PDA

View Full Version : Why would I NOT want a Muzzle Brake?

surfNshoot
03-03-2010, 9:06 AM
So I put a surefire mb556k muzzle brake on my Ar15 and absolutely love it. I am now considering puting one (MB762SS01/MB762SSAL/RE) on my 700pss in .308. Other than the weight and how loud it is what are the disadvantages to having one? Just trying to make an informed decision here. Thanks for your help.

Also, who knows the difference between MB762SS01 and MB762SSAL/RE?

LEOLEO
03-03-2010, 9:10 AM
Mine just keep the threads clean when I'm not using "The Can."

technique
03-03-2010, 9:19 AM
If you shoot with other people it can be very distracting to them.
I was doing entry drills with a friend that has the SF MB556K, I was very distracted. It seemed like he was closer to me than he really was. I could feel the blast from the sides on my face/head...He was more than 1-2ft. from me.

It's also loud. I made him put his can on.

I was thinking about doing a MB on a 11.5in. build. With my particular suppressor, the MB helps with wear and tear on the blast baffle. Usually it's opposite with most MFGs. But weighing the pros and cons...I would rather do a FH because I do a lot of shooting on a line in close proximity to others or in other environments close to people.

In short, I don't see a MB as being a benefit on a 5.56 with the low recoil anyway.

dchang0
03-03-2010, 9:20 AM
Sometimes adding a muzzle brake can mess with the harmonics of the barrel and dramatically reduce accuracy. A friend saw his rifle go from 2MOA to 10MOA groups after he added an FSC556. Removing the FSC556 returned the rifle's accuracy. No, the FSC556 wasn't loose--he had it snugly mounted with a crush washer.

surfNshoot
03-03-2010, 9:24 AM
sorry, I edited the post but the rifle I want to add a MB to is a .308

If you shoot with other people it can be very distracting to them.
I was doing entry drills with a friend that has the SF MB556K, I was very distracted. It seemed like he was closer to me than he really was. I could feel the blast from the sides on my face/head...He was more than 1-2ft. from me.

It's also loud. I made him put his can on.

I was thinking about doing a MB on a 11.5in. build. With my particular suppressor, the MB helps with wear and tear on the blast baffle. Usually it's opposite with most MFGs. But weighing the pros and cons...I would rather do a FH because I do a lot of shooting on a line in close proximity to others or in other environments close to people.

In short, I don't see a MB as being a benefit on a 5.56 with the low recoil anyway.

technique
03-03-2010, 9:25 AM
No, the FSC556 wasn't loose--he had it snugly mounted with a crush washer.

Not that it would make a diff or anything ~ at least not that I can say for sure,
The FSC556 is to me mounted with a peal washer not a crush washer...

Henry Hill
03-03-2010, 9:26 AM
Sometimes adding a muzzle brake can mess with the harmonics of the barrel and dramatically reduce accuracy. A friend saw his rifle go from 2MOA to 10MOA groups after he added an FSC556. Removing the FSC556 returned the rifle's accuracy. No, the FSC556 wasn't loose--he had it snugly mounted with a crush washer.

:confused: I've never heard this before... Was thinking about getting this brake in the future too ..

technique
03-03-2010, 9:26 AM
sorry, I edited the post but the rifle I want to add a MB to is a .308

Got ya...go for it. Check accuracy before and after.

EBR Works
03-03-2010, 9:33 AM
I have them on several rifles. I have a Miculek unit on an AR 308 and I can easily see point of impact on steel at distances out to 1000 yards. I tried shooting it without the brake and the increased recoil limited my ability to see the POI. There was no change in accuracy. I put the brake back on.

surfNshoot
03-03-2010, 9:54 AM
I have them on several rifles. I have a Miculek unit on an AR 308 and I can easily see point of impact on steel at distances out to 1000 yards. I tried shooting it without the brake and the increased recoil limited my ability to see the POI. There was no change in accuracy. I put the brake back on.

This is the exact reason I am leaning towards it. The rifle takes a pretty good jump and I don't have a spotter most of the time.

Agro
03-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I've heard good things about the mb556k as well. I want to remove my FH And put a MB on my SPR'ish build. I see other MB's that have threads on the back of them for attaching a suppressor. Is that a different MB? Or somehow a collar that can be added?

technique
03-03-2010, 10:08 AM
I've heard good things about the mb556k as well. I want to remove my FH And put a MB on my SPR'ish build. I see other MB's that have threads on the back of them for attaching a suppressor. Is that a different MB? Or somehow a collar that can be added?

That's OPS. That would be the correct "SPR/MK12" MB...they have a contract with US/Canadian military for those cans.

But so does Surefire/AAC/Gemtech/KAC...for other weapons.

ArkinDomino
03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I had the opportunity to try out a KAC SR15 upper with a Triple tap and that thing was amazing. It really does make it feel like a .22 :eek:

ar15barrels
03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Other than the weight and how loud it is what are the disadvantages to having one?

Debris.

ar15barrels
03-03-2010, 10:25 AM
The FSC556 is to me mounted with a peal washer not a crush washer...

FSC's have been shipped with both crush washers and peel washers.
These are not suppressor mounts so it does not matter.

Suppressor mounts should only be installed with perfectly flat shims to be sure the mount is straight to the barrel.

ArkinDomino
03-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Debris.

Yeah I hated it when I got Doritos all over my face. :mad:

ar15barrels
03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Yeah I hated it when I got Doritos all over my face. :mad:

:rofl2:

Why did you have Doritos on the bench?

ArkinDomino
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
:rofl2:

Why did you have Doritos on the bench?

I didn't....

One of the nimrods I was shooting with had spilled a giant bag of Doritos while I was doing my best Costa impression doing urban prone. Many of the chips were obliterated by the blast and were sent all over my face and hair :mad:

ar15barrels
03-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I didn't....

One of the nimrods I was shooting with had spilled a giant bag of Doritos while I was doing my best Costa impression doing urban prone. Many of the chips were obliterated by the blast and were sent all over my face and hair :mad:

oh, you need to stop shooting with nimrods.
And put down a blast mat. ;)

surfNshoot
03-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Just thought about this... What about shooting competitions? Any restrictions?

esskay
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Debris.

Yep, the key downsides of a MB I see are:
* kicks up debris/dust/etc, particularly from prone
* sucks for mates closeby
* lack of flash suppression if that matters to you

ar15barrels
03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Just thought about this... What about shooting competitions? Any restrictions?

Muzzle brakes need to be less than 3" long and smaller than 1" in diameter in tactical/limited classes.
If your muzzle brake is bigger than that, they bump you into open class.

Argonaut
03-03-2010, 11:51 AM
The bigest downside is NOISE

surfNshoot
03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Well.. Crap!! do they gauge this by where the actual break starts on the unit or the whole thing. the Surefire is 4 .185 inches so that would bump me into the open class?

Muzzle brakes need to be less than 3" long and smaller than 1" in diameter in tactical/limited classes.
If your muzzle brake is bigger than that, they bump you into open class.

ar15barrels
03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
do they gauge this by where the actual break starts on the unit or the whole thing.

The whole thing.
You can have a 3" brake with 2.5" of ports and it's limited class legal.
You can have a 3.1" brake with 1" of ports and you are in open class.

surfNshoot
03-03-2010, 12:11 PM
The whole thing.
You can have a 3" brake with 2.5" of ports and it's limited class legal.
You can have a 3.1" brake with 1" of ports and you are in open class.

well thats lame!!! Should be from where the ports start to the end. Now I might have to consider another option here.

killshot44
03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
I had the opportunity to try out a KAC SR15 upper with a Triple tap and that thing was amazing.

Anyone recommend something that works like the Triple Tap that doesn't cost $400? Randall?

ar15barrels
03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Anyone recommend something that works like the Triple Tap that doesn't cost $400?

There is no more effective muzzle brake than a JP Recoil Eliminator.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_452015120_1.jpg

surfNshoot
03-03-2010, 12:49 PM
None Uglier as well!!!!

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_452015120_1.jpg

ar15barrels
03-03-2010, 12:51 PM
None Uglyer as well!!!!

Some people choose function over form.
Other people worry about how things look more than how they work...

EBR Works
03-03-2010, 12:59 PM

Isn't a problem for me. That's why I drove all the way from Ventura county to have you work on my barrel, despite your appearance. ;)

surfNshoot
03-03-2010, 1:02 PM

Agreed. Im just saying.

shanecrosby
03-16-2010, 8:00 AM
This is the exact reason I am leaning towards it. The rifle takes a pretty good jump and I don't have a spotter most of the time.

Your PSS jumps??? lol My LTR JUMPSSSS..... haha. j/k Diggity

dfletcher
03-16-2010, 8:27 AM
The Badger FTE is supposed to be very good as is their Thruster. I have this:
http://www.opsinc.us/photo.php@photoId=brake.30.02.jpg.html

on an FN SPR and I guess it works, really don't notice much difference.

I think the best brake out there, similar to the JP, is whateverthehell Armalite puts on their AR30. I had one in 338 LM, the gun has virtually no recoil.

Chach
03-18-2010, 1:05 AM
I had the opportunity to try out a KAC SR15 upper with a Triple tap and that thing was amazing. It really does make it feel like a .22 :eek:

Got mine in this morning after being on a waiting list for months. The place I got it from only got 10 in stock and they sold out pretty quickly. Hope to be able to try it out on Friday. :43:

Will be mounting it to my LMT MRP Piston upper.

http://images112.fotki.com/v173/photos/2/201355/4806852/IMG_38108-vi.jpg

randy
03-18-2010, 1:17 AM
http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/

Ralphs break is worth a look it. For 223 it was really impressive in a Front Sight article. (the magazine not the school)

The disadvantages to a break are if you are a "tactical" guy it would give away your position. Noise to the shooters next to you. Sucks to be them they need to suck it up.

esskay
03-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Got mine in this morning after being on a waiting list for months. The place I got it from only got 10 in stock and they sold out pretty quickly. Hope to be able to try it out on Friday. :43:

Will be mounting it to my LMT MRP Piston upper.

MRP with Triple Tap... nice!

I think Valkyrie has some Triple Taps.

esskay
03-18-2010, 10:08 PM
The disadvantages to a break are if you are a "tactical" guy it would give away your position. Noise to the shooters next to you. Sucks to be them they need to suck it up.

Would add that muzzle brakes like those being discussed are also a big pain when shooting from low/unconventional positions like urban prone, roll over prone, etc -- they throw dust, dirt & debris everywhere! Triple Tap is better in this respect if you can stomach the price!

ar15barrels
03-18-2010, 10:19 PM
muzzle brakes like those being discussed are also a big pain when shooting from low/unconventional positions like urban prone, roll over prone, etc -- they throw dust, dirt & debris everywhere!

People doing that need to suck it up.
You are laying on the ground and shooting.
ANYTHING is going to stir up the dirt and debris...
Even a plain muzzle does it, just not as close to you.

ar15barrels
03-18-2010, 10:22 PM
I had the opportunity to try out a KAC SR15 upper with a Triple tap and that thing was amazing.
It really does make it feel like a .22 :eek:

Last I checked, KAC SR15 uppers ARE 22's. ;)
0.224" to be specific.

The DRis
03-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Welcome back Randall.

turbosbox
03-19-2010, 3:21 PM

odd looking, but I could see where that could work. i'll have to get one. thanks.

ParaLarry
03-24-2010, 7:07 PM
Any opinions on the Levang muzzle brake?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=524840