking your firearm probably doesnt know the difference, that's the DA's job. Personally, if the model aint on the list then it's good-to-go. I'd think that CA DOJ would be all over the FFLs if they were selling/transferring banned lowers to the public, wouldnt you...

twinjetguy
03-03-2010, 6:06 PM
JD :)

KD doesn't exist anymore.

On the contrary the FFL that I purchased my KD from has about 150 of them left! So while KD might not exist anymore, there are still some floating around for $99 :D

AK4me
03-03-2010, 6:11 PM
Person B is correct....

Just find another brand upper, you'll be fine.

this is why my RRA upper is sitting on my spikes lower and my spikes upper is sitting on my RRA lower.:D